Sprint iPhone 4s pre 11/11/11 will stay unlocked after iOs 5.1.1 update ?

killerz

Disciple
Hello guys, m back again with a problem ;)
So earlier we discussed on iPhone 4s sprint unlock issue but all changed when i found out that my iPhone 4S was actually bought before 11/11/11, so it was factory unlocked by sprint and i was using my idea sim without any problems. Though sprint changed their policy later and thereafter all iPhone 4S sold after 11/11/11 were sprint locked.

As you know yesterday Absinthe 2 iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak was released so now i want to update my iPhone 4s from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 first , then jailbreak it and i am all set.

The Problem:
Since sprint sold locked phone after 11/11/11, they also said that the pre 11/11/11 iphone 4s will be unaffected and will stay unlocked. But on reading and searching i came to know that if a pre 11/11/11 sprint unlocked iPhone 4s is by any chance restored then the phone may get locked again. Read this thread on sprint community.

The reason it may get locked because the carrier lock and unlock is pushed via iTunes, as my phone is currently jailbroken i cannot update it OTA. To update it i need to connect it to iTunes backup phone and update it via iTunes which will trigger the check for activation. Though its not an issue for a user in US as he can call sprint and get it unlocked.
So my fear is that my iPhone 4s may get locked on update to iOS 5.1.1 . Can anyone clarify on this or does anyone own a pre 11/11/11 sprint iphone 4s and updated to 5.1.1 keeping it unlocked ? .
If you look at this thread on macforums , they have entirely different story to tell.
M Confused :unsure:

i had got a sprint unlocked 4s which was activated before 11/11/11, and when i got it it was on ios 5.0.1 jailbroken, but i tried to reset it and erase all content and data didnt work since the phone was jailbroken, then immediately restored and updated it to ios 5.1 which was the latest OS that time and it is still unlocked..... :p that should give you an idea and the courage to update... :) :D go ahead and take the leap of faith....

^^ Hilarious.. hahaha.. remember courage the cowardly dog ?. This leap of faith might reward me with a free ipod touch with a powerful camera ;P

dont worry, go ahead... even i was shit scared while updating the phone on getting it, but then the relief i had on ios 5.1 when i saw the signal bars was very soothing.....

Warning: Don't hold me responsible if it gets locked :p....

Do let us know once you update..

dont worry, go ahead... even i was shit scared while updating the phone on getting it, but then the relief i had on ios 5.1 when i saw the signal bars was very soothing.....

Warning: Don't hold me responsible if it gets locked :p....

Do let us know once you update..

Hey dude.... why do you need to give ppl your useless advice... if it worked for you doesnt mean it will workout for everyone. Now my iPhone is locked just because of you, cant believe i fall for this trap.
Edit: My iPhone is working just fine, its still unlocked, no signal issues. I aplologise to the members and Vriship for this bad joke, i feel very bad.
Simply restored and updated via iTunes, and after update restored from backup. Although i did not get signals after restoring from backup, toggled airplane mode and it was fixed.

WTF same thing happend to me even i was using a sprint iphone 4s 11/11
Made a restore fresh restore via itunes and jailbreaked it and now i dont have any Signals on my iphone
I tried to restore it back to via dfu and could not by pass it with setup as a new iphone
Error pls insert a proper valid sim
Iphone locked god why did i do
Can some one help

^ Same with me now I m having a iPod touch with 8 MP CAMERA. My iPhone was factory unlocked as it was b4 11/11. :(
So now with a locked 4S gone are the days when I used to do calls on my iPhone.

Something to do with Roaming Prl which is a air update on 5.1.1 which apple has stopped on all CDMA phones
Same issue with iphone 4 on 5.1.1 says no service

good god, iphones turnig into itouch.
sorry to read about this guys.

BTW, why dont anyone preserve the baseband for upgrading.
does BB means something with Spirint phone.
and can you ask the CC for unlocking again as these were unlocked by spirint itself.

gREen i guess this unlock is not based on baseband. it must on lock token which is pushed back to iPhone when you Restore it.
Lets say if you preserve the baseband and update it to 5.1.1 but iTunes will lock it again.
Also another trick in my mind is copy the lockdow folder from your var\root\Library before you do the update. and paste back that folder after update completed. cant confirm as i dont have the Sprint iPhone 4s.
You can also use cookie cydia app. to do that.

I had a friends Sprint iPhone 4s unlocked just a few weeks back. It is still working fine on 5.1.1 jailbroken. Was your phone a good ESN or a bad ESN phone.

Hey hey.. guys.. this is awkward but i was kinda playing joke on vriship. My iphone 4s is updated to 5.1.1 and working fine. No issues.
Sad to hear that it dint workout for the members above. :unsure: Is it like its showing carrier name and no signal bars?, if so there is a working trick for that.

killerz, that is a BAD joke to play.........Your post might have unnecessarily discouraged other people from updating. Good thing you paused the joke well in time

Hey hey.. guys.. this is awkward but i was kinda playing joke on vriship. My iphone 4s is updated to 5.1.1 and working fine. No issues.
Sad to hear that it dint workout for the members above. :unsure: Is it like its showing carrier name and no signal bars?, if so there is a working trick for that.

Cracked a joke, go away dude.
Btw, @destiny is too joking.

Last edited by a moderator:
You Hopeless Idiot... :( i really fell for your post and developed a heavy heart to read the further posts and thought numerous ppl would be cursing me now...

You Hopeless Idiot... :( i really fell for your post and developed a heavy heart to read the further posts and thought numerous ppl would be cursing me now...

Dont have to use foul words bro, Sorry :( :unsure:
Just want to thank you for for sharing your experience, otherwise i wudnt hav tried.

My iphone is bricked and i am not joking
:mad44:
Dude my phone shows carrier 12.0 after update and baseband is 2.0.12, whats urs?
Try it again like i did. Dont take out your sim. Restore to 5.1.1 again. If its a pre 11/11/11 locked phone it should not get locked. Or then it may be ur phone may have bad esn.

Dont have to use foul words bro, Sorry :( :unsure:
Just want to thank you for for sharing your experience, otherwise i wudnt hav tried.

i didnt mean it, sorry if i have offended you. I was reading the post carefully for any updates from you, so.... the words...

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

My iphone is bricked and i am not joking
:mad44:

Can you elaborate on "bricked"?? does the phone show invalid sim when you put a indian carrier's sim??

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

restore once more and activate the phone without any sim in it, it will get activated since its a cdma iphone which gets activated without a sim... then try your local sim after all setup. dont jailbreak or restore from your old backup yet.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Dude my phone shows carrier 12.0 after update and baseband is 2.0.12, whats urs?
Try it again like i did. Dont take out your sim. Restore to 5.1.1 again. If its a pre 11/11/11 locked phone it should not get locked. Or then it may be ur phone may have bad esn.

I dont think, sprint has pushed a re-lock on bad esn iphones... :( the one i had updated about which i have mentioned in the first post, was also a bad esn phone.

I am from the Bahamas and have had two sprint iPhone 4s's on that was on 5.1 and lock and the other was updated to 5.1.1 and was also locked. I updated both and actived with the sim that come with it, then I turn the off and put in my Bahamian sims powered them on and a few minutes later they pick up my network and are working fine for me here. When I tap carrier it switches to PRL 31001. Hope this helps someone here.

Back