Specs Lens Quality between Vision Express vs Zeiss and Crizal

Futureized

Skilled
Going for new specs after long time number has increased and shall have progressive lens this time.
Went to Vision Express, Lenskart and local dealer (buying from him since decade)
Average Frame Cost looking forward for = 2500 max.

Vision Express provided following options: (UV Blue Shield = 1499 costs etc. with all deals for digital use computers/mobiles etc.)
1. Bronze = Scratch Resistant + Anti-Reflection, Water repellent, UV Protection, UV Blue Shield *1499*
Total - 5799 + 1499 = 7298
2. Silver = Bronze + Breakage resistant with1 year warranty, UV Blue Shield *1499*
Total = 9299 + 1499 = 10798
3. Gold = Silver + Free form design (power on back surface for better vision), UV Blue Shield *1499*
Total = 14399 + 1499 = 15900
Offers:
1. Frame 50% off + Lens 20% off
2. 2nd pair of EQUAL value FREE + 399
(EQUAL value - If frame for 1000, lens for 5000, then we get same value in 2nd pair)

LensKart provides lens with Bronze category there own brands for 5000 + 1000 additional for UV+ blue shield
Drawback being there inhouse frames under 1800 are very low quality, higher frames start at 5000+
2nd pair free for additional 800 Rs.

Local Dealer is providing Crizal and Zeiss options with all above feature, lens cost goes upto 7K + frame additional around 2500
Not providing any offers.

As per internet search, Vision express lens are inhouse low quality compared to zeiss and crizal.
People are opting for Crizal first then Zeiss.

What are your opinions here ?

As per internet search, Vision express lens are inhouse low quality compared to zeiss and crizal
How does one define the quality of just the lens ? And mind you, just the lens, not the UV, Anti Reflective and other blah blah coating. My view is that its only the scratch resistance assuming that all lens are able to fulfil the basic functionality i.e. you seeing fine. I have used both the cheaper in-house and the costly brands - Crizal and Zeiss. And found that all are the same when it comes to scratch resistance. You maintain the lens well and use the prescribed soft cloth to clean and even the cheap ones will last equally long. You don't then even the Crizal and Zeiss develop scratches in a whim. When it comes to Water Repellent, I am yet to come across any, which truly repel water or moisture.

Are you referring to actual lens which one wears on eye directly or spectacle lens. As any of these shops will use the common word lens for both these different usages.
I will say use any of these and use anything costly, their coating starts to fade after 1yr and eod what remains is a scratched fiber so no point investing 5k+. In fact better to change frame cum lens every 2 yrs as you get new trends and lens.
Also, unless you job specializes into micro stuff no point debating and going for something on industry lines...waste of money imo!

Blue shield / computer glasses is a scam. But anti-reflective coating does add value IMO.
  1. It is less visible and distracting in photos or on video calls
  2. you can't see spots of light reflected from behind you or reflected from your own eye / lower eye lid into the glass, which causes a slight glare.
In a slightly tangential topic, I get a lot of value out of visiting a physical optometrist if I discuss my usage patterns and personal preferences freely. It's like when I tailor shirts and ask for one more button with lesser space between the buttons because that works for me.

For example on my last appointment we spent a lot of time customizing a bifocal pair for my electronic soldering activity, the consultation went a bit beyond the usual prescription. I carried small electronic components and tiny printed text to try how it appeared. We tried different positions of the frame (I keep it further down the bridge of my nose regularly), measured where the center of my pupil falls on the spectacle lens at various frame positions, and came to an optimal height for the bifocal element to start at when it's kept close to the eyes versus further down the bridge.

Spectacles are such personal objects, that I recommend one freely and frankly collaborate with the optometrist in person, to get the most out of their appointment.

Crizal is definitely just coatings, not lenses, and I think Zeiss is the same. Both will get you equal or better performance than Vision Express.
Crizal's coatings are usually good in my experience, I have not tried Zeiss. The water repellant coat especially helps a lot in the rain - water beads up and forms drops on the surface instead of misting the entire lens, so the specs are still usable.

This and anti glare/anti reflective is what matters, principally. Scratch resistance is not that big a deal, but for what it's worth I didn't get any scratches on any of the several pairs I owned with Crizal coatings, and I was not extremely careful or anything. Like salian said, anti glare can make a big difference to how others see your face - personally I find glasses without this coating on someone else pretty distracting, because where their eyes are supposed to be it's just big blobs of reflected light.

Also, blue light filters are a scam.

if you are shifting from Traditional Glass (fragile in nature) Lens (regular/bifocal/trifocal) to Progressive (Plastic) Lens, than, as per my own experience, it is very very tough to use Progressive as Progressive have very very less SPACE for Near View (for Reading), for distance view it's OK

I found traditional glass have MORE CLEAR (clean) view than latest tech Plastic Lens

If at all you wish to go with Progressive then go with basic and check if it suits you... and if you can use it without any issue, then decide for costlier/multi coating Progressive Glasses.

I waste nearly 5000/- (made 2 pair in a year but BOTH are failed to suit me/my eyes) & than made traditional Glass made Bifocal and get GREAT Relief.

In Progressive, for reading you requires to move you head from line to line reading but in tradtional bifocal most of time just need to move eyes & you can read books/documents etc.

Now after 3 years, again change Glass, this time with Plastic Lens (but with traditional bifocal technology, where you can see 2 parts of glass in a single glass), as it's very less in weight compare to traditional Glass .. still Big No for PROGRESSIVE.

Last edited:
Are you referring to actual lens which one wears on eye directly or spectacle lens. As any of these shops will use the common word lens for both these different usages.
I will say use any of these and use anything costly, their coating starts to fade after 1yr and eod what remains is a scratched fiber so no point investing 5k+. In fact better to change frame cum lens every 2 yrs as you get new trends and lens.
Also, unless you job specializes into micro stuff no point debating and going for something on industry lines...waste of money imo!
spectacle lens

Blue shield / computer glasses is a scam.

After a few years of using glasses with this, I could not switch back to regular lenses. Maybe it's because of astigmatism or the number of screens I have but I absolutely need this in my glasses otherwise it feels like my monitors are zapping my eyeballs and it's physically painful.

After a few years of using glasses with this, I could not switch back to regular lenses. Maybe it's because of astigmatism or the number of screens I have but I absolutely need this in my glasses otherwise it feels like my monitors are zapping my eyeballs and it's physically painful.
I am guessing that it is more to do with the anti reflective coating assuming you have one rather than a blue light filter ?
The water repellant coat especially helps a lot in the rain - water beads up and forms drops on the surface instead of misting the entire lens, so the specs are still usable.
I am on Crizal currently and with a mask it is pretty much unusable. The moisture collects pretty easily and clouds the entire lens. I wish they could do something about that.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think the hydrophobic material is good enough to stop misting. I switched to contacts fifteen years ago and I love not using specs.

I am on Crizal currently and with a mask it is pretty much unusable. The moisture collects pretty easily and clouds the entire lens. I wish they could do something about that.
Vision express guy discussed about this and suggested one of the options from this range, which helps prevent moisture while using masks

Attachments

• vision express range.jpg
    vision express range.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 213
Nope, Mask not needed for my daily usage and those lens were not available for tests. There Platinum or Diamond range supports the moisture prevention feature via Mask
Well I will visit them once here in Blr. If Crizal cannot do it I really wonder if it is just a marketing ploy. I will believe it if I can test it.

I am guessing that it is more to do with the anti reflective coating assuming you have one rather than a blue light filter ?

change to frame that have NOSE PAD/ Nose Rest

This Type frame with inbuilt (soldered/attached with frame) nose pad to keep frame elevated from cheek/nose etc.
Ah, I have that type of frame as well and it does not make any difference. If you use one of the washable normal cloth or 4 ply mask it tends to direct most of the moisture upwards into the specs when you breath. Only way to avoid this is to use the 3M or Magnum masks which allows better passage of the moisture.

Back