Sony NX/EX/V Series

aslugani

Disciple
I want to buy a 40" LCD. Only want to buy SONY.

KLV-40NX500

KLV-40EX400

KLV-40V550A/B

Now the V series is 6-7k costlier then the NX/EX series

1)The V series Does not have a ON-OFF Timer as stated on sony's site.. Is it really true?

2)Also there is XMB technology(not sure what it is) in the v series which nx/ex doesnt have...

3)V series does not have USB mpeg1/mpeg2/photo support(as stated on sony site).. Is it really true? A costlier TV doesnt have USB support?

Please help me choose out the three..

I am willing to spend a few grand extra, if it is worth it...

BUMP guys! I have to go buy it today itself! could you please help me out..

I like the aesthetics of the NX series.. But I am not clear about the features of all the three..

the V series is a 09 model,AFAIK it does have on/off timer.
XMB is just the PS3 type UI interface,all the sonys have them,except the really low end models.
the V series does play MPEG1 and MPEG2 and jpeg photos,but the play back capabilities is limited,better off with a dedicated media player.

the older V series has superior build quality and audio quality.if u can get it at a bargain price then it will be a good price,most dealers used to price it cheaper to get rid of stocks.

the NX500 is for those who prioritize aesthetics,on performance its on par with the EX400.

adder said:
the V series is a 09 model,AFAIK it does have on/off timer.
XMB is just the PS3 type UI interface,all the sonys have them,except the really low end models.
the V series does play MPEG1 and MPEG2 and jpeg photos,but the play back capabilities is limited,better off with a dedicated media player.

the older V series has superior build quality and audio quality.if u can get it at a bargain price then it will be a good price,most dealers used to price it cheaper to get rid of stocks.

the NX500 is for those who prioritize aesthetics,on performance its on par with the EX400.

SO V series has better audio/video quality?

I think i'll go to sony world and check them all out.. I am really itching for that monolithic screen!

Very well, I went to Croma yesterday with a friend of mine and both of us underwent a visual test of Sony's new line-up of LCDs and the Philips 42PFL5609. The Philips trounced all the LCDs with ease with it's color reproduction and sharp contrast whereas Sony had the poorest blacks and the colors seems to have washed out. Sadly I was eyeing for a EX400 but the grey bezel on the bottom (not visible on the images on the WWW) and the poor performance made me back out completely.

Do take a look at the Philips model - 42PFL5609. It was on retail for 57990. You may haggle a bit or buy it from another retail outlet. Although I did not quite like its retro looks with curvy designs, the build quality was better than the Sony models. The Sony NX was a completely glossy build which's essentially a finger-print and dust magnet.

Desecrator said:
Very well, I went to Croma yesterday with a friend of mine and both of us underwent a visual test of Sony's new line-up of LCDs and the Philips 42PFL5609. The Philips trounced all the LCDs with ease with it's color reproduction and sharp contrast whereas Sony had the poorest blacks and the colors seems to have washed out. Sadly I was eyeing for a EX400 but the grey bezel on the bottom (not visible on the images on the WWW) and the poor performance made me back out completely.

Do take a look at the Philips model - 42PFL5609. It was on retail for 57990. You may haggle a bit or buy it from another retail outlet. Although I did not quite like its retro looks with curvy designs, the build quality was better than the Sony models. The Sony NX was a completely glossy build which's essentially a finger-print and dust magnet.

thanks for the input mate! will surely check the philips one!

well it depends on the settings,the philips doesn't have a backlight control,so when u increase the brightness it increases the pixel brightness of the LC layer and the backlight,where as on the sony or samsung one has to adjust both to get the optimum performance.
the VA based panels on the sony have better blacks then the IPS based philips ,only the 40" version of the philips have the AMVA or ASV panel ,the 42" version has the LG panel.

even when i saw the philips 32" 5609 initially every body gets bowled over by its picture quality,since the factory settings are really good,where as the sonys or samsungs are usually set softer,the philips image processing in the 5609 by default applies some bit of sharpening,which can't be defeated.
the colors are howver good on the philips.

Bought the Sony EX400 @ 47.5k !

amazing picture quality man! love it!

The USB option is very handy!

Thanks for the help guys!

Bought the Sony EX400 @ 47.5k !
amazing picture quality man! love it!
The USB option is very handy!

Thanks for the help guys!

^ EX400 for 47.5k? You bought it from the grey market right?

PS: congrats on the purchase nonetheless :D

adder said:
well it depends on the settings,the philips doesn't have a backlight control,so when u increase the brightness it increases the pixel brightness of the LC layer and the backlight,where as on the sony or samsung one has to adjust both to get the optimum performance.

the VA based panels on the sony have better blacks then the IPS based philips ,only the 40" version of the philips have the AMVA or ASV panel ,the 42" version has the LG panel.

even when i saw the philips 32" 5609 initially every body gets bowled over by its picture quality,since the factory settings are really good,where as the sonys or samsungs are usually set softer,the philips image processing in the 5609 by default applies some bit of sharpening,which can't be defeated.

the colors are howver good on the philips.

That is so true. When I had gone to check the LCDs, all Sony sets were set to Vivid. Didn't know that time that it makes the colors appear more than what they are. If it is set to that, it really makes the colors look oversaturated.

yeah! bought from grey! thanks man!

Now looking for the Lumix Fz35..

Could'nt find in Karol bagh!

will go to palika in a few days!

Sei said:
That is so true. When I had gone to check the LCDs, all Sony sets were set to Vivid. Didn't know that time that it makes the colors appear more than what they are. If it is set to that, it really makes the colors look oversaturated.

So what does it actually mean?
Are those Philips ones that are getting a mention here not better than thie new Sony lineup (as I saw some guys here drooling over the quality of Philips) or is it the other way round?

I already own a Sammy so just curious.

kestrel5915 said:
So what does it actually mean?
Are those Philips ones that are getting a mention here not better than thie new Sony lineup (as I saw some guys here drooling over the quality of Philips) or is it the other way round?

I already own a Sammy so just curious.

well as far as build quality and sound quality the 2010 sony are inferior compared to the older 09 sony models.
the philips tvs do seems to have a solid feeling.

as far as performance well the philips has a slight edge in motion,the SD quality is better on sony,so is the contrast.

the major drawback of philips in india is their A.S.S and it appears that philips isn't that intrested in consumer oriented market.

adder said:
the major drawback of philips in india is their A.S.S and it appears that philips isn't that intrested in consumer oriented market.

Leave aside the A.S.S. I found it difficult to locate a dealer/distributor for Philips here in Mysore. I couldn't find a display piece of 5609 in any of the major showrooms. All are filled with Samsung and LG pieces. I have pushed my buying plans for 3-4 months hoping that newer models will be available by that time. My current choices are fluctuating between B550 and 5609.

^Why don't you get the Philips 42PFL9703 from one of the Croma outlets in Bangalore instead? Chaos, a member in the forums seems to have got a good deal on this TV which is miles ahead in terms of the performance compared to the 5609 which retails for almost the same value.

Hi askids ...
I am confused ... yesterday I visited a distributor @ KT Street, Mysore .. he offered Samsung B650 for Rs. 60000/- and LG LH90 for 71000/- .. not enquired about Philips. Still not yet finalised the model.
Shashi

Back