Sound and gap below touchpad

Hi,

We went to buy a hp laptop because it was fitting our budget. We were confused between the HP Pavilion 15- 2150 and 2008. Selected the 2008 but the model at the display in the showroom was having this tik-ish sound even if we press anywhere on the touchpad. I can understand the right and left click sound but sounds from the other areas sounded weird. Check this video

In the starting and ending part right and left clicks are pressed, the rest is random clicking in between. Is this normal? Just confirming as their spare parts+servicing costs a bomb. The showroom owner was very kind and opened a new box and allowed us to check the touchpad, it had the same "issue".

Second see the gap below the touchpad, it is very small but it is exposing the internal part a bit and dust will definitely go through it

Some units had this gap, some didn't. Same for the 2150 model. Again is this normal or can it cause issues in the longer run? There is no way to clean the dust going through it because it will require to disassemble every component. Our main concern is that these things shouldn't give issues in the longer run.
The showroom owner said that these are entry level laptops with gpu's so the oem's cheap out on things like this. This is a very big purchase for us hence these stupid questions, sorry.

@enthusiast29 @lockhrt999 @Kaleen Bhaiya @nRiTeCh

Thanks

The showroom owner said that these are entry level laptops with gpu's so the oem's cheap out on things like this.
This is true... Even I have a similar opening. Companies have e started compromising on the quality given the inflation. But I do observe clicking on the entire pad rather than only left and right. Never bothered about it.

I service my laptop when I get time, just for the sake of adding thermal paste and ask him to clean it.

While minute dust cannot be prevented, ensure there are no eatables nearby. These trackpads are pretty resilient, but then again quality will vary as per the price.

Some units had this gap, some didn't.
Why didn't you opt for these models, for the sake of peace of mind.

Everything is normal. Enjoy your new purchase.

Don't worry about the dust. Laptops aren't dust proof, they are rather dust magnet thanks to internal fan.

Why didn't you opt for these models, for the sake of peace of mind.
I found paint issues on those laptops. Paint chipping kinda stuff. No unit was perfect.

Anyways if one intends to keep a laptop for a longer period of time then can this sound and gap be ignored at all? Just don't want it to create an issue later on. The service part costs a bomb. 1800 just for home visit then labour and spare part charge.

Even I have a similar opening

Which make and exact model?

Unsure on gap but yes the sound is perfectly fine...I enjoy those sounds on all laptops at home..
I can understand the right and left click sound but sounds from the other areas like centre sounded weird even if we put a finger on it and even if it is not pressed.
No laptop above 70k had these "issues"

I can understand the right and left click sound but sounds from the other areas like centre sounded weird even if we put a finger on it and even if it is not pressed.
No laptop above 70k had these "issues"
Its fine. My friends HP which costs some 85-90k too has sounds across the pad. Will say thats how trackpads are designed or supposed to work. Now for those where the sound only comes either on L-R then no idea but ideally there shouldn't be any concern as such.
Gaps usually points to swollen battery which is either dying/died or served its purpose fora good 3-5yrs. Then even the keyboard portion bulges from some corner.
Have heard that after replacement of few parts the trackpad/keyboard area has gaps and was fixed again visiting the service center as it wasn't assembled properly.
For a brand new laptop question is better to be asked to the salesperson or YT is your friend..

Selected the 2008 but the model at the display in the showroom was having this tik-ish sound even if we press anywhere on the touchpad. I can understand the right and left click sound but sounds from the other areas sounded weird. Check this video
When this happens with higher end laptops. The solution is a piece of paper, placed underneath, to reduce the play .
Second see the gap below the touchpad, it is very small but it is exposing the internal part a bit and dust will definitely go through it
Correct. Nothing can be done about mouse pad. But look up keyboard covers for your model. More dust gets in through the keys and a cover will also avert a spill if you're unlucky.
Some units had this gap, some didn't. Same for the 2150 model. Again is this normal or can it cause issues in the longer run? There is no way to clean the dust going through it because it will require to disassemble every component. Our main concern is that these things shouldn't give issues in the longer run.
You wil need to remove the back every year or two to give it a clean because there will be dust inside and this can lead to excess heating otherwise. More heat means more wear and tear, more strain on cooling fans that will attract lint and need to be declogged, faster battery wear etc.

Think of it as preventative maintenance.

Check out dissassembly videos if avaialble of the model you are interested to get an idea. Do it now.

The showroom owner said that these are entry level laptops with gpu's so the oem's cheap out on things like this. This is a very big purchase for us hence these stupid questions, sorry.
They cheap out on cooling. So it gets hotter sooner which affects cpu performance and causes other issues as mentioned. Depends what you're doing as well.

Last edited:
@enthusiast29 @lockhrt999 @Kaleen Bhaiya @nRiTeCh @blr_p

Purchased it. The dealer was giving good discount on ssd so got one too. When his guy opened the back cover to install the same, two out of three screws holding the ssd bay are stripped and are very very tight

He tried his best to open them but they are stripped and tight. We also tried ourselves but stopped as the flex was too much. Neither the showroom guys nor us have the expertise or the devices used for drilling and soldering, one of the methods mentioned online. Since billing was done so nothing could be done. Called their customer support and explained them the issue. Harassment--Packard said that as rest of the unit is fine and we are trying to install a third party hardware so they won't do anything. They never cared about the stripped and tight screws. Tried the rubber band method but same result. We are devastated, this is so heartbreaking. What should we do?

Correct, using the wrong screwdriver did this perhaps. These look like Hex screws if I'm not wrong because if it were philips head then it would have been easy to open. I wouldn't recommend using power tools on small electronics.

Dealer ne khola ha ussi se theek krwao kaise bhi. That's why I don't trust these people at all and do it myself by learning from youtube videos.

I think it's a fault of the dealer. He didn't use correct screwdriver or doesn't know how to work the screws. He should sort it out. It's not your fault.
Bhai he is directing us towards the oem and oem is starightaway saying warranty void even if we open the back cover. We asked them why do they provide space for a hard disk and ram then they didn't say anything. We are on our own. How to fix this now? + @enthusiast29

Edit- I asked an electronics shop. These screws don't cost much but the problem is how to get them out :(

Bhai he is directing us towards the oem and oem is starightaway saying warranty void even if we open the back cover. We asked them why do they provide space for a hard disk and ram then they didn't say anything. We are on our own. How to fix this now? + @enthusiast29
Telephonic or verbal conversation has no meaning. Take written communication and confirmation from the company that opening the laptop back cover voids warranty and forward that to their Regional officers and higher-ups.

If this is the case then any and all upgrades on the laptop will void warranty and pretty sure that's nowhere documented in their legal end-user agreement.

As for opening the screws you can try using some sort of rubber like thing like cycle tyre tube piece between the screw and screwdriver and then force turning the screws. I'm not an expert and at this point some jugaad is the only way out.

Last edited:
Back