Storage Solutions SSD Queries.

SSD Queries on abit IP35e

I'm planning to buy a SSD for the OS(Windows 7 64bit) drive.
Which capacity would be optimal? Won't there be any issues if the OS is in one hdd and the softwares are installed in other hdd?

Also, my mother board is abit IP35e. Will i be able to use SSD on this motherboard without any problems? coz i see that ssds require AHCI which this motherboard doesnot support.

JFYI, this my current system config:
Intel E8400 3.0Ghz,
abit IP35e
6 GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installed on WD 1tb hdd.

Will there be noticeable difference if i change the OS hdd to an SSD?

And finally.....which SSD do you recommend for a budget of around 5k?

you can install softwares on other hdd it will be okay but slightly mess up things for you to remember and you will not get the benefit of fast loading of apps/games installed on other hdd. If you are thinking of buying SSD only to improve boot time it is fine but if you want your programs to load fast better to have everything(apps) installed on SSD.

Not sure if you mobo support ssd or not so can't answer that query.
For 5k OCZ vertex 2 40 gb SSD is good but recommend at least 60GB OCZ vertex 2 SSD if you can increase your budget to 6.5-7K.

^^thanks for the reply.

What I plan to do is, since win 7 takes around 20gb, I will still have almost 20gb to install apps on a 40gb ssd. So I will install all the start up apps and apps that I frequently use like firefox etc on this ssd and other apps on diff hdd.

Anyways from where can I buy ocz ssd..? Any dealer in TE?

Sent from iPhone

AHCI improves the performance (read/write speeds) of the SSD. I am using one on a G31 motherboard. No issues here except the slightly lower speeds which is not noticeable on real world applications.

+1 for the OCZ Vertex 2. Prime abgb has it. Here is an ebay link - eBay India: OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5 inch SSD, 60GB (item 260723510527 end time 24-Jan-2011 11:44:06 IST)

PS: Don't bother with the only negative rating they've got. They are pretty good in the business. Not sure if there are other dealers retailing this SSD. Call them up and confirm the deal if you have bought one via ebay.

Congratss!!! Please post your experiences with it. Will be very helpful for people like me who are still researching and preparing to make the jump :)

Back