Sony authors first Blu-ray disc

Blade_Runner

Skilled
NOV. 18 | Sony Pictures said late Friday that it had authored and encoded the first full-length movie in the Blu-ray Disc format, a milestone that will allow hardware makers to begin testing their Blu-ray players for software compatibility.

Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle was encoded in MPEG-2 at Sony’s Digital Authoring Center in full 1920 x 1080 resolution.

The 25GB disc also features full-resolution graphics and animation and dynamic menus.

“We are confident this achievement will help everyone understand that Blu-ray is real and poised to enter the marketplace,†Sony Pictures Home Entertainment president Benjamin Feingold said. “Blu-ray will bring the highest quality high-def experience possible to the home.â€

Added Don Eklund, senior VP advanced technologies, “We are extremely proud to deliver on the promise of Blu-ray. This is an important step for our industry in order to begin mass production of high-definition movies in the Blu-ray format.â€

Not all of Blu-ray’s promised features are ready for testing, however.

The Full Throttle disc was created using HDMV, the format’s basic interactive layer, rather than the more sophisticated BD-Java system included in the Blu-ray spec.

The movie also is encoded in the older MPEG-2 format used for standard DVDs, rather than the more advanced VC-1 and MPEG-4 AVC codecs included in the spec.

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't HD content be encoded using the H.264 standard? If it hasn't been then what's Sony really advertising? MPEG-2 at a higher resolution? Big deal..

Yep ! HD content should ideally be using the H.264 codec but the thing is there is no CE hardware powerful enough to process and decode it right now !

R520 can handle H.264 video processing, but it's a graphics card for the computer. What about Blu-Ray players that hook-up to one's television? No capable hardware decoders on that front.

25 GB !!!!

Yikes.. Downloading BD's thru Torrents is gonna be a pain now.

Man, i imagine how the hell am i gonna Burn PS3 Games!!

Blue Ray Drives releasing in March i hear?

Back