PC Peripherals Sound Cards capable of playing DVD-Audio

espeez

Disciple
My Audigy2 ZX can play DVD-Audio. Are there any other (read cheaper) sound cards that are capable of playing DVD-Audio? Need to pick up one for another rig.

espeez said:
My Audigy2 ZX can play DVD-Audio. Are there any other (read cheaper) sound cards that are capable of playing DVD-Audio? Need to pick up one for another rig.

I just spent the last one hour searching for a way to play DVD-Audio on my friends Live Value sound card and came across this...

WinDVD Plays DVD-Audio
September 12, 2003

InterVideo breaks the Audigy 2's exclusive ability to play DVD-Audio on PCs. An optional DVD-Audio Pack will be available for WinDVD 5 Platinum and Gold editions to allow DVD-Audio playback on any sound card.
Source: ALive!

^^WinDVD downsamples to 16bit on cards other than a2zs and xfi. Not that it matters cos Audigy2 and XFi sound pretty crappy on their analog outputs anyway :p. Lamest thing about dvd-audio is all the $hitty copy protection which doesn't allow the high resolution signal (even stereo) to be transmitted over spdif/toslink. I'm not sure whether its a DVD-Audio issue or a creative card issue but either way its lame for peepz like me who dont use the analog outs on their sound cards.

^DVDA issue. Only Denon seem to have cracked that, with a proprietary link between certain SACD/DVDA players and amps (Denon, of course!)

^^ Well a number of companies offer that, including pioneer and sony. It'll only work with the player and reciever of the same company, of course :p The first company to offer this, was of course Meridian. Why? Cause DVD-Audio is encoded using a technique called MLP, which stands for Meridian Lossless Packing :D

Back