PC Peripherals Squeak noise??

Apex

Skilled
For the past few days, I'm facing an unusual problem with my PC. I sometimes notice a squeak noise coming from my computer. First I thought its the speakers, but its not. Its definitely coming from somewhere inside the cabinet. When I turned on the PC with the case open, I couldn't hear the noise. I can't hear it always, only sometimes and it isn't loud as well. It lasts for 4-5 secs or less. :huh:

Again, here's an incident which I think is related. It rained here yesterday for the entire day and when I tried to turn on the PC this morning, it failed to boot. The fans won't rotate and the front panel lights (Power & HDD) won't go on, all I cud see was the green LED on the motherboard which was glowing steadily. There was no other activity. I tried the Power and Reset switches many times but all in vain.

I opened up the case this evening, took out a few cables and stuff and replaced them again just to see if it helps and it did. Surely it wasn't a case of lose cables/connection. The PC is running fine now but I'm sure it has some other problem. I'm not sure if its the Motherboard or the PSU or something else. Any clues??

Thanks in advance. :)

Apex sir, what is ur PSU and hw old is it??? :)

Is it the Powersafe 400w as seen from ur rig gallery??

I smell PSU as the main culprit here;

The squeaky noise - surely comes from components having moving parts; Check fans, HDDs, optical drives;

Any dust clogging in fans??

Make sure all the fans're properly dusted and tightly screwed [if possible using rubber washers; reduces vibrations and noise to a large extent;] :)

i guess its the psu...
i used to have the same problem 6months back...sometimes comp just wouldnot start....it turned out to be the psu

and btw, the SQUEAK noise is from the MOUSE!!! :jumpy:
lame i know :p

Nope the PSU is a Mercury 350W which is around 4 years old.

I've checked the fans and don't think there's any problem. I've cleaned them a week ago. :p Optical drives?? umm..don't think so coz they were not in use at that time. HDDs? possible.

@_pappu_:

don't think its the mouse coz i cud hear the noise even b4 booting into windows.

OMG!!! Mercury PSU??? 4 yrs old??? :O

Thats the culprit; It might damage ur exisitng components as well!!!

Do a favour; Incinerate it ASAP!!! :D

And get a Powersafe 400W [around 1k I suppose] or better still, a CM 460w [~1.9k; which funky'd reviewed recently]; :)

Well, I wanted to overhaul the entire system in a month or so. I don't want to spend even a penny on this now. I was hoping that the existing components will last till the time I assemble a new PC. :p Seems I'll have to make the purchase sooner than that. Will make a new thread inviting suggestions soon.

've checked the fans and don't think there's any problem. I've cleaned them a week ago.

That could very well be it :) It started coming recently, right? :)

Check all fans, including the PSU one too, cos its surely due to moving parts, and fans are what usually squeak, at least have never seen a HDD squeaking ;)

+ check proccy fan too.

Apex said:
Well, I wanted to overhaul the entire system in a month or so. I don't want to spend even a penny on this now. I was hoping that the existing components will last till the time I assemble a new PC. :p Seems I'll have to make the purchase sooner than that. Will make a new thread inviting suggestions soon.

u old pc is accident stuff :p

so when are u plans u get full game or normal rig

i guess u live at hyberbad why not ask local member help i guess rave

I'll check the fans again but I think the PSU or the mobo is at fault.

Could that be due to leakage in motherboard capacitors? The squeaky sound, I mean...is it possible?

Apex said:
I'll check the fans again but I think the PSU or the mobo is at fault.
Could that be due to leakage in motherboard capacitors? The squeaky sound, I mean...is it possible?

I've heard faint noises from a friend's old mobo [can be attributed to fauly n lowly caps'] but nowhere near the squeaky noises I bet!!!

cleaning the fans wont help. the noise is from the fans bearings which you cant reach. you can get the PSU serviced ( ~100 bucks ) or get a new PSU :)

@_pappu_:
don't think its the mouse coz i cud hear the noise even b4 booting into windows.

omg HE ACTUALLY considered my advice!!! AAAHAHAHAHAHAH :)
squeaks are mostly from the fan bearings...maybe you could try a few drops of oil in the hubs...
the fact that it doesnt always happen points in this direction

but i guess the squeaks are not the most pressing issue...its the comp not starting at all

greenhorn said:
cleaning the fans wont help. the noise is from the fans bearings which you cant reach. you can get the PSU serviced ( ~100 bucks ) or get a new PSU :)

+1 to the bearings...try a drop of oil, else try changing/switching them off 1 by 1...

I once bought some el-cheapo chinese 80mms, they lasted a week and then the squeaking was so bad i destroyed them in fury :rofl:

okay..now the PC starts on its own.. i don't even have to press the power button on the cabinet. but but...it doesn't boot. i've to reset the system a couple of times and hit the power button in succession to shut it down b4 restarting it normally. i bet its something more than those faulty fans at work here. :p

Apex said:
okay..now the PC starts on its own.. i don't even have to press the power button on the cabinet. but but...it doesn't boot. i've to reset the system a couple of times and hit the power button in succession to shut it down b4 restarting it normally. i bet its something more than those faulty fans at work here. :p

Have u ever changed the CMOS battery of ur mobo during its period of usage??

If not, it is time to; :)

Its a CR2032 FYI; Sells cheap for 15 bucks or so; :)

Try replacing the CMOS battery n see if the problem persists; if so, mobo's become faulty over the years of usage;

gannu said:
Have u ever changed the CMOS battery of ur mobo during its period of usage??

If not, it is time to; :)

Its a CR2032 FYI; Sells cheap for 15 bucks or so; :)

Try replacing the CMOS battery n see if the problem persists; if so, mobo's become faulty over the years of usage;

nope...never changed the CMOS battery. will try it out. thanx. :)

Apex said:

even i had this similar problem ..dont remember exactly how i solved it ..but i think it was related to a setting in BIOS something like last state after power on ..and check your power switch too

and yeah i think even your PSU is on it's deathbed ..may take other loved one components along too.. so take precautions :)

i guess all P4 and ancient PC owners face similar problems ..:rofl:

EDIT : and yeah as gannu said change you CMOS battery too .. 4yrs of no change is quiet a long time :)

Not offering any solution here but I also hear squeaks from my PC. I presumed it was the HDDs and never got around to checking it out :p

well..i had a friend whose rig was acting up while switching on...
sometimes after shutdown...it never used to start up again immediately...
pow/hdd leds glowed...and then everything turned off again...
we chked every possible thing...and guess what!
turned out to be a faulty power button!

u can try removing pow button connectors frm the mobo and try switchin on manually...

Back