PC Peripherals Sound Card Problem

Apex

Skilled
Hi,

I tried installing a SB Live! 24-bit on my Intel D865GBF mobo. I followed all required procedures as per my knowledge like...Uninstalled old SoundMax drivers, Disabled onboard audio in BIOS, Installed new Creative SB drivers and everything looked set. After all these, I am unable to hear any sound from my speakers. :hap5:

Evrything looks fine in Device Manager. Just to make sure there are no conflicting drivers, I've even uninstalled Legacy Audio, Legacy Video, Audio Codec etc. Now there's only SB Live! 24-bit under Sound, Video and Game controllers. I've tried reseating the card on another PCI slot but the problem exists. I dunno what else to do. When I try playing a song with foobar2000, the seekbar doesn't progress.

Plz help me out. Thanx in advance. :hap2:

TheMask said:
Did u try running "Creative Diagnostics" and check if the hardware functioned properly, and drivers installed correctly?

Yup..did that as well. Everything is PASS but still no sound.

Did you test whether you hear the sound through other media players?

Check whether in the output preferences of foobar, you have selected the SB Live as kernel streaming or under the configured ASIOs you may have.

Sometimes, if you are using an old config of foobar, the output settings get corrupted.

If it seems likes a driver issue, get the latest SBlive drivers from Creative website. I was using the old drivers too. They were buggy to say the least and outright crap if i say it rightly. I had problems whenever i used bass redirection with them. Plus they were too tightly integrated with that other pos CMS.

Da recent ones which came out for vista are lean and work perfectly.

First, use Device Manager to reinstall the Legacy drivers if they haven't re-appeared. Chances are they already have.

Second, try with other applications to see if the problem is only with Foobar. If it is only with Foobar, then you need to re-assign the output devices. When you change soundcards Foobar still looks for the older card, and has to be manually reassigned.

If the problem is a system-wide issue, try another driver or the kxdriver. Also try moving the card to another slot.

I'm almost 100% sure it's a foobar issue (not fubar), but do report back!

Thanx for the replies guys. Its not a foobar only issue. I've just tried playing a song with WMP11, still no sound, the bar progressed for 3 secs and then freezed and then skipped to 20th sec and then progressed for another 3-4 secs and then freezed again. With VLC, it shows the video but plays no sound. I'm using the latest drivers from Creative site now but the prob exists.

No, the legacy drivers or codecs din't re-appear. How do I install them again? :ashamed: I'll also try and search for other drivers and see if that helps. :(

try fiddling with the resampling rates in the creative device manager. change it to 16 bit and 44.1Khz if it was 24 bit and check again. the sb-live does resampling in software and may be that is the problem. if all else fails, try it on a fresh winxp install or another rig to check whether it is a hardware issue. i hope you didn't touch the ics of the card since they have no good protection for esd.

also chk control panel sound setting it must be having your old sound setting try checking that also had same problem with my Altec lansing VS3251

greenhorn said:
the creative diagnostics has an option to play sound through the different speakers. does that work?
Don't have that creative diagnostics tool after I upgraded to the latest creative drivers. Is there any standalone diagnostic tool available?
..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
try fiddling with the resampling rates in the creative device manager. change it to 16 bit and 44.1Khz if it was 24 bit and check again. the sb-live does resampling in software and may be that is the problem.
tried that as well...no results. :(
..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
if all else fails, try it on a fresh winxp install or another rig to check whether it is a hardware issue. i hope you didn't touch the ics of the card since they have no good protection for esd.
Re-installing XP is out of question for now. :p If everything else fails, I'll get the soundcard checked on another PC.
Kumar said:
^^Most probable cause. My SB24bit has the same problem...even afterdisabling the onboard audio from the BIOS and reinstalling the OS (Vista and XP) it did not work...

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/how-use-2-sound-cards-same-86590.html
Thanx for the link. I think I'll re-enable the Onboard Sound and install the Soundmax drivers again. :eek:hyeah:
delhiboy1000 said:
@APEX: I'm sure u wud hav been careful; but check again if u hav connected your speakers to the SBlive! lineout !
LOL..that's the first thing I checked when the problem started. :)
Ero-Sannin said:
also chk control panel sound setting it must be having your old sound setting try checking that also had same problem with my Altec lansing VS3251
No, everything is fine there.

Uninstall all audio drivers in safe mode. Once that is done, boot into the regular Windows mode, and do a manual search for new PnP devices. The drives should load automatically. If it doesn't happen, reload DirectX. that should fix the legacy bit.

Now try the Kxdrivers. Use 3539, and report back with the results. Note that the sound may appear at the rear speaker outlets to start with, this is totally intentional and done for a good reason. I think it's kX Project Official site -- Introduction...

Used the Kxdrivers as well with no positive results. My card is listed as unsupported so no wonder it din't work. :p No music for last 24 hrs so I've re-enabled the onboard and installed Soundmax drivers again. Onboard sound is working alrite. The SB Live 24! is still installed but not working. :no:

This might work by a long shot: uninstall SoundMax drivers like you normally would » reboot into safe mode and use Driver Cleaner Pro to cleanup SoundMax files » reboot into safe mode and install SB Live! drivers from your CD (not what you downloaded) » cross your fingers, restart and hopefully it works :)

Back