Camera sony slt a37 vs canon 600d

I am a total beginner in photography. My budget is around 30k. So can you ppl suggest me anyone of the above two or something of your own preference. It will be mostly used for Potrait or Landscape.

Thanks in advance.

A37 is an older model. Try the A58 instead.

Differences between the two -

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Sony-SLT-A58

Basically the IQ is where you might see some differences as the A58 will be better in some scenarios. The other difference is in the viewfinder. The 600D has a traditional viewfinder while the A58 has an EVF. You might want to check out the two before making your decision.

If you like shooting via the LCD then the A58 is better suited as its got fast AF when using the LCD. The 600D has a very slow AF when using the LCD (however when using the viewfinder the AF of both lenses will be approx the same).

Lastly the Canon has much greater support in India but frankly now all Sony lenses and accessories are also available for sale in India.

Its better to stick with canon unless you weigh exclusivity that much.As mentioned by others support and availability of lenses are at least ten folds higher for canon.
The difference is even more pronounced if you are in the used market for lenses.
Same when you want to sell your gear for an upgrade.majority of people will be looking for canon/Nikon.

Another advantage with canon/Nikon is when you want to borrow some lens/extra battery etc from a friend or relative

Any specific reason for the 60d or 1100D package.

Both are discounted and available at a very good price , 1100D is more than enough for a beginner and you can buy more lenses and accessories in your budget if you buy 1100 , you can get a 1100+18 55 +55 250 for 26.5K add a 50mm 1.8 still it wont cross your budget by much . these three lense with 1100 d will give you much better pics than a high end body and a single kit lens . And you will loose less when you upgrade . Also 60D is available for 42 K for 18 55 kit. that's a very good price for the features it offers . its better to stay with canon or Nikon because of the support , availability of accessories lens both new and used . Its really hard to sell a used Sony dslr .

Its better to stick with canon unless you weigh exclusivity that much.As mentioned by others support and availability of lenses are at least ten folds higher for canon.
The difference is even more pronounced if you are in the used market for lenses.
Same when you want to sell your gear for an upgrade.majority of people will be looking for canon/Nikon.

Another advantage with canon/Nikon is when you want to borrow some lens/extra battery etc from a friend or relative

hes not going to buy a lens every other day .. just the basic 3 lenses and he will be covered , and he can get it if he knows where to look , dont understand why people are so hard to pick up something new

A58 is better in every way has a bigger EVF which is a OLED ,has a better sensor ,faster burst rate ,better battery life ,in built IS and lots of other Sony features like sweep panorama etc.

As far as lens availability and accessories every lens is available in india .And in selected stores which have the alpha studio like in bangalore Sony Kormangala one can even try out the lenses including a 70-400g,70-200g and 70-300G and Carl Zeiss lenses like i did on my camera.Every camera was also on display including the A37,A57,A58,A77 and A99 and even the the RX1 and according to the Sony officials its going to be the same story in other cities as well where selected stores will have the entire range on display.

It isn't like buying a car with less support and getting stranded in some remote area with no service. This is a camera system and every lens can be ordered online. No doubt the used market is heavily skewed for Canon/Nikon but most of my Sony system is made up of used stuff and I got all of them at prices that any Canon/Nikon person would only dream off.

Just a year ago there were few Sony lenses available in India and Canon lens prices were much lower so I never recommended Sony to anyone. Now all Sony lenses are available and most are cheaper than a Canon lens so I have stopped recommending Canon now.

It is surprising to see that even in a top tech forum like TE, people are advising to stick with canikon because of their support and availability. I'd suggest OP to check whether his friends have canon L / Nikon G glasses, otherwise this whole "you can use/borrow your friends' lenses" doesn't make any sense. Its true that Canikon has a very higher user base in India, but almost 90% of those users use the entry level DSLRs with just the kit zoom lenses.
Regarding availability issue, Sony has made available all the lenses in India, even for the NEX series which doesn't count for even 0.5% of the ILC userbase. All the companies have realized the potential of Indian consumer market.

My advice is to go for A58 for the Sensor, OLED EVF and fast performance. If you can extend your budget for 60D, its a fantastic camera. But then again you can utilize that extra money to get more lenses. It all depends on how much is your passion for photography and how much you want/can spend for equipment in the long run.

Thanks to all for the advise. Will go with the sony one since the major upgrade for the lens will be prime and 50-300mm zoom.

Getting it for 27k from pepperfry.

^^ Would recommend you check it out first. I was going to buy a Canon 1000D when I first started photography but after testing it I didn't like the ergonomics and stuff so I didn't buy it. Go for the Sony only if you aren't getting a chance to try it out.

Hi all, still in some confusion. How abt the nikon D5100.
D5100 has the same sensor has in the A37 and A57 ,but the nikon is better at higher ISO.It also has a better rear screen.
versus the A58 the D5100 lacks
In body AF motor
In body IS
much smaller viewfinder
lower FPS.
Slightly lower battey life.
Really slow AF in Live View and movie
lower quality movie mode.

Thanks guys for the reply. After saving the moolah i am going to buy the Cam. But not confused with Sony a58 vs Nikon d5100 vs Canon 1100d+zoom lens + prime.

Back