SONY Bravia VS Others

Jack

Disciple
Sorry to sound naive, but why do I notice that nobody here whats to buy a Sony? I was out in the market recently to buy a Sony Bravia EX400 and saw prices ranging from 37 - 40k. I thought it was a good deal compared to Samsung.

Could somebody point out why shouldn't I be going for the SONY and if not what brand should I be looking for?

Is SONY the only brand not supporting Divx? Couldn't i just buy a DVD player along that supports all formats? Does other brands supports processing Divx and formats other than MPEG?

The reason is May be Samsung is cheap and even if it is equal in price, the features like DIVX, MKV, MP4 playback... But i think as far as PQ is concerned, Sony is the best. It has a lot of features with regrard to PQ and SQ. When comparing a c530 and ex400 i came to know that the later's PQ is good and the same has 4 speakers unlike the c530 which has 2 speakers... So its upto you to decide whether you need PQ/SQ or media playback.....

Well there are lots of Sony owners here in this forum.The main drawback with Sony is their retail strategy,where all dealers have to conform to Sony SURE program(Sony Unified Retail Execution)which restricts dealers from selling below the MRP prices unless directed by Sony,this is done to prevent competition among dealers / huge retail chains.That said to be the main reason Amazon( not the other stores selling in amazon) doesn't stock all of Sony products,since they can't be competitive in price.

The current Sony lcds don't support Divx ,they only support mpeg4 ,2 and 1.AVHCD this applies only to models which start from KDL and not the KLV models.
But in grey market one can sometimes get the KDL model it also costs cheaper ,infact making it the cheapest and has the best bang / buck 32" EX400 at 28k ,but no warranty and bill.

But next year we may see Sony launching internet tvs in Asia,this can play all formats since it has a intel chip and a Android OS.Already people are trying to hack the Sony google/internet tvs ,so expect better features.

Sony like what Adder said their prices are same in all shops. So, we can't get it for lesser prices anywhere. Also when it comes to playing formats, its plays only MPEG2 which is almost extinct. While for a lesser price Samsung & LG plays almost all top formats.

Sony has an option of Extended Warranty which I don't know if its there for other brands.

I would be preferring Picture quality over the formats, since I could that covered with a DVD player. But is there a real difference in the PQ of a sony compared to an LG or a Samsung? Or is it all the same?

IMO, PQ of Samsung is way better than that of Sony Bravia. I did research for over a month before settling in for 32" Samsung 5-Series LCD and am very happy with my purchase.

mohitgamer said:
IMO, PQ of Samsung is way better than that of Sony Bravia. I did research for over a month before settling in for 32" Samsung 5-Series LCD and am very happy with my purchase.
What was the source of input here? Sony offered a warm PQ with the factory reset settings whereas Samsung offers a slightly dynamic PQ. Colors look vibrant on the Samsung displays. But nothing that a good calibration on the Sony TVs cannot bring about.

Like adder said, the only problem with Sony is that they stick to a single price across the country for all the models. The S.U.R.E. program was initiated way back in 2008.

Besides, the USB playback options are limited to a few formats. Sony can improve this with a firmware update but I do not think this will happen either.

Ok guys, here's something I found. IPS vs SPVA, Panasonic only makers of LCD TVS with IPS? - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Panasonic and LG are the only guys using IPS panels for their LCD line. Sony used to use Samsung panels until they signed up with Sharp but none of them uses IPS. Is that the reason behind the huge price drop of the Sony Bravia line?

So technically, wouldn't the Panasonic be a better option even though it can't read .mkv, divx and has the other features the Samsung, LG or even Sony boasts about? At the end what matters is the PQ and not the feature of a TV right.

Panasonic and LG are the only guys using IPS panels for their LCD line.

Philips and Hitachi uses IPS panels in their LCD lineup as well. Sharp supplies the IPS panels to Philips. IPS Alpha now owned by Panasonic supplies IPS panels to Hitachi. IINM Hitachi had a small stake in the holdings before.

Panasonic panels are pretty good as well. They come with a 3 yr warranty as opposed to the 1 yr wrty offered by the rest of them. PQ wise, I believe SPVA is much better than IPS. Input lags are fairly low for SPVA compared to IPS. Viewing angles take a hit with SPVA panels though.

^Just a correction.Lg supplies IPS panels to Philips .But philips do use sharp panels a derivative of VA based panels called ASV for their high end tv in 2009,this year philips tvs will again use sharp panel for their high end tvs .based on a more advanced UV2A panels like the ones found in the Sony EX700 and above models.
The low end and midrange philips uses LG panels.BTW the OEM price of LG IPS panels of sizes of 42" are cheaper then the 40" panels of AUO,S-lcd and Sharp.

Toshiba also used to use IPS panels but now are using SPVA panels in their high end tvs.

SONY the only brand not supporting Divx? Couldn't i just buy a DVD player along that supports all formats? Does other brands supports processing Divx and formats other than MPEG?

I have a Sony KLV32V400 and have played just about every format one would frequently use (except Bluray) and have experienced no problems during the video playback.

In fact, I mostly watch DivX encoded movies on the TV, thanks to the multiple formats my DVD player supports.

but why do I notice that nobody here whats to buy a Sony?

Only because there are other brands that have enticing (feature wise) models on offer, sporting a lower price tag (which usually seals the deal).

I think he meant playback through USB

I have Sony KLV32V550. It failed to read mkv from USB.

thetoxicmind said:
I have a Sony KLV32V400 and have played just about every format one would frequently use (except Bluray) and have experienced no problems during the video playback.

In fact, I mostly watch DivX encoded movies on the TV, thanks to the multiple formats my DVD player supports.

Only because there are other brands that have enticing (feature wise) models on offer, sporting a lower price tag (which usually seals the deal).

Guys I understand that SONY might not be the best featurewise but I was in the impression that SONY had the best PQ. After a bit of research, figured that Samsung used to provide the panels for SONY and now its SHARP or something like that.

Now its obvious that Samsung/LG/Pana.. has the overall package, but is there something that SONY still has an edge on? Any reason I should just blindly buy the SONY instead? I mean, remember back in the 90's where a SONY TV meant unbeatable quality which no other brands could match. Is there any thing of that sort today? Should I just settle down and buy a Samsung?

Well these days many companies use the same panel,despite Sony using panels from S-lcd a joint venture with samsung or from sharp.They still use there own custom designed backlight and color filter(again made by other venders to Sony requirement). The BRAVIA image processing is the one that helped Sony gain the no 1 spot from sharp in 2006 or 2007 in world wide lcd sales,ever since that its roughly in 2nd position ,last year it slipped to third posistion,but this year it regained second position.
It not that samsung and sharp use the same color filter,they again use their own custom filters different from their OEM panels.

In india Sony lcds outsell(excluding the grey market sales) the combined sales of samsung plasma and lcds,same goes to LG plasma and lcds.

Sony closed all it assembling facilities in japan and some other places in a effort to cut down losses.The lcds and playstation business were the only loss making division in Sony,which made them post their first ever loss last year in ever since the company was started.This year Sony said it lcd division are no longer making losses and may even make profit.

The closest competitor to Sony is not a japanese company but its samsung a korean company.Since they both use the same panels ,they should have mostly the same performance.But what you do get in the Sony is they have panel consistency,where as in the samsung you can get panels of 3 or even 4 different companies all with different image quality.

I own a EX500 and a Playon mini. Totally satisfied!

Compared same HD content on my SOny EX500 and samsung 530. PQ with EX500 is clearly superior. Could be that the Samsung I saw has an inferior panel, thanks to their lottery system! Avoid LG coz they are more concerned on their SQ than PQ. Avoid Philips coz that company likes to sell only inferior models in India. Look at the models they sell in Europe! And there is a long pending rumor of Philips quitting!

Go for Sony if u have the moolah...!

Back