Sony : PS3 good enough to replace PCs.

PoBoy

Skilled
Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison tells German magazine Der Spiegel that the PlayStation 3's features make it a suitable replacement for a desktop PC.

In particular, he said the Linux-based operating system on the console's hard drive will have enough processing power and nongaming functionalities to render traditional PCs--most of which use a form of Microsoft's Windows OS--moot in the home. "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

Never.

Specially not after the C2D :bleh:... :p

Problem is, there will always be computer loyalist's...

So the PC will never die :eek:hyeah:

Of course Sony can't be seriously looking forward to compete with the PC instead of just 'PC Gaming' but i guess ita a start.

nevertheless, a good marketing ploy...

Trying to position a PC as a consumer electronic devie...or rather positioning a consumer electronic device as a PC too.....

Sony never learns...they said similar things at d launch of PS2..Geforce3 came up and it owned evrything with d first ever unified "Texture & Lighting" chip,

seems they think they can outdo Vista wid Japenese mumbo jumbo...pathetic =\

Everyone isn't a "computer loyalist". Many, if not most, of the people I know use PCs only for e-mail, browsing, downloading mp3s and for watching p0rn.

If a gaming console allows them to do that, they may not really need Intel-AMD-MS.

Coming to think of it, it may be a good thing, bring PC h/w, s/w & os prices down

PoBoy said:
Everyone isn't a "computer loyalist". Many, if not most, of the people I know use PCs only for e-mail, browsing, downloading mp3s and for watching p0rn.

If a gaming console allows them to do that, they may not really need Intel-AMD-MS.

Coming to think of it, it may be a good thing, bring PC h/w, s/w & os prices down

Yeah, true. Also, lots of people I know hate that the pc does not work perfectly out of the box(as in requiring installation of various utilities etc). HDTV+kbd+mouse+ps3 might be an interesting combo for some.

I don't see any console coming even close to PC functionality,The PC is way too feature packed and customisable.I hope Sony concentrates on better games, rather than presenting the PS3 as the PC of the future, or we might see the competitors running away with the console crown.

bull !

i dint expect that to be my first word on the forums, but anyway, this is a joke, the ps3 with all its bells and whistles shud might as well be an "expensive and highly powerful GAMING machine". Period.

cheers mate,

Tariq

Multiplayer as in online? If so, yes, but to a very little extent, Ps3's PNP and Xbox's feature-added Live is looking to be promising.

true.. the online play for the ps3' and xbox' is muuuch better than the pc... but as far as stuff like halo and cs go.. the pc is lightyears ahead...

If Sony really wants to relpace the pc, it will need to support enough functionalities in the ps3 along with a keyboard and mouse + reguarly hardware upgradation, every 2 years, with that no PC will ever be able to compete the PS3 without costin 10k$+

hunt3r said:
online play is much better than the pc??? :S Are you on crack? And halo is an xbox game.
i am saying it out of personal experience, certain games are really really gud on the sony... but games which require the mouse and clan play, nothing can come close to the pc..

and FYI, xbox is also a pc game, for which there was also a national championships held a coupla months ago.. nfin to harm mate, just my 2 paise on the PS3 becoming a PC..

which i bet it wont, since sony is toooo busy as of now trying to bring the cost of the PS3 down.. but it MIGHT as well work as a gud entertainment machine tho'... hdtv, bluray, descent storage space for recording...^o

^^PS3 hasnt even come out yet, so ur sayin online experience on it is much better than the PC by personal experience? ;) Even on other types of games that dont require a mouse and keyboard, the PC is so much easier to use. Take for example the you cant download in the background flaw in Xbox Live, which is think has been fixed only recently. And yea i know Halo is a PC game as well, what i meant was it was originally an xbox game. Well the main thing is, i dont ever see the PS3 coming close to the PC, except in VFM.

Hey..guys...I dont think PS3 or any other gaming system..can beat PC..
because PC these days can have 1GBGraphic Card...which compared to PS3...max is 256MB..:( .....so..yea....

PC CAN NEVER BE BEATIN'

Back