CPU/Mobo Start button won't work!

HellSlyne

Adept
The problem started after a usual power failure yesterday. I pressed the start button on the box and PC just won't start. The motherboard led was lit. After trying for a few minutes, there it starts - without any hiccups. What's wrong? :(

This thing happened again afterwards - Press start...No response...5 minutes...Try again...Starts as normal.

PS: My APC UPS is 550KVA and its battery doesn't hold charge. It has button problems... I know these may not be related but my gut feelings say otherwise.

TIA, Sajit

this can be a power supply side issue.

check everything from your wall socket to ups and all connectors.

I have spent ridiculous amount of time in same situation as yours. at last found that MX surge protector was the issue.

I pretty much concluded that UPS is at fault here. I can't turn on my system until the power is switched from battery to line AC. It turns off sometimes without any beep. Otherwise, everything seems to be fine but I need to buy a new UPS. What do you guys suggest? I may upgrade my system next year.

Ok, my system dies on me again but this time she won't revive herself. I tried connecting PSU to the wall socket directly. No luck - guess that rules out UPS. I've decided to strip her and try the below today afternoon:

1) Short power button pins on motherboard.
2) Relieve PSU from junk like CFLs, fan controller, etc
3) Check 24/8 pins.
4) Reseat/Remove RAMs and graphics card.

Is there anything else I can try?

Does your PC start after connecting directly to wall outlet? If it does start then whats the next failure your PC is facing? Please explain in detail. My friend has faced the same issue, I can give you some advice on that.

Most probably a dying psu. Your system may work fine if you let it be for a day, or even after that may work for few days, months and then die away. I mean psu.

Remove your psu and short it to start it without any components attached.

Yup also check spike guard.

Check cables inside your cabinet for cross connections. Try powering on without hdd connected.

I gave it for repair and he found fault with PSU - bulged/dead capicators. I have to replace PSU. What is my best option - FSP 500/Seasonic 520?

sajitsm said:
I gave it for repair and he found fault with PSU - bulged/dead capicators. I have to replace PSU. What is my best option - FSP 500/Seasonic 520?

Though I read it today, I had the same issue and it turned out to be buggy caps so the PSU was replaced cause it was in warranty.

Go with Seasonic S II 520W its a pretty good PSU plus you get 5 years warranty. Though I myself use Seasonic 500W as S II series was not available in India when I assembled my rig. TE has many users of S II 520W you can get further first hand info from them.

Hope it helps. :)

Back