Storage Solutions Some points about WD 3TB external drive

v.Na5h

Skilled
just got a 3tb wd external HDD for 8038rs from FK just last week(tuesday sale)...
now it sells at 9.5k

didnt knew 3tb externals had a lot of drawbacks...
  • gpt needed for 2.2tb+ drives..
  • Advanced format...(AF)
  • and the dreadful hardware encryption by sata-usb bridge for external drive by WD...(means you cannot rip out the drive from the enclosure and use it as a internal drive )
hope the drive doesnt fail else im screwed big time..
as this is not my backup drive

and this drive comes with a 2 year warranty right? It's really sad to see them trimming out it. Gone are the days of 5 years warranty.

atleast some good news to hear...

just got a 3tb wd external HDD for 8038rs from FK just last week(tuesday sale)...
now it sells at 9.5k

didnt knew 3tb externals had a lot of drawbacks...
  • gpt needed for 2.2tb+ drives..
  • Advanced format...(AF)
  • and the dreadful hardware encryption by sata-usb bridge for external drive by WD...(means you cannot rip out the drive from the enclosure and use it as a internal drive )
hope the drive doesnt fail else im screwed big time..

as this is not my backup drive

I was going to buy this but the reviews on Amazon put me off. A LOT of people have reported broken USB connectors. The drive itself is fine, but the connector is very fickle. Read the reviews on amazon to get a better idea.

If you google “broken USB connectors seagate” "broken USB connectors wd” . You will find equal no of results regardless of the model no. or even brand itself. Anyway that’s not a issue for me since im never gonna remove it as its gonna be placed stationary/permanently near my PC[DOUBLEPOST=1375074060][/DOUBLEPOST]imho stay away from external drives if possible esp for 2tb+ ones
always get internal drive and a enclosure if you need a external drive
(also there are some problems of compatibility with 2tb+ drives with the enclosures related to sector size)

afaik even some of the seagate drives have the forced hw encryption

@v.Na5h
what do you mean by HW encryption?are you talking about data encryption(using AES encryption and stuff)? or you used encryption term to define sata-usb bridge dependency.
and is it(encryption) mentioned on the drive itself or you figured it out somehow? because after doing research i found people facing issues using 2+TB internals with USB enclosures and suggesting to buy External drives instead but if you cant take drive out and use it as internal then i am not sure i would be willing to buy an external one.....
so what choice do i have? :(
to hell with GPT,MBR and 3TBs :(

Back