Audio Speakers for classical music

I have been listening to a lot of classical music lately, Mozart, Beethovan and all that and I really enjoy it. I also love Enya, which means good vocals reproduction is a must.

I am looking for decent speakers to do them justice. I am currently using the EP-830.

I had both the Z-5300 and the Z-5500 at one point and hated both for the boomy bass and the useless mids which is why I sold them off after a few months each. They are great for Movies and TV series but rubbish for music.

Budget: 10 -12k
Usage: Music: 40%, TV Series and movies(non HD): 50%, Movies(HD): 10%
Input Source: Dell Studio XPS 16
Input Format: Mostly MP3@256kbps+ and FLAC

One thing I am not willing to compromise on is build quality. I do not want to send the set over for warranty. So please suggest something with a decent track record in this department.

Please help.:hap2:

the audioengine AE2's seem to be highly recommended for this sort of job. Good for vocals and are very portable.

If your budget and size requirements are any higher and you can try looking at bookshelves + stereo amp

greenhorn said:
the audioengine AE2's seem to be highly recommended for this sort of job. Good for vocals and are very portable.

If your budget and size requirements are any higher and you can try looking at bookshelves + stereo amp

The AE2 dislikers i mentioned to you about :rofl:

http://www.techenclave.com/1008288-post6.html

http://www.techenclave.com/1008508-post11.html

http://www.techenclave.com/1008517-post12.html

http://www.techenclave.com/805537-post14.html

http://www.techenclave.com/868757-post23.html

^Lol and who is Chaos? :rofl:

AFAIK some peeps on TE have got some good amps and floorstanders from him. :p

AE2s had s good start but seems like most of them went kaput over a period of usage. TechHead hpnd to RMA 2 sets consecutively IINM. JFYI.

I was going to suggest the AE 2 but then I read Chaos and Sangram sir's feedback :p

Since the setup is going to be used with a laptop ,How would MX-5021 + External Sound card be ?

and incase there's still some moolah left ..the OP can get the 5021 modded using some help from B'lore membersand the awesome guides posted by Gannu ,Cranky.

@VNerd: Whats your listeniong area like?

If its a smallish hideout then the AE2 are sure a decent set of speakers. I own them since almost 10 months. The failure rate is sure high and i think i've been lucky to have just one almost DoA (Died in 6 hrs).

The lows are not as bad as the audiophiles describe. The speakers really shine when it somes to the kinda music you want to listen to.

I mostly listen to new age (Enya included) and indian classical content. The listening area is really small (a 5x8 hideout by the grace of my PHamily :p).

The speakers really sound beautiful with the tracks like "Orinoco Flow", "A day without rain" and similar vocal biased ones.

I'd reckon an audition might be the best way to judge a speaker than mere forum blabber. Yes the experts' opinions sure help to zero in on 3-4 options, but in the end let your ears decide the setup for you.

The 5021 are also a wise decision. I have never heard them modded, but would love to. But from whatever I've heard them at stock and by the overall build of the speakers I think they should be given a fair audition as well.

A Norge or similar entry level indic HiFi setup might as well serve you well. Last i heard someone in pune picked the Norge 1515 + new milennium combo for around 12K + shipping.

sarang said:

If its a smallish hideout then the AE2 are sure a decent set of speakers. I own them since almost 10 months. The failure rate is sure high and i think i've been lucky to have just one almost DoA (Died in 6 hrs).

The lows are not as bad as the audiophiles describe. The speakers really shine when it somes to the kinda music you want to listen to.

I mostly listen to new age (Enya included) and indian classical content. The listening area is really small (a 5x8 hideout by the grace of my PHamily :p).

The speakers really sound beautiful with the tracks like "Orinoco Flow", "A day without rain" and similar vocal biased ones.

I'd reckon an audition might be the best way to judge a speaker than mere forum blabber. Yes the experts' opinions sure help to zero in on 3-4 options, but in the end let your ears decide the setup for you.

The 5021 are also a wise decision. I have never heard them modded, but would love to. But from whatever I've heard them at stock and by the overall build of the speakers I think they should be given a fair audition as well.

A Norge or similar entry level indic HiFi setup might as well serve you well. Last i heard someone in pune picked the Norge 1515 + new milennium combo for around 12K + shipping.

+1. You cannot ignore AE2's with the kind of soundstage they produce for the given form factor. My set is over an year old now and it still sounds beautiful, never had to RMA or anything.

sarang said:

The room is about 10' x 12'. I am scared of the Ae2's failure rate. Also does it make any sense to go with the AE5s for the extra moolah. Do they have similar issues.

What other options do I have? From Klipsch or ProFX or some other companies that are available in India.

the AE5's are more monitorish speakers - buy them if you want to listen to the mids alone.

the problem with most 2.1's is that they cross over from the sub to the sattelites somewhere in the vocal region. very annoying if you listen to a lot of male vocals - they'll be dull and coming from the sub mostly if they are deep , and females tend to sound insubstantial

Assuming the input is directly from the laptop, why not try sourcing the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0? Pretty old but these're good for the requirements you've listed. Not very heavy either.

Like Sarang's rightly said, auditioning is the way to go. Get your laptop to the place and have it listened from the setup.

Back