Audio Speaker suggestion for Yamaha RX-V373

adi_vastava

Code Game Code F**K
Adept
Hi Guys,

I bought the mentioned receiver recently. I was initially planning to buy the NS-P40 5.1 speakers with it; but than stopped after reading in a review that it is all plastic. Also I do not really need the rear speakers in near future as my living room is does not have wall at one side; so thought to utilize that money for good quality front/center speakers.

So what do you guys suggest;

I can buy something like Yamaha NS-P60 (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/surround-speakers/yamaha/ns-p60/prd_127005_2742crx.aspx), and add a subwoofer(can you recommend one).
Or some other option?
NS-P40 is around 16K and I am fine going till 20K; any suggestions?

Let me know in case some other information is required.

Thanks

I also need to know if I can use the surround speakers given in NS-P60 as front speaker or not? Also does anyone has seen the NS-P40 do they look good in quality[DOUBLEPOST=1378139882][/DOUBLEPOST]I was surfing and end up at http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/27775-help-setup-ht-starting-budget-30-000-a.html,

here Anubhav suggesting same speaker(p70 instead of p60) with Mission ms-8 Subwoofer. Any comments; any place where I can source them in bangalore.(the subwoofer)

Last edited:
I went and audition the NS-P60 again; this time on music and they sounded good to me. I have bought them; will be delivered tomorrow, lets see how it goes.

Guys I still need your help in figuring out sub woofer for this setup; any suggestions; there is one YST SW215 for 13K approx; is that good; any thing else around 8-10K?

wharf moviestar ms-100 or something similar is what you should have got as a package. For decent performance, you need to go atleast to around 30k(without amp) or then simply get a htib like an onkyo 3400.
I honestly dont like yamaha speakers at all.
Well since you already bought the speakers, there aint much to suggest anyways/// For sub at ur budget get the Sonodyne roar.210. Not sure of the current pricing but last i checked, it was around 16. Else i honestly think ur gonna be hard pressed to find anything at ur price point that sounds decent.

I still urge you to cancel ur ns-p60 order and for 35k odd get a,
Wharf ms-100
Wharf moviestar 70+
Boston Acoustics SoundWare S 5.1
polk audio rm6750
Energy take classic 5.1
All the above are 5.1 systems and energy take classic is what i would pick..

But then again, u need a 35k budget for the above... Anything below this and ur in bad sound territory.

Try space, its an indian brand. they make decent 20k systems.

Thanks for responding, I couldn't resist the itch of getting speaker as the receiver was in front of me (lying unused), anyways its just center + rear.

I really appreciate the detailed answer; I may ditch the current purchase later on and buy one of the suggested. Can you suggest me where to source them online or if you are from bangalore, locally.

Also, do you have any opinion on Astonia Point1 df-10. coming for 15K (Sonodyne roar.210 is for 20K approx)

In a 5.1 setup, for movies the center is the main purchase and generally the weaklink in any purchase. Generally i believe that one should buy a 4.1 and buy a center thats a step above.
The other imp thing, ur 373 is an entry level avr which wont be able to drive a lot of speakers. Hence a lot of options are ruled out automatically.
I have never heard the astonia but till date i have never heard a sub that sounds good below 30k. The roar is considered an exception to this but then a lot of folks are not too impressed with the roar too. Maybe you need to look at the used market. If u r on a strict budget, check out jbl prices. They make good entry level subs too which are stellar performers.
Why the 373, whats ur room size?

Actually I am not on budget; but wanted to take the little first step before I invest some serious moolah in it(plus I live in a rented house currently; so can not really go big as the setup will be temporary). Next I went to a store; listen to some basic receiver + ht setup from onkyo and yamaha (packaged one); both sounded life less to me. So I asked him to raise the bar a bit and next he showed me this AVR; I tried it for music/movies and liked it a lot comparatively (except the bass was missing as there was no sub in demo). I noticed that the sub out is pre-amped so thought a good active sub will do the justice. (Didn't think that it will cost 30k though). So end up buying it.

BTW I auditioned the yamaha 215 sub; and I do not know the reason but it sounded bad to me. it was simply vibrating as soon as I increase the volume a little. It could be the source, placement, bad piece or anything; but I did not like it. So that is out.

I think I have to hunt a bit more to find something suitable in my budget; will go a couple of places and listen to it. For now I have hooked my tiny sony sub to the setup(better than nothing :))[DOUBLEPOST=1378307353][/DOUBLEPOST]<OT> When I was in school (1200 rs DAC days), I used to go to market; get a speaker (just the driver), than used to get the enclosure, than bug the mechanic 10 house ahead. And my pocket money was tooooooooooo small. I am (TBH) surprised that I can not get a Sub in 10K range.

But than I was in school long back. :p

Why i mentioned receiver is cause yours aint future proof just incase you want to upgrade speakers later. It just wont be able to drive better speakers and honestly people change avr's like once in 5-8 yrs.
Try out pioneer speakers and sub. The Bs22 and FS52 are real value for money speakers. But i am referring to the sub that comes with them. Again not sure of costing but should be less than 20k

In this case; do you think I'll be better off with book shelf speakers, something like Wharfdale Diamond 10.1? I am thinking that than I can perhaps use the yamaha speakers as center/surround(when needed). Will it perform okay (considering absence of a cheap SUB)

Back