Camera spycamera to keep watch on tenant activities

cranky said:
The TS basically says on the one hand that he would like to rent out the acco to students (meaning taking a risk) and on the other hand, would like to monitor their activity (which is trying to hedge the bet). He can't have it both ways.
If he informs them and they consent then where is the problem ?

He does not want them sneaking ppl in & out without his knowledge. He does not want to stay up all day & night to monitor this. Once its on camera there is no denial or arguments, the evidence is there.

I don't entirely agree with the way ppl have painted this as an all or nothing issue. There's defnitely middle ground here.The agreement signed is what counts in the end. The problems happen when there is a lack of experience with either party, in this that of the landlord counts the most as laws tend to favour the tennant more.
cranky said:
I think that would depend on the individual people involved. As a statement it is partisan and biased, because it is made without knowledge of the specific people involved.
Agreed its a generalisation, but its to do with numbers, one is better than many. The problem usually is its difficult to find one that can pay what is desired, thats where more come in. Working ppl are better than students as they dont go on vacations for months at a time and you've got a regular cash flow.

cranky said:
For example, I could argue that a drug abusing hard rock addicted advertising copywriter (and I know quite a few of them who are exactly like that, and are easy enough to spot) would be much worse than a bunch of top-scoring engineering students (and I know a lot of guys exactly like that as well, present-day students mind you). Therefore, I choose not to get judgmental until I actually talk to people rather than adhere to conventional wisdom...
You'd be a lot more judgemental if it was YOUR place that was let out ;)

I was thinking about what you said about finding it hard to get places when you were in the south. The preference, sometimes is (believe it or not) to go with other southerners as the cultures tend to be more similar. There is certainly a bias from talking to others. Does not mean you can't get duped by another fellow southerner, in fact chances may be higher as there is already this implicit preference of sorts.

Right now its a buyer's market so that should give ppl enough confidence to shop for better offerings.

You'd be a lot more judgemental if it was YOUR place that was let out

Aye, but I have two rules:

1. Watertight agreements with strict behaviour, utilisation and release clauses

2. No renting out to 'sitters'. I don't mind students, but I do mind not getting my property vacated by shameless louts who pass off as businessmen and then ask landlords for money to vacate. Would you believe there are old houses with 5000+ sq ft of space, on leases of Rs. 200/- a month in my city? the tenants have a lot of money and keep the cops fed, while the landlords have none (they don't get paid, remember?) and run from pillar to post till they tire and let the property off to some scumbag developer who promptly gets the residents off the property.

After all this, a few drunk guys making a ruckus seems like quite a relief, actually. I've seen a lot worse - actually, when we had a rock band of our own, we *were* worse.

comp@ddict said:
if u're caught , u'll go to jail
Now do want to know the model no. and price of the cameras??
ill just wanna install a camera on the starting stair step so that i can know who is coming n going :ashamed:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

blr_p said:
Tell them verbally that entrance to the flat is monitored, maybe even a clause to that effect in the lease.

If they say no, tell them to find another place otherwise they've been informed at the outset.

Don't do anything and wait & see how they behave, if it becomes necessary install it later, you've got their consent anyway.

Students are the worst kind of tennants to have, you'd be better off with working ppl. Otherwise be hyper-selective with who you let in and be aggressive with the lease.
yaar family me vacate karan is a problem sometimes. studntd vacate on their own . camera se yeh hai ki ladkiya nahi layenge ladke ghar me

cranky said:
Aye, but I have two rules:

1. Watertight agreements with strict behaviour, utilisation and release clauses

2. No renting out to 'sitters'. .
Of course, but how do you spot the 'sitters' beforehand ?

cranky said:
I don't mind students, but I do mind not getting my property vacated by shameless louts who pass off as businessmen and then ask landlords for money to vacate. Would you believe there are old houses with 5000+ sq ft of space, on leases of Rs. 200/- a month in my city? the tenants have a lot of money and keep the cops fed, while the landlords have none (they don't get paid, remember?) and run from pillar to post till they tire and let the property off to some scumbag developer who promptly gets the residents off the property.
This bit here is a little bit more involved than meets the eye. I know of the same in my city as well and the reason is old tennants that were there before the rent control laws were removed. Its worse in commercial areas as tennant's have their livelihood at stake.

cranky said:
After all this, a few drunk guys making a ruckus seems like quite a relief, actually. I've seen a lot worse - actually, when we had a rock band of our own, we *were* worse.
I think you're comparing two extremes here, in my city the avg duration a sitter will last is three years before they get evicted. You don't lose your rent, it goes to the court who then pays you after.

I cannot believe Kolkatta has any rent control or does it ?

You live in a commie state, maybe its best to keep students instead of others.

Back