Sony DSC W360 at around 9.5k - what are the alternatives?

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
I've almost made my mind to get a Sony W360 digicam, which costs around 9.5k at ebay after coupons. What are the other alternatives in this price range? I'm basically looking for the following features:

1. Should be compact. No bulky prosumers for me.

2. Very good image quality.

3. Should have optical image stabilization.

4. Decent indoor performance and easy to use.

5. Zoom is not a concern. 3x to 5x zoom would be more than enough.

6. Wide angle lens (24mm to 28mm) is desirable. Would be mostly used for group photographs, so a wide angle lens would be better.

7. HD movie recording would be an added bonus. Not mandatory though.

Please suggest if there is an alternative in this price range with the features mentioned above. Both Sony W350 and W360 satisfy all the requirements.

^^ True. There are a couple of other cams from Nikon and Panasonic too in that range, but they do not have a wide angle lens. From what I read, I understand that wide angle will definitely make a difference in conditions like group photography.

How is this one from Samsung? Any personal reviews from anyone? Samsung ES73
it is much cheaper than the Sony, but no optical IS (a downer :( ) and HD video; most importantly, I cannot find reviews that describe it's image quality.

Bump to this thread after a long time. Have decided to get a cam from the US next month when my sis-in-law returns from there. Budget is now sub 300 US$. Please suggest a good compact with the same requirements as post #1. How is the sony hx5v?

HX5v is one of the better cameras from Sony,its scored high in dpreview in all image quality parameters,It won the silver award and just missed the gold award "The Sony Cyber-shot HX5 very narrowly misses out on a gold award in this test, primarily for the reasons that we mentioned on its individual page" The reason being dpreview isn't fond of Sony menus.

But it won the 2010-11 EISA award for the best compact camera.
Comes with features such as sweep panorama

Back