Audio Sound card needed

staticsid

Disciple
I want to buy a sound card for getting the most out of my headphones. Just wanted to check with you guys if there is anything out there (in the consumer grade range) better than Xonar Essence STX. Would be great if you can suggest a few names. Thanks in advance.

Well the thing is, i want to know the best solutions available irrespective of which headphone i have.

But since you asked, I have a pair of HD 428s. But besides this one I also have frequent access to a friend's HD 280 Pros and Audio Technica M50s. And i'm planning to invest in better cans very soon :)

^

If you have got enuff budget, I will advise to go for a DAC separately. It is lot lot better than any other sound card. What is your budget? If you have 14-15k budget, get the Maverick D1 Audio DAC, I am using it for last 7 months and its.... its just pure awsomeness. It also has the ability to drive most of the low-medium level cans to their full potential.
Exp - Cans like HD555, HD595, AD700, AD900, M50, Beyerdynamic DT 880/DT990 and lots of more.

^Actually between the Maverick D1 and the STX/ST I'd say the STX would be a better investment minus the tube pre-outs from the D1. I have the D1 and I figured out that the ST is a better (and a cheaper) investment since I happened to listen to the ST's out fed to an amp and a pair of bookshelves.

I believe the ST can very well drive high-impedance cans as well.

^

You used a separate amp with the ST. With Maverick D1, you wont need an amp because it can single handedly produce large enuff output. A decent separate amp will cost 10k+. Also, separate well built DACs are always better than any onboard sound card.

The ST is designed to run cans upto 600hz with ease. It can easily run high end beyers or senn hd650's with ease. I would strongly suggest an asus ST over a d1.
Titana a TE member has a stx and uses it to run high end cans. You could probably msg him for more details.

Gannu said:
...since I happened to listen to the ST's out fed to an amp and a pair of bookshelves.

I believe the ST can very well drive high-impedance cans as well.

I didn't quite get you. You heard the ST source amped and through bookshelf speakers? Isn't that strange? To make an assessment i mean...

^ He means to say that he only compared the stx & D1 while listening to speakers(which would need a speaker amp).In such comparison ST/X fared better than D1, so apparently the DAC section of xonar is superior to D1. That concurs with the impressions that I got from forum member esanthosh who owns both STX & D1.

As for the headphone amp of Xonar ST/X , I found it quite versatile & it was able to handle everything from low impedance Denons to high imp. Beyers & managed my orthos pretty well too. I also find its performance quite admirable for the price.

It isn't about what they are called but about the circuitry & quality of components used.

The soundcards have some inherent disadvantages :
1) They feed of noisy PC power supply.
2) They are subject to EMI/RFI disturbances inside PC
2) Most manufacturers targeted gamers & not music listeners as their primary market which meant using cheaper components.

This led to a situation that most external DACs were considered superior to sound cards.
However things have changed in past few years with the introduction of audiophile sound cards like Xonar STX.

The STX boasts of :
1) EMI shield
2) A very competent power filtering circuit
3) & Most importantly a good design & quality components ( TOTL Burr-brown DAC & headphone amp chips, sanyo-oscon/Nichicon Japanese capacitors)

It can certainly compete with most entry level external DACs

Absolutely. I have owned the Maverick D1 and they are not as good as the Xonar STX, neither the dac nor the amp section. Hence I completely agree with ST/X > Mav D1 for a desktop pc setup.

Unless you own a laptop ;)

titana said:
^ He means to say that he only compared the stx & D1 while listening to speakers(which would need a speaker amp).In such comparison ST/X fared better than D1, so apparently the DAC section of xonar is superior to D1.
Bang on! That was precisely what I meant. :)

So has the OP zeroed in on anything yet?

You may also like to consider Audnist HUD-MX1. It has by far the best headphone amp out of all three. Kindly redefine your parameter and you would be able to get your answer.

Here is our recommendation based on demo of all three products.

Audnist HUD-MX1 : If you wish to use it with a portable setup and PC. It has the best headphone amp out of all three.

Asus ST or STX: If you wish to use it with PC only. Has an excellent line out. Good headphone amp

D1: If you wish to use it with CD Players, PSP, PC etc has the best set of interface. Descent headphone amp. It has a tube out for all digital and analogue source, making D1 a preamp for any upgrades in future.

Disclaimer: We are the dealers for Asus. Distributor for Audnist and Maverick Audio.

Back