• Dealer wanted me to buy Corsair RAM over Transcend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Transcend RAM was not compatible with my Mid-2009 Macbook Pro 15

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pkd

Recruit
I had some spare time in Bangalore to do a quick SP road trip yesterday. My office provided Mac was really running out of steam (4GB cant cut it anymore) and I decided to upgrade to 8GB.
This laptop supports DDR3 1066Mhz RAM up to 8GB in dual channel mode so I called up our favorite dealer for it. He said that RAM with an FSB of 1066Mhz was not available so we decided to use a 1333Mhz one.

1. Attempt One - Transcend 4x2 GB 1333Mhz Ram (2300INR each)
Waited for 30 minutes for these babies to show up. Waited another 20 minutes for everyone to finish drinking their tea and staring at my Macs exposed underbelly.

I7Amr50.jpg

The Transcend twins did not work. The guy tried sticking them in different ways, one at a time etc - they simply got rejected. Everyone in the shop then started harping on how Macs only accept Corsair which was insane but I went along anyway.

2. Attempt two - Corsair 4x2 GB 1333Mhz Ram (2900INR each).
The RAM took an hour to arrive.
Worked straight away. This didn't make sense. The dealer was either screwing with me by trying to get me to buy more expensive RAM, or he was correct.
The RAM is running at 1333Mhz (I thought it would down clock but surprise!!)

Analysis - Three beeps during POST indicates "no good RAM banks". Interesting to note that everyone suggested the more expensive RAM right away. Have you experienced this while upgrading your Mac? If this was a strategy to get me to buy Corsair over Transcend its pretty good. I am not complaining, just making an observation.

Its not an observation; to be on your face, your ignorance costed you dearly!
On this forum many people do use Mac($), you could have have made a thread asking a query and made up a more wiser choice!

Its not an observation; to be on your face, your ignorance costed you dearly!
On this forum many people do use Mac($), you could have have made a thread asking a query and made up a more wiser choice!
Your right. I only started using TE today :)

I do remember seeing on FK that Transcend RAMs are compatible with Macs. Maybe the ones you got did not down clock properly?[DOUBLEPOST=1371974952][/DOUBLEPOST]Edit:

Maybe its not compatible/downclocks with the 2009 model - http://www.flipkart.com/transcend-d...5TJV&ref=1b2b686a-565b-464c-b355-9a9161af85bf
I was going to buy that online. Transcend says that their modules clock down properly. It's odd that this happened. Ignorance or marketing :) I'm happy with my upgrade though.

IIRC MBP's have a proper compatibility list, very likely that the Transcend sticks were not the right part codes from Transcend to work with a MBP.

IIRC MBP's have a proper compatibility list, very likely that the Transcend sticks were not the right part codes from Transcend to work with a MBP.
It's interesting cause the dealer claimed to have done a similar upgrade a week ago. I guess you have a point.

I had the same issue with Corsair Value RAM and a 2009 Plastic Macbook. Got three beeps and no display. Turned out that the RAM wasnt fully seated but still clicked into place. A slightly firm hand and everything powered on like a charm.

Back