PC Peripherals Speakers

Yeah heard them before i bought the MX 5021 almost 2 years back. The 5021 was clearer than a Bose system which cost 2.5 lakhs. I knew instantly that i had to buy the 5021s then. I'd never thought of spending 11k on computer speakers man.

I dont want the Sony/Philips systems coz if the main player / lens gets spoilt even my speakers go waste. I want separate speakers and a diff DVD player so that even if my DVD player gets spoilt I can just get that replaced under 5k instead of spending a bombs again on the home theater system.

No Creatives for me. I will go to the Telome showroom tmrw and take one final call. Even the Telomes cost over 30k for a 5.1 speaker set & amplifier.

^^Listen to sonodynes... they are awesome for the price. Especially the sonus 2605 is a steal. Telome is only so-so compared to sonodyne. The best indian branded audio is Cadence. It can easily compare to the best in the world.

Chaos said:
^^Listen to sonodynes... they are awesome for the price. Especially the sonus 2605 is a steal. Telome is only so-so compared to sonodyne. The best indian branded audio is Cadence. It can easily compare to the best in the world.
whats the cost of the sonus 2605 (approx) .... lemme know that. Also will i just be able to connect a 2.1 channel dvd player to it or will i also need an amplifier, etc???

Isn't there any 5.1 Altec Lansing system???

Saturday - Sunday Holidays. Am gonna research the market for good speakers.

I want a 5.1 system with good treble... not too fond of heavy bass. Thats why i love the MX 5021.

amitmk said:
whats the cost of the sonus 2605 (approx) .... lemme know that. Also will i just be able to connect a 2.1 channel dvd player to it or will i also need an amplifier, etc???

Isn't there any 5.1 Altec Lansing system???

The sonus is a shade under 20k. You don't need a sub for it.... you'd need some sort of amp for it cos all speakers are passive.

i went for a demo of the SOny HT-DDW1500

Sony India - Home Theatre - Home Theatre In Box - HT-DDW1500

I found it pretty good for just under 40k. 2 tower speakers, 2 active sub-woofers, one center speaker and 3 rear speakers.

1170 W RMS.. It was surprising clear for a sony system.

For the moment i just bought an LG divx player and have connected the mx 5021 speakers to it. It was quite awesome watching a dvd with the mx5021. My new speakers have to either be better in treble and clarity or it'll be one more mx 5021 for my house.

^^LOL just look at the specs.... the power is measured at 10% THD... which basically means if its run at those specs, the tweeters will be blown in a fraction of a second. Most high end amp makers state their power at 0.02% THD.... 0.02% vs 10% I hope u get the picture ;).

Chaos said:
^^LOL just look at the specs.... the power is measured at 10% THD... which basically means if its run at those specs, the tweeters will be blown in a fraction of a second. Most high end amp makers state their power at 0.02% THD.... 0.02% vs 10% I hope u get the picture ;).

nah.. can u explain a lil in depth??

is the speaker set good?? the sony one?? Coz it sounded real awesome.

Well what is awesome is completely dependent on ur reference... Definitely try and listen to a few non consumer brands before making ur final decision. THD = Total Harmonic Distortion. Distortion obviously increases with increase in input power. After a certain point, due to distortion, speakers start to clip (horrible sounds). Once the clipping point is reached, the amp can no longer supply proper output and the output waveform is highly distorted. This can potentially damage speakers if the speakers are run for more than a few seconds when the amp is clipping. The first thing that'll blow is the tweeter. 10% distortion at which that HT is measured is probably enough to cause clipping... thats what I meant. You can't get that much power out at listenable levels from a sony system.

my budget has been increased to 37-38k. But in this i must get the speakers suitable for a 500-600 sq foot hall and the amplifier. I don't like too much bass while listening to anything.

I am going to see the JBL ESCxcite which is a 5.1 speaker system. For abt 18500. Any reviews on that???

Did i mention that for the moment i have installed the mx 5021 in my hall and enjoyed watching a movie on it yest. Crystal clear. Aah!

^^Wharefdale moviestar or Sonodyne Cinque... Believe me you won't be disappointed. How much of music vs movies(in %) are you gonna listen/watch on the speakers?

90% movies - 10% music.

For music there is the mx 5021 in my room. This system which i plan to get now is for the hall which i will connect to the dvd player. And i rarely will listen to music in the hall coz all music stored on the pc.

Which model in Wharfdale??

i recently auditioned and bought a set of KEF HT3005 5.1 speaker system.
price is around 90k inc. installation etc. paired it up with a Pioneer A/V receiver.
the slightly lower end series HT2005.2 is going for about 70k.

simply mind-blowing performance for a relatively portable HT system :)
my suggestion is that if you really want to invest in quality audio/home theatre, might wanna save up a little more and put it into a quality setup that can last you for years.
if you're interested, the KEF dealer is located in Crossroads mall in south mumbai. i can try to get a discount for u :)

btw, i've heard the altec 5021 before. they are pretty damn solid!
can even give my B&W bookshelves a run for their money.
but depends on individual listening preferences and type of music.

now since u hv a DVD player.....u will hv to buy a 5.1 speaker set AND a separate AV Receiver(or multichannel amplifier) unless u buy ACTIVE speakers(read the post i hv made in this thread before).....both these components will cost u atleast 60k together for good ones.
OR u can perhaps get a 'home theatre speaker set+amplifier/receiver' package(without the DVD player) from Denon,Yamaha or Onkyo...which again will cost 40k minimum.
what i would still suggest is to go in for the Sony(or any other company like Denon,Yamaha or Onkyo) "home theatre in a box" solution which includes a DVD player,coz the DVD player will give much better results than ur LG and the whole system will work better together...OR wait a while and stretch ur budget and get separate hi-fi quality AV receiver,5.1 speakers and better DVD player.

amitmk said:
90% movies - 10% music.

For music there is the mx 5021 in my room. This system which i plan to get now is for the hall which i will connect to the dvd player. And i rarely will listen to music in the hall coz all music stored on the pc.

Which model in Wharfdale??

Well the wharfies will be good. Amazon.com: Wharfedale MovieStar 70 Surround Sound Speaker System (Beech): Electronics

Jamo also has an HT setup for cheap... around 25K or so. Check it out at the local cinebels store. I think there's one in bandra and another one in crossroads. They'll come in ur budget easily.

KEF/Polk/Denon is slightly overpriced in India thanks to the useless ProFX guys though definitely very good.

just a note, the cinebels store in crossroads has closed recently. so bandra's the only place currently to audition the Jamo speakers.

ananth said:
now since u hv a DVD player.....u will hv to buy a 5.1 speaker set AND a separate AV Receiver(or multichannel amplifier) unless u buy ACTIVE speakers(read the post i hv made in this thread before).....both these components will cost u atleast 60k together for good ones.
OR u can perhaps get a 'home theatre speaker set+amplifier/receiver' package(without the DVD player) from Denon,Yamaha or Onkyo...which again will cost 40k minimum.
what i would still suggest is to go in for the Sony(or any other company like Denon,Yamaha or Onkyo) "home theatre in a box" solution which includes a DVD player,coz the DVD player will give much better results than ur LG and the whole system will work better together...OR wait a while and stretch ur budget and get separate hi-fi quality AV receiver,5.1 speakers and better DVD player.

ananth, do you happen to know where i can get Onkyo stuff in Mumbai?

burnz said:
ananth, do you happen to know where i can get Onkyo stuff in Mumbai?
There is an Onkyo store in Khar-S'cruz for sure.

Where in Bandra is the cinebels store??? I can go there today. Holiday for Raksha bandhan. Aah!

I don't want the home theatre in a box system. Period!

Back