Sony imported less than 4,000 PS5 units to India?

sid41299

Disciple
Acc. to IGN India, Sony imported less than 4,000 units of the PS5 for launch, compared to the more than 4,500 PS4 units at it's launch. That's a pretty low number, considering the fact that it hasn't been restocked at all, and pretty safe to say it's definitely waaaay lower than what most of the rest of the world got. Ofc the pandemic is hampering everything, but at least a quick restock would have been nice, considering how fast it sold out.

India is the least priority market for console makers. They are taking a loss on the production of these console & want to recoup their cost ASAP so will obviously by prioritizing markets where people are more likely to purchase a number of new games as well. India is unfortunately not a priority.

I really feel like that shouldn't be the case though. Look at how quickly both the Xboxes and the PS5 sold out, hell, people are scrabbling to get their hands on the significantly-marked-up RTX GPUs even when we've only got literal scraps to work with. A few thousand more units would have gone just as quickly.

I really feel like that shouldn't be the case though. Look at how quickly both the Xboxes and the PS5 sold out, hell, people are scrabbling to get their hands on the significantly-marked-up RTX GPUs even when we've only got literal scraps to work with. A few thousand more units would have gone just as quickly.
It isn't about if they can sell the console or not, of course everything will be sold out instantly here, it is about how much the console sales will further generate revenue in terms of PlayStation service and games.

In our country that number must be less compared to developed countries & that is why Sony is targeting those places first. They would want to turn profit as early as possible in the console life cycle & for that they need to sell the console to people who are more likely to spend money on games & services. Eventually the manufacturing cost will start getting low & they would start selling it everywhere because just selling the console will start becoming profitable for them.

It is about how much the console sales will further generate revenue in terms of PlayStation service and games.
Are you talking about purchases like games, PS+, PS+ Collection etc.? I don't know much about the numbers for those, but outside of games (because there's still not many "Have to buy because of the PS5" exclusives, esp. for people who own a PS4) I feel like PS+ should be generating a decent amount revenue, right? At least for the free games, if not multiplayer

Are you talking about purchases like games, PS+, PS+ Collection etc.? I don't know much about the numbers for those, but outside of games (because there's still not many "Have to buy because of the PS5" exclusives, esp. for people who own a PS4) I feel like PS+ should be generating a decent amount revenue, right? At least for the free games, if not multiplayer
I am talkin about both games( Exclusive + third party) as well as services. Yes, they must be generating revenue in India as well through these services & games but I think that revenue generated per person on these would still be lower in India.

Of course, I don't have anything to backup my claim but this is just an educated guess.

Indian gamers are generally smart they know how to save money by reselling...sharing..buying on pc if its cheaper and so on.

We do not generate as much income per person for any console than gamers in developed rich countries.

Exactly! I Even if Sony would have sold out 10k consoles in the same day the money they would have earned from the sales of games would have been lower here than say in the states.

This is a estimation of game revenue from 2018 for all countries. Keep in mind that a lot of the revenue for India is from mobile and PC. This should give you an idea about why India does not matter in comparison to China, Japan, US and EU.

The fact is that individually, we spend on hardware because we are forced to but in general think that software should be cheap, free or pirated, despite the Indian IT industry being largely built on software.

SmartSelect_20210213-191116_Brave.jpg

This is a estimation of game revenue from 2018 for all countries. Keep in mind that a lot of the revenue for India is from mobile and PC. This should give you an idea about why India does not matter in comparison to China, Japan, US and EU.

The fact is that individually, we spend on hardware because we are forced to but in general think that software should be cheap, free or pirated, despite the Indian IT industry being largely built on software.

View attachment 100226
That's a ridiculous gap. Thanks for this, it adds a lot of perspective

Back