Sony Xperia Z Specs and Features

Does anyone know about a good Flip Cover for the Xperia Z? Also is there any Full Body screen protector for the Xperia Z? A Flip Cover is preferred more

The new firmware fixes almost all screen, battery issues. There's now a color calibration option in display settings. Feels significantly more responsive too.

recently got to compare Z, SP & S4. SP was the most impressive of all. For some reasons the demo units of Z & S4 felt quite sluggish & there were lots of small lags while going through the menu. The xperia Z had a HD video preloaded & it did not play smooth at all, the same video played just fine on the SP. The screen on Z does not feel as washed as on the SP, but while playing videos the colors were a little better on SP.
S4 on the other hand felt really cheap lookwise. The build is solid but the glossy plastic looks very chinese. There also appears to be a little change in screen quality from the S3 & Note 2. It does not appear as over saturated as previous models which is a good thing.

recently got to compare Z, SP & S4. SP was the most impressive of all. For some reasons the demo units of Z & S4 felt quite sluggish & there were lots of small lags while going through the menu. The xperia Z had a HD video preloaded & it did not play smooth at all, the same video played just fine on the SP. The screen on Z does not feel as washed as on the SP, but while playing videos the colors were a little better on SP.
S4 on the other hand felt really cheap lookwise. The build is solid but the glossy plastic looks very chinese. There also appears to be a little change in screen quality from the S3 & Note 2. It does not appear as over saturated as previous models which is a good thing.

You should see the xperia z with recent update the screen is now quite impressive
but all the xperia z has a bug that it some times does not restart goes on into a loop of booting and you have to completely reinstall........had occurred to mine today

You should see the xperia z with recent update the screen is now quite impressive
but all the xperia z has a bug that it some times does not restart goes on into a loop of booting and you have to completely reinstall........had occurred to mine today

The white balance options on the Xperia SP do not make any significant changes to the overall contrast of the display. Is it much more effective on the Xperia Z?
Yeah, the looping issue i had on my Xperia s , but what i do is while the phone is switched off , plugin to the charger & wait for few minutes . Unplug from charger & then boot it. Works fine that ways.

Anybody played about with any ROMs ? what results/improvements ?

Am conflicted between the ZL versus the Z.

Do poeple that own a Z and have played with the ZL wish they had a ZL instead :)

Ergonomically, the ZL seems better
- easier to hold, curved back over solid lines of the Z and harder to slip out of the hand with its texturised plastic back. So easier one hand fiddling.
- dedicated camera button, that also works as a focus button. Saw this on the lumias and wanted it. Ok, so there is a mod out there for the Z to turn the volume button to do this too.
- Louder sound 10dB more according to GSM arena but does not sound three times louder when compared
- Notifications beacon on the bottom, which the Z does not have, Never miss any SMS or emails. No need to turn on the screen.

Cons
not waterproof which means less unflapping though the flaps seem easy enough to get to.
less accessories, nobody seems to have heard of the ZL yet so decent cases are hard to come by.

Otherwise the specs are identical, this however does not mean ROMS that work on the Z will automatically work on the ZL, they need ZL ROMs. Mods however will. Given the Z sold much more and is more popular the spotlight seems to be more on the Z, not to mention Z has been out a bit longer.

When playing about with these in the sony shop, felt the touch screen response to be a little slow, not sure why. Will try with other models in other shops. They must have stuck a very thick screen protector on it but it did not seem like it. Apparently Sony has installed a shatter proof protector on top and prying it off is tricky. Dobable and i notice some people have replaced it with 3rd party protectors.

Just when i thought i nailed it with the ZL, i discover the ZR has a user replaceable battery :woot: The only model (so far) in the Xperia range. WTH could they have not done this with the ZL.

Its more water-proof (ip58, dunk it in 5ft of water) as opposed to (IP57, 2 feet). Course the thing with 'water proof' is seals needs to be maintained otherwise that moisture sensor in the xperias trips and Sony says sorry, you pay. By maintained i'm not talking about ensuring flaps are sealed but the durability of those seals over time.

Classic Nokia Lumia look, with dedicated camera button :D

The thing to notice here is the white ZR has a black bezel unlike the white Z or ZL. Better to go with black Z or ZL, but i have to say white on ZR looks better than black. A black bezel means little more compatibility with other case colours than white. That is whenever those ZR cases materialise.

I wish there was a texturised back cover on the ZR like the ZL. ZR has a matte cover so no fingerprints but a fun phone needs a better grip.

The ZR has a HD screen which is 4.6 inches as opposed to a more battery hogging Full HD one.
Same CPU/memory specs as Z/ZL means better response than a full HD screen. Looking forward to see what gsmarena has to say about battery, but its got to be better than the Full HD models. When comparing full HD vs HD displays i really strained to see the detail and could not make it out, course the HD displays were only 4.6-4.7 inches for a reason i suspect. So still can't figure out the point of full HD screens on devices this small.

The colour on the ZR isn't as rich as the Z when playing the same stock spiderman trailers.

Where the ZR gets let down is it only has 8GB vs 16GB onboard storage of the Z & ZL. That's a critical limitation, 4-5 GB usable on a device like this is, in this day & age is unacceptable.

Back