Split a/c for a room of 240sq ft

prasanth11

Disciple
Hi i need a air conditoner for a room of 240sq ft and room height of 12 ft..its a hall,but i dont want to have a false ceiling for this one
21.5 ft wall is northwest facing and another wall is northeast facing,its a indepenedent house with no room overhead,so it faces sun directly
it has a lcd tv 32" and dvd player and 2speaker sony mini hifi system
so i need a efficient cooling system for this room
when i contacted nearest dealer,they suggested to have 2x1.5ton a/c

But i dont want to arrange 2 a/c for that,i just want to try a one 1.5ton a.c and daily run would be 4-6hrs or even less,during summer and rainy season. i guess it definitely overburdens a/c.,but i need room to be at comfortable temperature not overchilled,
budget is under 37k

I sorted out hitachi follow me and hitachi ace cutout initially (both are 5 star rated) but when i went to shop,they said its out of stock,they told why waste so much money take onida trendy plus 1.5ton which is 3star rated or hitachi 3 star rated kaze model
i inclined more on hitachi,but they telling ,you are not gonna save much on power bills,just go for 3 star rated a/cs.. 5 star rated a.cs not that worthy
i want to know which is better choice or any other suggestions?
please give me some expert suggestions on this,i need to finalize the issue in a day or two..pls help me in deciding

Can't suggest any models in particular, but a 5 star rating doesn't save you much in comparison to the initial cost considering the kind of usage you mentioned. In fact, it might take you really long to offset the high cost. Something like buying a diesel car for better mileage doesn't make sense if the monthly usage is very less.

Just don't look at STAR but also consider machine power as most of Economy (but branded too) AC not suitable to work above 48 degree heat.

i'm looking for 5 star rated a/c based on factors that,it has higher air flow,eer,BTU is also little bit more,

but many are suggesting not to go for 5 star rating as its only for shops,not for house

But what i observed is that 5 star rated a/c are with more feature (they cost 5-6k more so,obvosiuly they have some extra feature like more filters,both horizontal and vertical louver movements,quick cooling bla...bla..)

i inclined towards 5 star 1.5ton coz,the a/c what ever time it works,it works overloaded coz it tries lower temp of a 220sft room,which i guess is overburden,so compressor works more time than usually.so thats y it may be a good to have 5 star a.c which will have a better air flow so it speads cooling air better
5 star a/c has lower noise levels based on specs compared to 3star counter parts from various companies in same model

please suggest me what would be good option

does really air flow and EER matter?

1.5 ton Hitachi split will suit your needs.

Take the 5 star rated one. It'll serve you well.

No need for 2 ACs in that space.

I have a 1.2 ton hitachi in a room thats abt 170 sq ft. The delers told me 1 1.2 wouldn't cool / would take very long to cool. But thats all crap. It cools in abt 5 mins and its awesome. Super quiet, sleek and i was happy with Hitachi customer service too. (They'll come and do multiple checks to see if the AC has been installed correctly.. if it isn't they ask their own guys to come and redo it)

ajab.ghajab said:
Can't suggest any models in particular, but a 5 star rating doesn't save you much in comparison to the initial cost considering the kind of usage you mentioned. In fact, it might take you really long to offset the high cost. Something like buying a diesel car for better mileage doesn't make sense if the monthly usage is very less.

You couldn't be wronger, unless you use an AC for just 1-2 hours. The star rating makes a large difference and on a 1T unit, the difference between a 2 star and a 5 star would be around 600~750 bucks pm with around 9 hours of usage.

^Check out Carrier's 1.5T Estrella, it's a completely imported unit, like the Hitachi Atom. Has a very good EER rating as well. Price in Mumbai - 33~34K.

What good features to be looked in for choosing a effiecient a.c?

today i went a store he offered me hitachi follow me 1.5ton for 37000 with installation

is it a good price

We Recently Purchased Onida 1.5T A/c for 24k. Its model is 18SPD3. I have done a extensive research on this and I will tell you all you need to know.

First Sqft and Ac requirements

< 100 SQft - 0.8 T
< 100 and Upto 120 Sqft - 1ton
120 - 220 Sqft - 1.5T
220 - 350 Sqft - 2T

**Please note these are Rough Calculations only

If you use a under ton A/c for a larger room then it will try to cool the entire room for that particular temp. So A/c will be running for a longer time without cut off. It will reflect in your Eb bill. So Choose wisely.

Onida and Hitachi has the same compressor supplied by Hitachi Highly and Co. This can be confirmed by googling or compare the Specs of both onide and hitachi 1.5T a/c.

I would suggest buy Onida 2.0T S24SPD2 or if you instist 1.5T then I suggest S18SPD5 (around 29K). Else you can buy two 1T Ac S12SPD5 (22k). But I would ussgest you go for 2.0T onida.

Buying Hitachi wont make any sense because both are using same compressor (which is important here)

If you are trying more India buy Votlas 2.0T (32K) Vertis Gold or 2.0T Vertis Gold I (31K).

Voltas will have more or less reliability of Onida and hitachi.

If you are buying 2.0T ac you can never get 5 star rating Maximum you can get 3 star rating in Voltas.

If you are Want the best then look non other than O-General but it will cost you a arm and leg.

^Thanks for a valuable info

I too looked at onida models and also inclined towards getting onida

they quoted under 29k for a 1.5 ton a/c and 30k for another a.+installation extra (i may get better price if i seriouely bargain)

the difference between Onida 5 star and hitachi 5 star is 6k

as per specs,noise levels are little bit higher for onida 5star

but one dealer told me that onida may get either hitachi or Matsushita Compressor

But they told in my place,they have no in-hand supplies of any five star a/cs from onida-this is last week ,this was confirmed from onida distributor who supplies entire city

it may take 2nd week of april till they available

main reason i was inclined for a 1.5ton a.c is that,if really under performs i can add a 1 ton a.c (i probably add a dirt cheap split 1ton a/c .coz main burden of cooling the room should be handed over to 1.5ton a/c-so i want it to be extra efficient and yet eating less electricity - 1ton a.c would be a supportive one)

about O-geNERAL i got a quote with price of 44k for grey market o-general 2ton a.c including pipes (a/c 42k+pipes 2k)

he told its official market price would be 57k(he told it has reciprocating compressor,it made in japan,its not available in india-),

Dude Just one more suggestion

1.5 T 5 Star A/c - Cost 29k - Energy consumption 1.6 Unit/Hr
1.0 T cheap A/c 2 star - 12k - Enery Consumption 1.3 - 1.6 Unit/Hr

2.0 T 2-3 Star A/c - Cost 33k - 36K - Energy consumption 2.1 - 2.3 Unit/Hr

Suppose if 1.5T runs for 10 hrs and 1T runs for 5 hrs the total consumption will be 24 Units

2.0 T ac runs for 10 hrs total consumption will be 21 to 23 Units.

You will lose more money if you buy a 1.5T ac and another 1.0T ac. There will not be much any power saving.

I would only look at 2 ton ACs. I have a very similar room - under a sunny roof, ~250 sq ft, and plenty of glass and lots of heat-generating equipment. My current AC is a 1.5T window unit from Carrier and it was fine 10 years ago but the temperatures have risen three degrees since then, so it pants and puffs in the afternoons to even get the temperature down to a balmy 27 degrees. I am not sure a modern split unit would even work at all in this situation.

You have the following options in 2 ton units under 35K (that was the limit of my budget):

4 star

1. Voltas Gold ~31/32K

2. Godrej Eon ~33/34K

Most LG and Samsung units come in 2 and 3 star options. I finally got myself a LG L-Crescent unit, cost me 29K. It is a 3 star unit with a cooling/power spec of 6300/2250. The Eon was the most efficient, offering 6632/2146 and the Voltas was the lowest in both cooling and power - only 6200/2120 Watts. The actual power consumption difference of the LG was about a hundred watts more than the Indian units, so I would be spending an additional 200 rupees a month - hence it would take close to 2 years to wipe out the price difference.

Plus, I'm not really sure of Godrej - have too many horrific incidents with their after-sales service. The Voltas would have been nice, but the horizontal louvres are fixed and there is no way I would get air to all corners of the room. I am not a big fan of LG products, but it seemed to have the right compromises in place. Let's see how it goes.

Back