Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS QUITE A FEW IMAGES. THUS THIS THREAD MAY LOAD SLOWLY FOR DIALUP USERS. PLEASE BE PATIENT

STAR WARS : JEDI KNIGHT JEDI ACADEMY
THE REVIEW
This is one of the Star Wars games available in the market. Though I have not played all the star war games available, and this has been my second star war game (I played Star Wars Jedi Knight : Jedi Outcast).

The game Jedi Knight Jedi Academy(JKJA) uses the Quake3 engine. Here, you assume the role of Jaden (prequels of this game, had you playing as Kyle Katarn). Kyle has now joined Luke as a teacher in the Jedi Academy. You can choose to be a male or a female in this game….even modifying your clothes, the color of your lightsaber, the hilt of your lightsaber….some features not avalilable in previous games.

You start as a new student in the Jedi Academy. Where you have to train to use your force powers, this training is hindered by your jealous friend called Rosh Pennin. In all, the early levels aren't too much of a challenge and can be passed in the matter of a few hours. It's nice that the game offers a series of fairly short, relatively unconnected missions at the start. It's a great way to get a feel of the game and get ready for the higher levels.

You have a group of five missions to choose from after the introductory training is over. You can choose these missions in any order (and even skip the fifth one if you want to get on with the story) before you're forced to take a mission along the main plot line. Once that's done, you'll have the chance to choose from five more missions before the process repeats itself again. These smaller missions offer a chance to build up extra Force powers and even reveal some small clues to the overall shape of the main story.

Though sometimes you may find yourself wondering what exactly are you required to do in order to progress in the game, especially for those not familiar with the Star Wars games. This is because the annoying “find the key to open the door†puzzles are now gone (almost), and the situations where you are required to use a certain force power are very rare. Despite the fact that you can skip a mission in each of the three mission packs in the game, it is not indicated to do so, since after each successful mission you will receive experience points, which you can use to upgrade one of the eight force powers: absorb, protection, heal, mind trick, drain, grip, lighting and rage, each of them having three levels. Basic force powers (force pull, speed, jump) also have three strength levels, but they increase as you progress through the game. Though you will not be able to have all the eight powers brought to full strength once, people may try to complete the single player one more time.

Before the start of each mission, you can take two more weapons and one type of grenade with you. However, this also does not have a significant impact on the way that you will finish the mission. This is mainly because of the fact that, a few situations require the Disruption Rifle while for the rest of the game, your light saber and force powers will suffice. The player has a choice to wield two light sabers or to use the saber staff(which is again an excellent feature). While the single light saber has three different attack modes, the others have only one mode and can be thrown at an opponent only if you switch to single saber mode. The three sabers have specific movements, which are given in the main menu demonstrating the use of the moves. One drawback is that we cannot change from dual saber or saber staff back to one saber during the game. Thus, here comes another reason to finish the game again ).

As expected(a feature from the prequels), the imperial soldiers are easy to kill, meanwhile, the saber wielders are fun fighting with(fun as in you have a nice time fighting with them). They differ from each other through combat styles, force powers they use and the difficulty level you choose. Even then, it is quite easy to throw these saber wielders into an abyss(make them fall down) quite easily(which is fun too). Sometimes, they even fall down on their own. Unlike the prequels, Force Speed is not the ultimate Force Power to have. As since the enemies now know how to use the level particularities to their advantage, or can they can use Force Speed themselves.

In a later stage of the game you can choose between the good and dark side of the force, the result of which is two different game endings. Although I have finished the game while being on the good side,I did however manage to have a taste of the dark side too…. And it was fun, it just simply adds to the toughness of the game… as all the dark and the good Jedi are out to get you.

Another good feature of this game which is worth mentioning, are the Jedi fights. You get to fight with 2-3 Jedi’s at a time also, which is quite an experience (the same can be a frustration for a few simple/general gamers).

People who play this game cant complain about the Jedi fights as they are plenty of them in the later stages.

Though this game has an option for multiplayer gaming, I was unable to test it. But, according to reviews of other sites, the multiplayer option is just as good.

Overall, I would say this game is a must for those of you who like the Star Wars games and also, for the other casual gamers. For those of you who play Quake, Unreal etc. this may just not be a game of your taste but it surely had me hooked throughout. The game sounds are good too along with a wide variety of maps.

In the end, I would like to give it a rating as below

RATING: 8.5/10

Visit The Website: Here

System Requirements:

Minimum Requirements:

Processor : 450 MHz Or Equivalent

RAM: 128 MB

CD-ROM: 4X

VIDEO MEMORY: 32 MB

DIRECT X: DirectX Ver. 9.0

Speakers/Keyboard/Mouse and other essential Stuff.

Hit Shift + ~ to activate the text screen type devmapall or helpusobi 1 to enable cheats.

After invoking the text screen, type one of the following and press enter.

god - God mode

noclip - No clipping mode

addsaberstyle x - adds another saberstyle to your list, type fast, medium, strong, dual, etc. in place of x.

atst_vehicle - spawns a pilotable AT ST Walker

cg_drawfps 1 - Shows your framerate on screen.

com_maxfps (X) - Set your maximum frame rate.

devmap (level name) - Warps to that level with cheats on

devmapall - Enables cheats

drive_atst - Drive an AT-ST

fly_xwing - Fly an X-Wing (Can cause game to crash)

g_saberpickupabledroppedsabers (0 or 1) - Pick up dropped sabers

g_saberrealisticcombat 2 - Dismemberment on!!

give all - Give all Weapons, ammo, force mana, etc.

give ammo - Increase ammo

give armor - Increase armor

give force - This recharges your force power meter to max.

give health - Increase health

iknowkungfu - Use streetfighting moves e.g. Throws, punches, kicks

kill - Suicide

lambdashuttle - spawns a flyabel Imperial Shuttle

model jawa - Play as a Jawa

noclip - No clipping Mode

notarget - Turns off Enemy AI

npc kill all - Kills all NPCs

npc spawn jedi_random - spawns a random jedi to help you.

npc spawn jedimaster - spawns a jedi master to help you.

npc spawn rebormmaster - spawns an enemy reborn master. Now you can make large scale jedi fights wherever you go =).

npc spawn reborn_new - spawns an enemy reborn with a single saber

playermodel boba_fett - Play as Boba Fett

playermodel default - stormtrooper model and makes you an enemy

playerteam free - fight the good side and the dark side

rancor_vehicle - spawns a ridable Rancor (Note: you have to do the same thing as the wampa )

saber 1 saber 1 - Grants you dual lightsabers. They start as the color red usually however their colors can be changed.

saber dual_1 - Gives you a double edged lightsaber. The number you use at the end effects which hilt you get. Any number 1-5 works.

saber single_x - Gives you one saber, type a number 1-6 in place of x for different hilts.

saber single_x single_x - Gives you dual sabers, where x is a value 1-6 for different hilts.

sabercolor (color1)(color2) - Changes saber's color

setforceall (1 to 3) - set force abilities

setforceall 7 - Sets force skills to their maximum effective level. Saber offence max setting is 7.

setsaberall (1 to 10) - Raises saber abilities

setsaberstyle x - Gives you one saberstyle x. You can use Fast, Medium, Strong, Dual, and a few others in place of x.

swoop_mp - spawns a red colored swoop bike

According to the story, You have built your own lightsaber which is usually a part of the Jedi training. But, you are not treated as an abnormal student getting the same training.(One thing good in this sequel is that u get a light saber from the word go.) The transport being used by you to go to the academy is attacked and crashes into the ground. As survivors, you and Rosh become friends and slowly he grows jealous of your abilities.After the training is completed, you are presented with the following missions to choose from

1. Mercenary Activity – Tatooine -Eliminate the Mercenary Threat, Disable the Tractor Beams holding the Ravens Claw, and Disable the Tractor Beams holding the Millennium Falcon, Get Back to the Millennium Falcon.
  2. Droid Recovery – Tatooine - A moisture Farmer on Tatooine recently overheard a group of smugglers talking about a sith cult in a local bar and had his R5 droid record the conversation. Unfortunately, he became afraid and sold the droid to some jawas before leaving Tatooine. We need to get a hold of that droid before the jawas wipe its memory. You are to locate the jawas, purchase the droid and return to the academy.
  3. Merchant Rescue – Blenjeel - The academy has received a distress call from a merchant ship that crashed on the planet Blenjeel. They were pulled from hyperspace when they crossed paths with an interdictor cruiser. The imperials, apparently not wanting their presence known, fired on the merchant ship. The merchants managed to make it to the planet surface and call for help. As far as known the planet is uninhabited.(Be careful of the sand burrower).
  4. Emergency Assistance – Bakura - Officials from the planet Bakura have requested ourassistance. An unknown party has taken control of a power station up in the mountains. They sent a team to investigate, but they haven't reported in. Their concern is two-fold: they want to stop whoever has taken over the station, and more importantly ensure that the stationitself remains undamaged. The station is built over a dormant volcano, and if the facility is destroyed, the volcano could destroy a heavily populated city. The Bakurans' need someone to infiltrate the facility and thwart the group's plan.
  5. Cult Investigation – Corellia - The city of Coronet on Corellia has had numerous reports of activity by the Disciples of Ragnos. However, it's not clear if it's really the Sith cult or if the locals are just being paranoid after hearing about it on the Holonet. Go to Coronet and determine the truth.(Stop the train….a good level).Luke has summoned all available Jedi back to the academy.
  6. Hoth – Investigation - Investigate the site of Luke's vision of Obi-wan in the wastelands of Hoth to determine if the cult of Ragnos has been there.(Snow level)( you get to ride a Ton-Ton here)(you get to fight Alora in the end of this level.)

Return to the academy and report to Luke what you have found on Hoth.You now have the Fast and Strong Lightsaber Styles.
  7. Rescue Mission - Nar Kreeta - Infiltrate the Hutt's stronghold and locate the prisoners; You have freed 0-16 of 16 prisoners; Avoid the Rancor(Beware of the Rancor-it can kill u but u cant kill it-a rescue and run mission )
  8. Meet Contact - Zonju V - Meet the contact at his outpost; Escape the mercenaries and make your way to the far city gate.(Guess what??? You get to ride a swoop bike in this….believe me its loads of fun….don’t exactly remember the number of times I played this level-mainly due to the swoop bikes).
  9. Covert Operation - Kril'dor - Place targeting beacon on the roof of the Shield Generator building. Place a targeting beacon on the roof of the hangar. Place a targeting beacon on the roof of the barracks. Place a targeting bacon on the roof of the communications array. Place a targeting beacon on the power generator. Place a targeting beacon in the command center. Disarm the remaining 4-0 bombs on the tibanna gas tanks. Return to your ship.
  10. Capture Crime Lord – Coruscant - Capture Lannik Racto; Gain Access to Racto's Office building.(nice mission)
  11. Cult Investigation – Dosuun - Escape the Prison; Disable security locks from commander's Office; Gain access to the docking bay; (Ride an AT-ST in this mission)After these minute missions are over, come the slightly tougher missions…
  12. Vjun - The Big Dead Important Rock-Darth Vader's Castle. At the end of the above level, you fight Rosh.

Kyle and Luke will discuss these events. Luke will tell you to build a new Saber.(After you defeat him, you get to choose an additional saber, I chose a Two-Handed Saber and in the second time I played the game, I chose a saber staff).It was easier with the Two-Handed Saber.

The real missions start now….
  13. Cult Sighting – Chandrila - some cultists have broken into an ancient tomb that is supposedly the burial site of a Jedi
  14. Cult Investigation – Tanaab – You face a Mutated Rancor(this level is fun)No weapons work against him.(Run for your life!!!!!!!!).
  15. Dismantle Device – Yalara – You have to dismantle a cloaking device.
  16. Force Theft Investigation – Byss – Disable the tractor beam holding the Raven's Claw in place; Use the Laser turrets at the top of the ship to hold off the attacking TIE fighters; You get to use a turret to blast some TIE fighters in this level.
  17. Weapon Destruction - Ord Mantell – Fight Boba FettReturn to the academy.

Master Skywalker has summoned all Jedi back to the Academy.
  18. Taspir 3 - Rosh's Repentance – Gain access to the Imperial Power facility; Extend the bridge and heat shields leading to the security override controls; extend the main walkway to the Imperial power facility. Search for Rosh. Turn off your saber to stay on the Light Side. Attack Rosh to turn to the Dark Side. Kill Alora.
  19. Korriban - The Tombs (light side) – Final fight. (Kill a mutated Tavion who has Marka Ragnos possessing her body – excellent combat and an extremely hard one).This is one level where there is loads of Jedi fights. The Tombs have got an excellent scenery/view.

That’s just about it.
This is the end of the game.
If u chose the path of light, choose the dark path and try to complete this level(More challenging)

Enemies you face during the game:

• Cultists
  • F.A.'s (Force Acrobats)
  • New Reborn
  • Reborn
  • Tavion
  • Alora
  • Rosh(at some time)
  • Weequay
  • Trandoshan
  • Gran
  • Stormtrooper
  • Snowtrooper
  • Wampa
  • Rancor
  • Dark Trooper Phase 2
  • Dark Trooper Phase 3
  • Imperial Saboteur
  • Boba Fett
  • Chiss
  • Cantinas
Allies:
  • Kyle
  • Rosh(Not to be killed)
  • Human Male Jedi
  • Human Female Jedi
  • Kel Dor Male Jedi
  • Rodian Male Jedi
  • Tw'lek Female Jedi
  • Zabrak Jedi
Weapons:
  • Lightsaber - Saber staff (two-handed saber) - Dual Sabers
  • DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol
  • E-11 Blaster Rifle (Stormtrooper Rifle)
  • Tenloss DXR-6 Disruptor Rifle
  • Wookie Bowcaster
  • Imperial Heavy Repeater with Concussion Launcher
  • Destructive Electro Magnetic Pulse 2 Gun (DEMP)
  • Golan Arms FC1 Flechette Weapon
  • Stouker Concussion Rifle
  • Mer-Sonn PLX-2M Portable Missile System
  • Thermal Detonator
  • Remote Detonation Pack
  • Trip Mine

Force Powers
Basic Powers:
  • Force Jump
  • Force Speed
  • Force Push
  • Force Pull
  • Force Sense
  • Saber Throw
  • Saber Defense
  • Saber Offence

Light Powers:
  • Force Absorption
  • Force Pull
  • Force Heal
  • Force Protection
  • Force Mind Trick

Dark Powers:
  • Force Drain
  • Force Lightning
  • Dark Rage
  • Force Grip

Hmmmm... well this is how a review should be... comprehensive.. its good to set the guidelines and standard for these things. Good job and reps.

Maybe we should appoint someone for these comprehensive reviews.

good review but id like to add my own bit.

the game isnt that good, not even worth playing if you have played jk2 jedi outcast (still the best sp game on the pc), the game just hasnt lived up how good jk2 was.

but if you havent played jk2 you might like the game.

i think 95% of the ppl who have played both the games will agree with me

stormblast said:
good review but id like to add my own bit.
the game isnt that good, not even worth playing if you have played jk2 jedi outcast (still the best sp game on the pc), the game just hasnt lived up how good jk2 was.
but if you havent played jk2 you might like the game.
i think 95% of the ppl who have played both the games will agree with me

Well Stormblast,

i dont quite share your views there:bleh:
i have played both the games.....while i have Jedi Academy, i played and finished Jedi Outcast at my cousins place;).

As far as the stories go, i think both are equally matched....almost....Jedi Academy scores when it comes to storyline as it has multiple endings:p unlike Outcast.
Though i do agree that Jedi Outcast had some better features, i overall think that Academy outruns Outcast just due to the amount of Jedi Fights you have here:p (I like Jedi Fights;) ).
I do agree that more than 90% of the ppl who have played both do prefer/like Outcast over Academy....but i must say, its personal opinion that counts:p and I am not in the 90% who think so;).
Anyways, if you do have some time, do try posting a review of Jedi Outcast:D I would be glad to read one from you.
Also, I am happy that you voiced your opinion.

Thanks to all.

ya i know diff ppl would have diff opinions thats y i said 95% or 90% in your cause & not 100%.

anyways i dint find anything that interesting in academy, the story is outcast was crazy, but the downside of outcast is the 1st 3 levels are boriiiing like hell untill u finally get the light saber & then the real game begins.

if you like game with storylines then play mgs1 (best game storyline ever, period)

oh no ...
now i have to give some reps :p
for a change that is.. mine usually go to the real deserving ones.. this one fits that

Back