Sony ericsson w800 joystick issues

Hey ppl,
m using a SE w800i second hand for the last 4 months.the joystick was strictly ok when i bought it but now it doesnt go down at all..i have to use up or side direction keys even if i have to go down.
so can i get it repaired or something?

I had suggested using WD40 in some other thread, I recently triend it on a friends k750i and it worked great, just spray 4-5 times with the straw attached, while the phone is switched off, make sure it doesn't get onto the lcd screen, you could turn the phone back on within 3-4hrs. If everything goes well the joystick should work as good as new after a couple of days or so, keep rotating the joystick so that the solution gets under it.
* Try this at own risk

Else you could take it to SE service centre will cost you 300 bucks or so if you got no warranty on it :)

^ The problem is repairable, but the entire thing can and will happen all over again. AFAIK when giving it to SE, they simply change the 4 way joystick button with a new one. So its only a matter of time before the new one starts giving the same problem all over again. IMO its a design defect, and SE doesnt seem to have corrected it over 3~4 generations.

Do you get WD40 here?

i think its better to give it to SE to replace especially if its under warranty.. my joystick lasted me a year with normal use .. actually it works pretty well if you avoid games :p

Oi... you can give this a shot... turn your joystick clockwise and counter clockwise alternately bout 10 times or so... and it should start behaving normally... I do this from time to time on my k300 and it works fine.

@bottle: Agree ! Make sure you keep it out of your friend's hands, since they're the ones most of the time who end up heading straight for the games and wreaking havoc on your joystick :p (I dont understand why, the keypad IMO is much easier for games!)

hmm anyway SE have improved it in K790i ......... It still acts strange sometimes, but is far more reliable then earlier phones..

Back