Audio speakers to pair with....

freakster_x

Disciple
hello guys !
im making a small beginner HT with samsung plasma and onkyo 705 receiver ! now i want a 5.1 setup and i do not know which speakers to pair with it :( my budget is max 50-60k that is it.

pls help me on this issue and also suggest a shop in New Delhi to buy A/V Receiver and Speakers.

Thanksssssssss alot

Are you looking for a complete 5.1 setup? In that case, only the Mordaunt Short Avant or Wharfedale Diamond 9 series will fit in that budget. You might want to look at PSB too but that might exceed your budget by a bit. Avoid all the cheapie bargain basement brands.

Definitive 800s. Quite good, plus they're fairly small as well. Q Acoustics 1010i, they're about 45k. Still have to audition them.

PSB will fit that budget, with room to spare but at that price there may be a few sets that are on par with the PSBs in quality, the MS come to mind. Wharfedales will be cheaper, you can look at something in the 35K range including a basic sub. The Diamond 9.1s are about 8.5k/pr.

The PSB setup I normally recommend for this range are B1 mains (15k/pr), LR1 surrounds (9k/pr), CLR1 center (11K) plus a sub for about 15K. That is at the upper end of your budget range. If you're keen on a PSB sub, use LR1 mains and add a PSB sub, that will end up at the same 50K mark.

You can also look at the Tannoy Mercury range, will be very close in price and performance to the PSBs, though the sound is slightly different.

Sangram, have you heard the Deftech sets? They come highly recommended. Lakozy are quoting 70k for the set, while a guy at Kalbadevi, near the Metro Agiary is quoting 46k. Didn't go in for a listen, waiting for some major reconstruction work at home to finish.

Unless you are getting a good deal by buying a 5+1 speaker package on any of your chosen line, why not save up on the surrounds by getting some el-cheapo surrounds?

Plonk upto 35K on the fronts + center (maybe Monitor Audio BR, or the Wharfedale Diamonds if you want to keep it lower, or the KEF iQs if you can take it a bit higher)

15-20K on a decent sub - You'll get a entry level Klipsch/Polk/Wharfies at this price. The sub anyway does not tonally need to match the rest of the arrangment

get some cheapo speakers for 2-3K as surrounds - Some folks may disagree but the surrounds are just, well, surrounds... They'll give you some nice whizzy/fly-by effects but they do not need to sustain hi fidelity sound for extended durations, neither will they ever be driven to their capacity in any real life 5.1 track (test tracks being a different story)

Or Maybe just visit some used audio dealer to get something half decent for the surrounds

@TH: No, the last time I heard the DefTechs was three years ago, but I was looking for musical speakers. The DTs fell quite a bit short on that, they sounded very impressive for HT, but for music they had a lot missing in the midrange.

Again, my taste in music is quite different from most peeps and I actually play an instrument, that had a lot of bearing on my selection. The PSBs sounded very, very good and could manage music with aplomb. Not sure about their dynamic capabilities with large scale HT (I didn't test them for that).

If the TS can manage a listen, I guess he might like them as his use was for HT and not music.

Back