Storage Solutions SSD and enclosure for data storage

SkullSmazer

Disciple
I want to get a SSD and enclosure to be used as an external storage. Mostly going to store mobile photos and videos.

I also have MX500 2.5" Sata should I replace that from my PC with a m.2 and use the mx500 with enclosure? The storage will stay at home only

I would suggest you to upgrade the PC with an m.2 as it will beneficial and use the mx500 with an enclosure as external . As for media storage 500 MB/s read/write speed is fast.
as per my knowledge most nvme enclosures available on amazon have max speed of 10 GB/s which will restrict an Nvme speeds .

I agree, upgrade to NVMe for your PC if you can - SSDs are priced the lowest I've ever seen them right now and NVMe doesn't have the premium over SATA that it used to.

You may also want to consider getting a USB C enclosure rather than a micro-B one - they cost more, but it's a much more durable connector and will likely last longer.

if your bord supports then get a gen4 nvme then replace the boot drive with a gen 4 and if you just want a secondary then you can go for crucial p3 , another sn570 in budget.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660-DS3H-DDR4-rev-10-11 This is my board, it says that i supports Gen 4 ssd. Can you suggest a good gen 4 ssd? Also I mainly use it for gaming so is it okay to get a gen 4 or is that an overkill?

For the enclosure ratings on the above zebronics are not good so maybe getting Orico USB-C is a good option?

Don't know how much I trust Zebronics, and the reviews don't seem great. I personally use Orico, have had several over the years and they're still working fine.

As for the SSD, what capacity are you looking for? The Crucial P3 is priced pretty good right now.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660-DS3H-DDR4-rev-10-11 This is my board, it says that i supports Gen 4 ssd. Can you suggest a good gen 4 ssd? Also I mainly use it for gaming so is it okay to get a gen 4 or is that an overkill?

For the enclosure ratings on the above zebronics are not good so maybe getting Orico USB-C is a good option?
in gaming you wont notice a big difference between gen 3 and gen 4 but if you are moving files to and from the ssd then there is a difference . and as @SirVer said if the use case is not relevant then the price difference doesn't worth it.

I am looking for a 1tb to replace the 1tb that I currently have
if old is mx500 then going for P3 as a secondary storage will make sense .

P3 is Qlc, not great for a boot drive. If you're not budget limited try going for samsung 970 evo plus or similar drives with dram and tlc.

in gaming you wont notice a big difference between gen 3 and gen 4 but if you are moving files to and from the ssd then there is a difference . and as @SirVer said if the use case is not relevant then the price difference doesn't worth it.
Thanks, I got the Gen 4 s70 as it was cheaper and the orico enclosure. I got the 2TB variant as that was cheaper compared to WD 570 2TB and now I won't be buying more storage for the PC as 3TB of storage will last me long enough even if I store the videos/gameplay recordings

I would suggest you to upgrade the PC with an m.2 as it will beneficial and use the mx500 with an enclosure as external . As for media storage 500 MB/s read/write speed is fast.
as per my knowledge most nvme enclosures available on amazon have max speed of 10 GB/s which will restrict an Nvme speeds .
10 Gbps not B

Back