Sony Xperia U Review

scaled.php

Intro

After being content with a "basic" Nokia X-2 for almost 2 years,I got the itch to get back on the touchscreen scene after the loss of my Samsung i8910.
Was using my trusty N95 for a month till I arranged for the funds,just for some nostalgia.
One thing I loved about the X2 and decided a must have was the slim(breadth and thickness) profile.I hated the way a friend's SGS2 stuck out in my pocket.
And a huge display is no use without good PPI.

So i was on the market for a phone with the requirements of:
Android OS
Slim Profile
Decent Camera
Most bang-for-the-buck

and Narrowed down to the Xperia Ray and Xperia U.

I've said before that I am in love with(was?) the Xperia Ray,but what made me choose the Xperia U was the dual core processor.Better to be prepared if Jelly Bean is Dual Core only.
It was easy for me to overlook the loss of the microSD slot because I use my Clip+ for music always(except during power cuts) and I dont watch movies on mobile,so 4GB must be more than enough for a few tracks.
I do take a lot of pictures but I always transfer them to a PC at the end of the day for PP,so im guessing it'll be impossible to fill 4gb with pics alone in one day.About HD video,I have little experience about how much space a clip would occupy,Will test this later.
Another reason to pass on the Ray was the over compressed images from the camera.In comparison the U's pics seems better to me,comparatively.

In the box

scaled.php

Main Unit(Black color)
Extra bottom cap(white color) [Sales rep said he hasnt got the white body model till now,so choice was between Black+Pink or Black+White,got the Black+White]
Battery [In the box,so obviously its removable]
USB wall charger with microUSB cable(1 meter)
Headphones [bud type,not interested in testing]
Screen Guard
2 microSIM to SIM adaptors
Documentation

Physical

Front:
Physical styling is the same as the rest of the NXT line from Sony with the magical Transparent element just below the softkeys.
Center is the call speaker.Pretty loud and clear in a call.
On the left is an ambient light sensor and on the Right is the front facing camera.[Standard grainy affair]
Next to the front camera is the Battery Charging indicator.Its not a light,just a reflective indicator which is Red while charging and Green when fully charged.

Top:
3.5mm Audio Jack[No issues detecting PL-11 or UE.ti.10][You can customise which app to launch when you plug in an Accessory,pretty handy]
2nd Mic

Left:
microUSB slot.[NOT covered,might get dirt lodged over time,USB charging is supported]

Right: from top to bottom

scaled.php

On/Off/Screen Lock Key.
Volume rocker[Very long and dipped in the middle so very ergonomic]
2 Stage camera key[2nd stage seems very recessed,Needs getting used to]

Bottom:
Call Mic
Lanyard Hook[Very fiddly,need to pass the loop thru the removable cover and then loop it on the hook UNDER the removable cap]

Back:

scaled.php

Flash
Camera[Has a metal ring around it for added protection]
Speaker[Not very loud,pretty low volume with some Youtube videos,need to place your hand against the speaker to boost it a bit]
The back cover is rubberized[Gives a very reassuring grip to the phone and with the small size I dont think there will be any slips,but concerns about the rubberization to wear off along the edges in time?]

scaled.php

Screen:
Apply a scratch guard ASAP,the anti shatter coating on the screen is a MAGNET for everything!
A small size of 3.5 inches and a resolution of 480 x 854 pixels and 280PPI makes the screen amazingly crisp.
Text is readable without having to zoom in too much in the Browser and are very little Jaggys in the Animated Sony wallpaper.Everything looks Anti-Alised almost.
Viewing angles are good till about 45* horizontally and very good Vertically.
There does seem to be a metal rim around the actual screen glass,so any bumps to the edges shudnt damage the screen.
Below the screen are the 3 Android Softbuttons.They are not backlit but have kind of a silvery paint(similar to the Sony logo on the top) under them,so they reflect light in almost all lighting situations except total darkness.These buttons take some getting used to since the logos of the buttons are actually printed in the transperant strip but arnt touch sensitive.I found touching over the Dot and the Logo on the strip to work the best.
I do miss the popping colors and contrast of AMOLED but with the BRAVIA setting turned on takes it a step closer to AMOLED.
scaled.php

Over all the build quality is very good.The keys are located very ergonomically,Back of the phone is contoured to fit well in the palm,and the Metal Rim around the screen gives a Solid feel and along with the ruberized back,a good grip.
And as for my main concern,it slips into my Pant pocket and actually disappears! Which makes me wonder how well the Ray can disappear in a pocket...

Battery

Everyone's main concern with Sony's midend seems to be the 1300mah battery.
On my first charge cycle which took 1.5hrs:
3 hrs of wifi(initial setup of Timescape/IM apps)
5 hrs of EDGE
15 mins of GPS
and the continuous digging of a new mobile at full screen brightness.
After all that i was left with 30 percent of charge and had to charge the phone to 55 percent to let PC companion download a phone update(which I have no idea what it was)
Idling till 8AM
An hour of wifi for downloading Apps
An hour of Music
got the phone to 15 percent...and after idling for 2 hrs(powercut) was left with 11 percent charge.

11 percent to full charge took about 2 hours.

Memory

There is 2GB alloted for the phone memory.The other is the Internal Memory which is exactly 4GB.[Where is the other 2GB?]
The phone does come with a lot of Bloatware/trial/useless apps but they can be easily removed.After removing about 10 apps I've occupied 300MB and have 1.7GB free.

Camera

Interface:
The camera interface is very clean and minimalistic.On the left edge you have 4 icons:
Photo Type:Normal,Front Camera,3D Sweep pan,Sweep Multi Angle and Sweep Pano.
Scenes: Portrait,Landscape,Night Scene,Night Portrait,Beach and Snow,Sports,Party and Document.
Exposure Compensation: +2 to -2 at 0.3 Steps
Flash:Auto,Fill Flash,Red Eye Reduction and Off.

On the Right edge you have 2 icons(3 if you select Capture Mode: On screen Button):
Photo/Video toggle
Recent Captures.[This is presented as a stack of last 5 images which you can open up with a swipe,very cool]

In the Settings menu you have:
Scenes(again)
Resolution Selection:5MP 4:3,3MP 16:9,2MP 4:3 and 2MP 16:9
Flash(again)
Self Timer:10sec,2sec
Smile Detection:Big Smile,Average Smile,Small Smile[umm do these work]
Focus Modes:Single Auto Focus,Multi Auto Focus,Face Detection,Infinity,Touch Focus
Exposure Compensation(again)
ISO Settings:Auto,100,200,400,800
Metering:Centre,Average,Spot[Surprised to see this in a mobile]
Geotagging
Capturing Method: On Screen Button,Touch Capture,Shutter Key.
[You get touch to focus+capture ONLY if you select Capuring Method:Touch Capture + Focus Mode:Touch Focus.Time for such a capture takes less than one second.]

Camera Quick Launch:
Pressing the shutter button while the screen is locked launches the instant capture feature.Only Photo Type and Flash Control is available in this mode and you have 2 behavious options:
Launch and Capture
Launch Only
This takes a pic in about 1 second directly from the locked screen.[Very Useful]

ISO Test:
Very impressed till ISO 400
Full res at ImageShack Album - 5 images

ISO100 with Flash
scaled.php

ISO200 with Flash
scaled.php

ISO400 with Flash
scaled.php

ISO800 with Flash
scaled.php

ISO800 without Flash
scaled.php

Daytime Pics Coming Soon

Metering Test Coming Soon

Phone Performance

Quadrant Standard:
scaled.php

For Comparison Sola gets 2294
For Comparison One V gets 1994

AnTuTu:
scaled.php

For Comparison Sola gets 5415

Linpack:
Single Thread:
MFLOPS:40.382
Time:2.08secs
Norm Res:5.68
Precision:2.22

Multi Thread:
Mflops:63.361
Time:2.66secs
Norm Res:3.24

For Comparison One V gets 34.4

User Observations
Manual connection on/off [A specific application doesnt turn on/off the WiFi or Data Connection,need to do it from the Widget]
Transparent bar not used for notification [Instead you get a Blue color on the Battery Charge indicator which is very easily missed]
Phone gets hot on GPRS usage[no such issues with WiFi usage]
No Mass storage without Sony PC Companion running on the Comp[or am i missing a setting?]

IMO the display size has always been a deal-breaker for Ray.

I always feel Phonearena reviews are always a bit biased towards Samsung.
If Xperia U was a Samsung device, I am sure they would have rated it something like 8.5/10

nice review...thanks for it. Though am going for the Xperia Sola on Timtara.com for 15.5 after Rs.4k coupon off. Though I need to wait for 15-20 days which is just fine by me.

^^That site has got very bad repo. So I'll suggest you to stay away.

Ok I just got a call from them (placed a call back order) , the lady seems very nice, bluntly I pointed that i am kind of skeptical regarding your company repo since there are so many -ve reviews.

And the thing that shocked me , she admitted that things were not very suave in the starting but they have changed their business model. I don't know whether should I trust them or not but 4k discount is way too much.
DarkAngel whats your input. touzeen

@Dark Star - As you have mentioned they have extremely bad repo. As you can see 3.5k-4k below market price! Is it a sustainable business model? Nope.
Just check desidime. All the deals from timtara are voted down and not even a single person has a good opinion regarding it. Staying away is good for the 15.5k cash of ours and peace of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys among the Sony Xperia U, P and Sola, which packs the most bang for buck? I'm really inclined to upgrade from my Moto Defy to a new Sony smartphone. They are all so sleek and awesome-looking.

nikrusty
What is the actual MRP on the site? Is the coupon valid for anything on the site or only for the Sola?
If the MRP is 15k and the coupon is for the Sola alone (like cashback on Flipkart) then i fear it might be a grey market product or one without Manufacturer's Warranty.
kvikram
The obvious bang-for-buck phone is the U among the 3.But the P is too close to SGS2 price so no reason why you get the P instead of the SGS2.
For the Sola,the 4500 rupees you pay over the U's price only gets you a microSD slot

nikrusty
What is the actual MRP on the site? Is the coupon valid for anything on the site or only for the Sola?
If the MRP is 15k and the coupon is for the Sola alone (like cashback on Flipkart) then i fear it might be a grey market product or one without Manufacturer's Warranty.
kvikram
The obvious bang-for-buck phone is the U among the 3.But the P is too close to SGS2 price so no reason why you get the P instead of the SGS2.
For the Sola,the 4500 rupees you pay over the U's price only gets you a microSD slot

Summer Special

Check this, it's applicable for everything except 3 camera brands. And the discount is different for different price bands.

Guys, please reply ASAP, is this worth it? If it is, I'll order the Sola ASAP.

Is the site TRUSTWORTHY? Because running a scam THIS BIG for a site older than 2 years would just be disastrous. Which leads me toward a conclusion that it is not a scam (such a huge risk).

If it indeed is, I believe it's valid for 24 hours only. So they're trying to lure as many people to their site as possible, but if it really was a scam, they wouldn't do it for just 24 hours, they would do like a few days and let the thing spread like wildfire.

Just my hypothesis.

(If u reply, please mention me in the replies, so that I'm notified immediately)

@comp@ddict
Id say if a Site has Cash-On-Delivery,its not a risk to order with them.If you get the phone in one piece ,your in Luck.If you dont get it,you can always try a more trusted site.

Timtara has fantastic deals!

Please read fellows TE members...
http://www.techenclave.com/users/touzeen-22428/
http://www.techenclave.com/users/dark-star-3792/
http://www.techenclave.com/users/darkangel-25187/
comp@ddict
(how the hell does one get usernames with link automatically?)

Please, this site is 100 percent; LEGIT. What timtara.com's strategy is simple - Discounts by numbers. They wait for several days 15-20 days till they ship your product because they want to accumulate those many users. My friend bought Sony PS3 with games bundle for 16k and he got his item after like 20 days. So it's legit!! That is why I went for the Sola rather than the Xperia U. xperia U is under 18k so you'll get Rs.3000 off if you buy it. Check Gift Coupon in the side. Remember you can only use one Gift Coupon. When you register you get Rs.500 off gift coupon on Rs.2000 and above.

And no these discounts are not vaild for 24 hours only!! I bought mine on Sunday 27th night and the same offeres are on. Infact the coupon code is "T4040" = Rs.4040 off. So you get Rs.40 ka benefit more than me :p

Keep in mind shipping charge atleast to Mumbai is Rs.199. So Xperia Sola total rate is 15,639/- after Rs.4000 discount WITH OFFICIAL SONY WARRANTY! Certain ebay sellers are selling older Xperia's but with Seller warranty, meaning = imported non-official pieces. This is an official piece.

[URL="http://www.techenclave.com/users/comp-ddict-25565/ said:
comp@ddict[/URL], post: 1655719"]Summer Special

Check this, it's applicable for everything except 3 camera brands. And the discount is different for different price bands.

Guys, please reply ASAP, is this worth it? If it is, I'll order the Sola ASAP.

Is the site TRUSTWORTHY? Because running a scam THIS BIG for a site older than 2 years would just be disastrous. Which leads me toward a conclusion that it is not a scam (such a huge risk).

If it indeed is, I believe it's valid for 24 hours only. So they're trying to lure as many people to their site as possible, but if it really was a scam, they wouldn't do it for just 24 hours, they would do like a few days and let the thing spread like wildfire.

Just my hypothesis.

(If u reply, please mention me in the replies, so that I'm notified immediately)

@nikrusty
Dude,go ahead if you are so convinced about a particular site...others are just putting out their thoughts.
You dont need to sell the site like you own it.
Do get back to us about the experience so we can clear up the site's reputation.

Hi touzeen, very nice review..
I am also planning to buy Xperia U but little worried about 4GB fixed memory. Can we able attach pen drive through OTG cable for file transfer or to watch videos. Also tell me what is best price for Xperia U in shop.. :)

Hi touzeen, very nice review..
I am also planning to buy Xperia U but little worried about 4GB fixed memory. Can we able attach pen drive through OTG cable for file transfer or to watch videos. Also tell me what is best price for Xperia U in shop.. :)

Yes we can.

@Raj
Yes you can,but you cant keep it attached to the phone all the time,like a phone charm

maKRnJWoX4qDd1ClmKSemlCYmJaiol6foJw.

One more question friends. As specification says 2GB memory for application, is this memory is enough for applications? I never used android phone that's why I don't know about size of applications. I am not into gaming very much, but I will like to load lots of applications from market. So should I go with this phone ?

[URL="http://www.techenclave.com/users/raj-45069/" said:
Raj;[/URL]1657062]One more question friends. As specification says 2GB memory for application, is this memory is enough for applications? I never used android phone that's why I don't know about size of applications. I am not into gaming very much, but I will like to load lots of applications from market. So should I go with this phone ?

2 Gigs just for apps itself is great! You won't be using so many apps that it will fill up the entire space and even if you are, you are overdoing it!

Back