Audio Speaker recommendation for home use.

Warchief

Recruit
I currently have F&D f203g 2.1 channel audio system. But now I am thinking of upgrading my speaker system.
I am so confused as to what speaker I should get. I checked reviews on youtube, amazon, flipkart, snapdeal, and that made me even more confused.

My budget: Rs. 5500.
Channel: 2.1
Connection: auxiliary via Laptop(only).
Purpose: Hollywood movies and Video Games.

Contenders(by rank):
1. Sony SRS-D9 2.1
2. Philips MMS 4040F-94
3. F&D F550X 2.1

The trouble with Sony SRS-D9 is simply the subjectivity of different people. Some say the lows, mids are great. Some says the mid is not good. I know the answers here would be subjective to individuals' preference, but I am seeking out someone who has experience with any of the above mentioned speakers who can give me a clear and precise review. Or someone to suggest a good sound quality speakers. I mainly use it for movie watching.

Hello!

Personally, I would not recommend the Philips speakers. F&D are decent. If had to purchase only from among these three, I would go in for Sony SRS. They sound better after a few days. I know a lot of people say there is no need for a burn in period, but I believe otherwise.

If you are looking for thumping bass and can extend the budget by a slight bit, I would recommend the Z623 which is available in Amazon for about 8k or lower.

Also, all things considered, the laptop soundcard will take away a lot from the actual performance the speakers are capable of. Try listening to how the speakers sound when connected to a good phone and compare it with how they sound when they are connected to a laptop (while playing the same file - a high quality youtube clip will do).
This should give you a clearer picture of what you want to buy. Some speakers perform better in some scenarios than the others.

Hope this helps.

Hello!

Personally, I would not recommend the Philips speakers. F&D are decent. If had to purchase only from among these three, I would go in for Sony SRS. They sound better after a few days. I know a lot of people say there is no need for a burn in period, but I believe otherwise.

If you are looking for thumping bass and can extend the budget by a slight bit, I would recommend the Z623 which is available in Amazon for about 8k or lower.

Also, all things considered, the laptop soundcard will take away a lot from the actual performance the speakers are capable of. Try listening to how the speakers sound when connected to a good phone and compare it with how they sound when they are connected to a laptop (while playing the same file - a high quality youtube clip will do).
This should give you a clearer picture of what you want to buy. Some speakers perform better in some scenarios than the others.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! If I increase my budget, which will be better: Z623 or SRS-D9? I will only connect it to my laptop and nothing else. And only for gaming and hollywood movies. I need a speaker which does justice to the low,mid,high frequencies and produce a good theater like bass. If you have any other laptop, except 5.1 cz of space constraint, then I will be very thankful. Also, I want a view not based on the specifications only. :)

Not a techie but i was searching for a good speaker within 10k for movies & music from laptop, mobile & tv. Saw a multiple of threads forums etc. Some say too bassy etc. But i like my sounds to be bassy even when the vol is set at minimal levels. Havent heard swans M10 & many recommend that over z623 for music and stats its neutral sounding and i am sure its a good speaker too but have never heard. But during recent sale got the z623 for 7.2k after sbi cb & boy i am really satisfied with my decision. Have set the base level say at lvl4/10 & i am in love with it. Great base & awesome feel to the sound. Currently connected it with my led tv.. Its a great speaker according to me. Even dropped the idea of get an AVR (i.e. Yamaha yht 1810) as it fulfills my requirements. So yea you can definitely go ahead with these set of speakers.

@Warchief - @avanildutta has already showed you the way. ;)
Z623 has got generally very favourable reviews, & this model is not a new entrant too. Regards the SRS-D9, i have read some not very favourable feedback on another forum, like distortion at higher volumes, bass eating up other frequencies in music, etc IIRC. Z623 should be able to please you IMO.

@Warchief - @avanildutta has already showed you the way. ;)
Z623 has got generally very favourable reviews, & this model is not a new entrant too. Regards the SRS-D9, i have read some not very favourable feedback on another forum, like distortion at higher volumes, bass eating up other frequencies in music, etc IIRC. Z623 should be able to please you IMO.

@avanildutta

I saw some people complaining about distortion in Z623 too. Otherwise they are great!

Back