Sony Xperia Z Specs and Features

Oh someone is handling glass better than corning ? What is the source of this gem ?

There are many manufacturers who build more stronger glasses than Corning, but they tend to be thicker, and costlier. Gorilla Glass has also grown as a brand over time, no one would know what Dragontail is if it's on the spec sheet.

On the Xperia Z though, they utilise glass from two manufacturers, but it's not yet clear which glass companies Sony's chosen to go with. Perhaps a mixture of both Corning and Asahi, or some other.

^

Dude search youtube for Xperia active torture test. Dont just say anything without knowing the facts

First time I am seeing a glass company fanboy lol:p

^ A regular screenguard is not used to protect a phone's display from shattering because it simply can't. It's used to protect from scratches that develop from every day usage. Both Gorilla Glass and Gorilla Glass 2 can shatter as well as develop micro scratches due to dust particles or sharp metal objects in your pockets over a period of time. It just takes longer than regular displays. I'm not sure about this new display technology from Sony, but it's always better to use a screenguard than to repent later.
Metal objects in your pocket won't scratch the screen. Dust ? what's that.

Sand otoh will because its much harder. Does not matter whether its gorilla 1, 2 or n. Scratching happens when a harder substance comes in contact with the screen.

Watch out those on the coast and who like to go to the beach.

Metal objects in your pocket won't scratch the screen. Dust ? what's that.

Sand otoh will because its much harder. Does not matter whether its gorilla 1, 2 or n. Scratching happens when a harder substance comes in contact with the screen.

Watch out those on the coast and who like to go to the beach.

Metal objects such as keys do leave scratches or micro-scratches on Gorilla Glass over a period of time. I've personally experienced it. By dust particles, I meant find sand grain. Apologies for using the incorrect term earlier.

Xavier, here is my source :)

Now what you think ?

Had watched that video when it came out on the XDA blog. For every video that shows the strength of Gorilla Glass, there are several others that prove otherwise.

For example:

and

Anyway, it's not like I hate Gorilla Glass or any other form of scratch resistant glass. In fact, I want it to improve and reach a level where it is really scratch and shatter proof in every possible way. All I'm saying is that my old Galaxy S developed scratches due to prolonged usage without a screen guard. I live miles away from any beach, and rarely ever drop my phones. If it wasn't the keys in my pocket which caused it, then I don't know what did. Anyway, it taught me a lesson and my S2 has never seen a day without a screen guard on its display.

Had watched that video when it came out on the XDA blog. For every video that shows the strength of Gorilla Glass, there are several others that prove otherwise.
Vid1
He rubs the phone on the road, there is sand on the road. No surprise

Vid2, only towards the end do we hear he dropped the phone and it fell on its face and he speculates thats how it might have gotten scratched. No surprise again.

So its clear here that sand can and will scratch gorilla glass. It does not matter what which generation of gorilla glass is used because sand is going to be as hard as whatever glass they use, so it will always scratch the screen. Both sand & glass are silicon they will scratch each other.

Anyway, it's not like I hate Gorilla Glass or any other form of scratch resistant glass. In fact, I want it to improve and reach a level where it is really scratch and shatter proof in every possible way. All I'm saying is that my old Galaxy S developed scratches due to prolonged usage without a screen guard. I live miles away from any beach, and rarely ever drop my phones. If it wasn't the keys in my pocket which caused it, then I don't know what did. Anyway, it taught me a lesson and my S2 has never seen a day without a screen guard on its display.
Am not advocating people go about with a screen guard, quite the contrary.

What i'm contesting is the keys in your pocket did it. because if you see in my vid she attempts to scratch the screen with keys and there is no scratch. Maybe there is a certain threshold you have to cross but i kinda doubt it. If your keys are tungsten carbide then yeah, they will scratch the screen otherwise....

Something harder than your keys scratched your screen.

I forgot to add, don't have to be near a beach, if you live in a dry area where sand can blow in that's good enough.

I'm positing that sand or its equivalent is the culprit each time, every time. Its the most common, hard to detect if its fine and can do the job very well, unfortunately.

I've cancelled my Xperia Z purchase. There is more than a 10k price difference between this and the Nexus 4. Decided to go for the latter.

Bought it yesterday :p. Best build quality I've ever seen in a phone.
Agreed. This will give you a premium feel like no Samsung phone so far does. If I may, it matches/overshadows the build quality of iPhone 5. My wifey got this yesterday for 37.8k from RG cellulars, Kolkata. I have, of course, hijacked it since then :D.
Small observations -
1. Although a 5 incher this one is easy to hold. The aesthetics are spot on and you can easily operate it with a single hand (unlike my Desire HD).
2. The talking point is the display and it does not disappoint but neither does it make you gasp. Fans of SAMOLED screens can give this a miss. The colors are nowhere as Vivid (unnatural if I may) as the SAMOLED ones and at times it does appear a little dull.
3. The jelly bean runs smooth on this but I do find some micro stuttering which I would probably acknowledge to being a thing of Android rather than a fault of this phone. Overall, though the experience is much smoother when compared to my Desire HD (I know it's not saying much but frankly you won't find a huge lot of difference for real world use when comparing with the likes of SGSIII). I am yet to try out any graphics intensive games but temple run2 and the likes are a treat to the eyes.
4. Cold boot is fast till now. Will report back when more apps are installed.
5. It includes some mini apps like calculator, timer, etc which does not use up the full window.
6. Things I miss from my htc - the widgets are not resizable, contacts linking is easier in the htc.
7. Loudspeaker is bad. Single speaker and extremely feeble even for rare usage.
8. Battery life seems to be pretty decent. I started the phone @4 in the evening with around 60% charge. It was on pretty much ON the entire time after that. It drained out at 10:30. I feel for everyday use it should easily last a day and a half.

Yet to try out the provided earphone, camera, etc. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Agreed. This will give you a premium feel like no Samsung phone so far does. If I may, it matches/overshadows the build quality of iPhone 5. My wifey got this yesterday for 37.8k from RG cellulars, Kolkata. I have, of course, hijacked it since then :D.
Small observations -
1. Although a 5 incher this one is easy to hold. The aesthetics are spot on and you can easily operate it with a single hand (unlike my Desire HD).
2. The talking point is the display and it does not disappoint but neither does it make you gasp. Fans of SAMOLED screens can give this a miss. The colors are nowhere as Vivid (unnatural if I may) as the SAMOLED ones and at times it does appear a little dull.
3. The jelly bean runs smooth on this but I do find some micro stuttering which I would probably acknowledge to being a thing of Android rather than a fault of this phone. Overall, though the experience is much smoother when compared to my Desire HD (I know it's not saying much but frankly you won't find a huge lot of difference for real world use when comparing with the likes of SGSIII). I am yet to try out any graphics intensive games but temple run2 and the likes are a treat to the eyes.
4. Cold boot is fast till now. Will report back when more apps are installed.
5. It includes some mini apps like calculator, timer, etc which does not use up the full window.
6. Things I miss from my htc - the widgets are not resizable, contacts linking is easier in the htc.
7. Loudspeaker is bad. Single speaker and extremely feeble even for rare usage.
8. Battery life seems to be pretty decent. I started the phone @4 in the evening with around 60% charge. It was on pretty much ON the entire time after that. It drained out at 10:30. I feel for everyday use it should easily last a day and a half.

Yet to try out the provided earphone, camera, etc. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
The design is indeed stunning!!Colours appear to be washed out because they are actually washed out.:p.As per gsmarena review,contrast ratio is around 700.while in comparison,iphone5,optimusG,One X have around 1300-1400.N that stutter u get is due to sonys UI.My nexus 4 doesnt show any kind of lag.:)

Back