Audio Sony WH-1000XM4 vs XM5

Sony's WH-1000XM4 and XM5 headphones are available at a discounted price of 16,740 and 23,740 respectively (after bank discount). I am looking to buy one of these. Is the extra 7k worth it for the XM5.

My main usage is calls, music, casual gaming and for travel.

Appreciate your help with this. Thank you.

Avoid the XM5. It has a terrible design and is prone to snapping at the ear cup ends. Not to mention that they cannot be folded properly, which can be a pain in the butt while travelling. Instead, choose the XM4.

However, if I were you, I would have got the Meze 99 Neo instead. Built like a tank and can outlast 5 times than that of either the XM4/XM5. And even though its wired, the portability is top-notch. On the other side of the spectrum, if your XM4s get screwed, Sony service centres here will truly test your patience.

Thanks @AINDRASIS_GUPTA. I used to have a pair of Meze 99 Neos and they were amazing. Had to sell them because I wanted a pair of wireless cans.

Currently, I am using the Sennheiser HD 350BT and they serve the purpose fairly well. However, the audio quality is okay and they lack noise cancellation.

Now that both the XM4 and XM5 are available on a discount, I am looking to upgrade. Mic quality is a big factor and that's why I am leaning towards the XM5 while my wallet is leaning towards the XM4 :D

As an update, I ended up buying the Sony WH-1000XM4. Got them on Saturday and have been using them over the weekend. Love them and I feel it was a good decision to go with the foldable XM4 instead of the XM5. The mic is okay at best which is the only con for me.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230621_021654_Firefox.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230621_021654_Firefox.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 69
Back