Audio Sound Proofing Services/Materials

I need to sound proof a room, especially the low frequencies, now I have read plenty online but I was wondering if there are any local companies offering such services and the related materials. Preferably in Kolkata.

Any info would be appreciated, be it companies offering full services or companies that just offer certain materials or even your own experiences/suggestions regarding sound proofing a room.

I am aware that Dynamat has an Indian distributor but that's about it.

Thanks.

Firstly, frequencies below 200Hz are the hardest to rid yourself of. Also it is not possible to fully control them by speaker placement, as the primary room modes will always surface, even after room treatment.

That said, the most successful studios usually use a double-wall structure, with air in between the walls. If this is not possible in your house, you'll have to look at adding mass and absorption to your walls.

Cork board, fiberglass and glasswool all make good absorbers. You can build bass traps out of glass wool and Recron/Dacron, mounted on fiberglass frames. Wood can be used, but it is resonant and may add it's own sympathetic vibration.

For corner loading, you can use multiple layers of dense open-cell foam, as the triangular blocks are difficult to find here. EQ can help you solve some issues at the lower end, which is what most studios that I know do.

To Kolkata: Good luck. Look up the Yellow Pages for somebody who can help. Usually studio supply and equipment companies can help. I don't know of any retail outlet who can.

No, Thermocol is not very absorptive.

The density of a material gives you a good clue of how much absorption you can expect out of it (though it's not a reference point). The more solid the material (lack of flex), the easier it will transmit the sound. Also a good guide is the reflectivity of light off the surface (no kidding). Thermocol is reflective so it will bounce the waves off and you can use it to control reflections, but not for absorption. Very similar to its use in studios.

In a pinch, thick (>4") bedding foam works well and is easier to handle than glasswool, and it's not hazardous either. Professional acoustic foam is very similar, except it is less dense and has more open pores. Cork board is another material that is excellent for this purpose, and a zigzag matrix of corkboard underlaid with one or two layers of open-cell acoustic foam can increase sound isolation by as much as 10dB over brick wall, provided your windows are either not present or offer similar levels of isolation.

10dB is essentially cutting sound transmission by 60%, which is a pretty big deal.

Yes, it usually can, but it's not a suitable material for floors, as it's very tough to clean.

For the floor, a raised platform (usually wood) can be topped off with carpet, this will isolate the actual floor area.

Marble is highly reflective, so no, not much you can do if you're not willing to cover it. Consider a few throw rugs to cut a bit of reflections, but you will not be able to soundproof the floor.

In any case, usage of isolators below speakers will help cut down transmission of some sound to the floor. Can't do anything about airborne sound coupling through the floor though.

How about using perforated acrylic rubber arround walls as sound absorber, it will also reduce sound vibration. if possible cover the floor with good mattress to avoid wave reflection.

Back