Video Sony announces HMZ-T1 Head Mounted 3D Display, makes 3D officially cool again

Virus.exe

Disciple
Source:[IFA 2011]Sony announces HMZ-T1 Head Mounted 3D Display, makes 3D officially cool again

Sony has announced the HMZ-T1, a new Head Mounted 3D Display, which they like to call “Personal 3D Viewerâ€. It’s basically the equivalent of watching a 750-inch 3D TV from a distance of 20m, along with a pair of surround sound headphones, except this time it’s personal.

gsmarena_001.jpg

The crux of the HMZ-T1 are the two OLED panels. Each of these panels is only 0.7-inch in size and have a resolution of 1280 x 720, which gives them a mind-blowing pixel density of 2098-PPI. Each of these displays on the HMZ-T1 are positioned in a way that they recreate the experience of watching a 750-inch 3D TV from 20m. Also, since these are two separate displays, it takes care of the cross-talk and the headache of watching a single display creating two images, as each eye is shown a different image, making the 3D experience more natural.

gsmarena_002.jpg

The HMZ-T1 has its own pair of headphones on the side as well that create a 5.1 surround sound effect, so you don’t have to worry about the sound. The HMZ-T1 connects to a separate box from which it gets its signal. The box has HDMI input on the back for connecting your source and an HDMI out for through output. The HMZ-T1 can work with sources such as 3D Blu-ray as well as PlayStation 3 3D games.

gsmarena_003.jpg
All this comes at a cost though and that cost is 60,000 Japanese yen, which is approximately US $779. Still, it is not prohibitively expensive and about the same as what you’d pay for a 3D TV. Except, the experience on this would be more personal but a lot better. The Sony HMZ-T1 will be launched in November 2011.

Source

Awesome. I was waiting for this type of device to launch or come into consumer market. Would love to see more of these products to launch.

Yes! Finally I can become Cyclops too! :p

It's an interesting product. IMO it isn't that expensive considering that all 3D products are very expensive.

I hope you can use 5.1 speakers instead of those puny headphones. IMO it would be a better experience. Ofcourse, the people around me who can't watch will be annoyed. :p

any device similar to this which plays regular movies instead of 3d?.It should have a storage inbuilt or should be able to connect through wireless/bluetooth etc to a storage device or even a pc?should also be able to play different formats like mkv etc.

any ideas guys?

Very promising product at a not so high price. Im in the market for a 3d tv at around 1.5 lakhs and I should keep reminding myself this is a personal viewer and cant replace a TV. The 750 inches dual OLED part is very tempting but buying 4 of these is not practical :( and option for audio output is a must as Im not a huge fan of SONY's audio products.

Vuzix Wrap 1200VR video eyewear does 3D with head-tracking for $600, now available
64h0dg.jpg

If you scored yourself Vuzix's Wrap 1200 side-by-side 3D video eyewear last month, you may want to know the company's VR variant is now available for $600 (about 100 bones more). With the Wrap 1200VR, you'll again be viewing a simulated 75-inch, 3D (or 2D, if you'd prefer) 16:9 display at ten feet away, via its dual 852 x 480 monitor setup with support for resolutions up to 1280 x 720. The VR bit comes from the included Wrap Tracker 6TC with compass, which enables head-tracking with three degrees of freedom. Better yet, its coupled drift control should maintain silky smooth visuals when you're tilting your noggin' to scope out the on-screen action. Out of box, these specs are said to play nice with most Windows machine's graphics cards and VGA connections, but adapters are required to rock them with your PS3 or Xbox 360. If your eyes are already tearing up with joy, you'll find full details in the PR just past the break.

Update: We initially reported the that the Vuzix Wrap 1200VR outputs video in simulated 720p, when it actually supports resolutions up to 1280 x 720 -- both WVGA monitors have a resolution of 852 x 480. We've updated this post accordingly.

Source : Vuzix Wrap 1200VR video eyewear does 3D with head-tracking for $600, now available -- Engadget

Back