A77 specs
24mp APS-C sensor,
2.4 million dot OLED viewfinder
12 fps with AF.
19 points (11 cross-type)
Magnesium Alloy/Plastic
Mositure/dust proof.
1080p 60p with phase detect AF.

Comes with a new F2.8 16-80mm SSS (weather sealed lens)

Sony SLT-A77 Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Also launched is A65 SLT
same as A77
but with plastic body
10fps
15 AF points
Sony Alpha SLT-A65 Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Also launched is the NEX-7 " Professional quality in your hands"
24mp sensor
10fps
2.4m dot OLED EVF
magnesium alloy body
1080p 60p
Sony NEX-7 high-end APS-C mirrorless camera first look: Digital Photography Review
Also launched NEX-5n
16mp sensor
magnesium alloy body
3" touch screen lcd
optional OLED evf
Sony NEX-5N Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Also launched is
Sony LA-EA2 NEX-to-SLT adaptor which enables phase detection in NEX bodies and can also use A-mount lenses which is a boon for sony Pro level E-mount Video cameras.

Also lauched are a range of A-mount and E-mount lenses
nex7lensrange.png

Sony unveils four lenses for A and E mounts: Digital Photography Review

Nice ! But too expensive for me. :(

Will take its poorer sibling the A65 which shares the same sensor. :)

That is more affordable at $900.

Hi Guys.

I think it's the way of the future.

The other guys, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc., will have to move in this direction (EVF), or lose ground. Some say that within five years the movable mirror SLR will be history. I think it is almost certain to happen because EVIL (electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens) cameras embody most of the benefits which were once strewn across the key camera types.

Consider the attributes of these classic designs:

Rangefinder: Low light operation, Easy to see in near darkness, stable, no movable mirror, no blackout, quiet shutter, unobtrusive, excellent DOF control, available as digital RF. Problems: Parallax, minimal range of lens focal lengths, expensive, very limited performance scope, DOF viewing not available in optical finder.

TLR (twin lens reflex): Stable, non-moving mirror, no blackout, quiet shutter, near grainless enlargements, Good DOF control. Problems: Parallax, usually only one lens focal length, 12 or 24 frames of film limit, no digital TLRs, reversed image (L-R), DOF viewing not possible in reflex finder.

SLR (single lens reflex): Superior flexibility with lenses and attachments, TTL viewing, no parallax, supports DOF preview, excellent DOF viewing and control, supports many types of photography within one platform, available as digital SLR. Problems: Camera motion from mirror bounce, Screen darkens for DOF preview, blackout at moment of exposure.

P&S digi: Small form factor, unobtrusive, quiet, no blackout, no parallax, affordable, cute. Problems: viewing in direct sunlight, image quality at great enlargement, unstable/wobbly, sluggish response, poor DOF control (separation, little softness in bokeh).

Now, for a moment, consider the qualities of the emerging EVIL cameras:

They will have most of the best benefits of all the above listed classic camera types in one platform. I have indicated those above in GREEN. The new EVIL cameras will have very few limitations compared to the classics. And in fact, they will bring some new features not available in any of them. For example, full screen brightness viewing even in the dimmest light, and full brightness DOF preview.

Pretty exciting stuff. Brendon should be proud that Sony is leading the way ahead of Canon, Pentax, and Nikon.

:)

^^ Its right up there with any non pro DSLR. I used Sony's lower speced AF system (15 points) and its a big improvement over whatever sony last came out with. :)

So the 19 point system in the A77 should be even better or at least as good.

I compared it with a D300s and found little difference though I am sure the D300s must have been limited by the lens it was attached to. (Nikong 85mm f1.4 D)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

T42 said:
Pretty exciting stuff. Brendon should be proud that Sony is leading the way ahead of Canon, Pentax, and Nikon.

Ill be more happy if they just beef up their presence in the Indian market so I don't have to look overseas for lens options. :p

Choice of lenses and accessories for Sony SLR are very limited in india , especially if you are not living in metros , also resale value is very less for Sony body and lens . right now its better to stick with Canon or Nikon .

Hi Guys.

I'll be more happy if they just beef up their presence in the Indian market so I don't have to look overseas for lens options.

It is a bit bizarre that Sony has such poor representation in India. As regards Canon and Nikon, I suspect that they will have to address the EVIL technology as it faces off against the dSLR sooner or later. IMO, Nikon's "1" system is but a hyped up P&S digi-snapper offering, not intended to address the needs of serious imagemakers at all, not even in the micro 4/3rds space. The N1 will not compete with Nikon's or Canon's dSLR sales either. OTOH, it does nothing towards combating SONY's penetration into that marketspace with new EVF cameras.

I've got a hunch that Nikon and Canon have more to say about EVF in the dSLR domain sometime soon.

karizma.r2008 said:
buying a sony's lens will be a big headache in india. and regarding those 12fps i don't think it will raw, it will be jpeg.

Its more then 10fps with raw+jpeg according to a IR review based on a pre production camera.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Anshul said:
Just checked a review and the translucent mirror blocks almost a stop of light :)

Its blocks 1/3 of a stop,not a full stop.

Anshul said:
It's more than 1/2, probably about 2/3 :)

Wikipedia disagrees with you !!! :)

Single-lens translucent camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its 1/3 stops of light as per wikipedia.

So high ISO performance is impacted.

That said at low ISOs there is very little difference and the benefits of SLT technology- Phase detect AF during video, no mirror slap and phase detect AF during live view modes are some of the advantages of an SLT. :)

BF1983 said:
Wikipedia disagrees with you !!! :)

Single-lens translucent camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its 1/3 stops of light as per wikipedia.

So high ISO performance is impacted.

That said at low ISOs there is very little difference and the benefits of SLT technology- Phase detect AF during video, no mirror slap and phase detect AF during live view modes are some of the advantages of an SLT. :)
on top it says 1/3 and below 1/2 :p

Hi Guys.

Everything is a compromise in some sense or another it seems. Fortunately, it does not really much matter so much that a fraction of a stop is lost.

1. The screen you will see will not be darkened, since it is a hi-res electronic image.

2. The high ISO performance of new sensors outperforms earlier ones by at least a stop. ISO 3200 is about as useable today as ASA 400 film was a generation ago. That's three stops. ISO 400 will be no trouble whatsoever. That's about 1/800th second at f11 in sunlight. Not a big problem, really.

3. And, of course, there is always faster glass. The same not only provides better low light capability, but it also offers superior DOF control, and the ability to shoot in "available darkness."

Would you believe that back in the 60's I shot a film called Panatomic X rated at ISO 25? That was about 1/125th second at f7 in sunlight. It was enough. And there were no IS lenses. And we complain about ISO 3200 down-rated to ISO 2200 or so because of the beam-splitter's tax on the optical train? ;)

In the Sony SLT Sony compensates the 1/3 light loss with higher iso 1/3rd stop in the sensor so iso 100 in other cameras is equal to roughly around iso 125 in the SLT ,Iso 3200 in SLT is around ISO4000.

adder said:
Its more then 10fps with raw+jpeg according to a IR review based on a pre production camera.

Buffer size is only 11 images for raw+jpeg, 18 images for jpeg and 13 for raw. Disappointing figures, what good is 12fps if the camera pauses for 2-3 secs after every burst?

apollyon said:
Buffer size is only 11 images for raw+jpeg, 18 images for jpeg and 13 for raw. Disappointing figures, what good is 12fps if the camera pauses for 2-3 secs after every burst?

Valid point but 24mp image do have huge file size,since its fps is faster then pro level cameras and file size is also as large.It would probably need 5dmk2 size buffer.

The production model NEX-5n has been reviewed by DPreview its gets the gold award,looks like its the new ISO king better then nikon DSLR which usually used to have the edge in ISO.

^^ Hmm I checked sample images at ISO 1600 of it and Nikon D3100, and feel the anti-noise suppression is very harsh in Sony, plus at-least it seemed to be loosing a bit of color fidelity compared to Nikon.

Anything above ISO 1600 and all the crop sensors start loosing a lot of color fidelity. ISO king is just a benchmark phenomenon real life results are very close to each other between Nikon D3100 and this camera. The Canon sensors produce higher noise, but seem to have a slight edge in dynamic range. Color fidelity is an issue in all crop cameras at ISO above 1600..

Back