SSD low speed in benchmarks.. How?

Dear All,

Please find my Score of SSD Samsung EVO Plus 1TB..

Same with other score.

1604339108125.png

Reviews say... Anvil score is aroung 12,000. I am getting only 3000. Why ??

1604339030618.png

Attachments

• 1604338869403.png
    1604338869403.png
    226 KB · Views: 87
Please check which slot on mobo you have placed the SSD and read your mobo specs to see if the slot speed is reduced due to using other devices in PCI/SATA slots.

Some mobos have these restrictions where the speed is reduced like PCIe 3.0 x2 and not x4 depending on what is placed where...

it is placed in M.2 slot as written. Not sure about PCIe 3.0 *2 or X4..
Pic
1604419646270.png

mobo is H97D3H gigabyte
it is Gen 2X2. still speed is low.?

Last edited:
H97 is old motherboard i think and gen 2 won't give the speeds you expected. One of the reason i also didn't buy one when I had z97 motherboard. You would not get full speed.

Online mobo specs seem to say only 10 gigabits per second speed, so your SSD speeds seem OK for this mobo.

Read speed in test coming 830 MB/sec.. .Even if i consider 10 Gigs./sec , then also seems very low ...
  1. 1 x M.2 PCIe connector
    (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA & PCIe SSD support).. .Mobo spec..

Read speed in test coming 830 MB/sec.. .Even if i consider 10 Gigs./sec , then also seems very low ...
You can keep going in circles, but for 2 x2 you won't hit more than 1000 mbps theoretical.

nvme io test has always been tricky. seems fio is probably most accurate with perf testing https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

my wild guess is that the mobo is still using sata protocol instead of nvme.
Storage Interface
Chipset:
    (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA & PCIe SSD support)
  2. 1 x SATA Express connector
  3. 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
    (M.2, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed.)
  4. Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
from the above specs, seems like one m2 port runs on sata and the other runs on pcie, for highest performance you have to connect the ssd to m2 pcie port mentioned in pt.1.
a quick explenation would be: if you connect the m2 on sata port (pt.3) even though the ssd is nvme, the mobo will still use sata protocol and will be limited by sata controller speeds (in this case 6Gbps) and also there would be a translation overhead from sata protocol to nvme protocol and back and forth.

nvme io test has always been tricky. seems fio is probably most accurate with perf testing https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

my wild guess is that the mobo is still using sata protocol instead of nvme.

from the above specs, seems like one m2 port runs on sata and the other runs on pcie, for highest performance you have to connect the ssd to m2 pcie port mentioned in pt.1.
a quick explenation would be: if you connect the m2 on sata port (pt.3) even though the ssd is nvme, the mobo will still use sata protocol and will be limited by sata controller speeds (in this case 6Gbps) and also there would be a translation overhead from sata protocol to nvme protocol and back and forth.
But wouldn't sata speeds not exceed 600 mbps (max throughout) ? His is at 800 mbps+, so it's clearly at an old gen pcie protocol ?
@terminater Since it's a Samsung drive, use Samsung Magician and it will tell the exact interface being used:

sBrrg7O.jpg

Last edited:
But wouldn't sata speeds not exceed 600 mbps (max throughout) ? His is at 800 mbps+, so it's clearly at an old gen pcie protocol ?
@terminater Since it's a Samsung drive, use Samsung Magician and it will tell the exact interface being used:

sBrrg7O.jpg
there is also caching involved. to get exact number you have to use direct io. linux dd equivalent is oflag=direct also you have to do it on raw device to remove file system overhead. as i said it gets really weird really soon.

You are mistaking BITs and BYTEs here... Your mobo spec is max 10 giga BITs per second (or 1 giga BYTE per second), so your SSD speed test is in the expected range.

Back