Starting a Hookah parlour in Thane

Hey,
A close friend of mine has just finished his BCOM, and is not interested in further studies...
So he is thinking of starting a Hookah Parlour in Thane...

So he wanted to know what kind of Licenses/ Permits are required in order to start one in India (Thane)...
Since Smoking is allowed anywhere in India, I think it will not require any Licences,
A Liquor License will be necessary for Serving Drinks... :eek:hyeah:

What else does he need to know???
Any knowledge/Experiance you share will be helpful...

Starting money is not an issue for him...

Thanx in Advance,
kidpikoon

Seems like I have to come there , since this stupid idiotic Karnataka GOvt has banned hookah in bangalore now :x :x :x !!! So many f'in bans :x .

On topic though, I don't have much about license . But smoking is not allowed in public places in India , so you might have to take special permission.

I've rarely seen Hookah place serving drinks and generally is a weird combo :p

Main selling point are ambiance and flavor.

Tell him to make ambience a bit different than regular hookah place/coffee shops.

Maybe have an Arabian theme . :)

@OP, I have a different review, everybody knows that smoking is injurious to the smoker and also to others as it pollute the environmen as well, so i dont support that.

Since your friend is a graduate he have lots of other field where he can start a bussiness and also can excel in it.

I am still confusued why he choosed this type of business, as a friend you (OP) can advice and guide in choosing a good business.

Hope i am not offending you;)

This buisness is Quite Profitable...

Since each Hookah costs ~Rs.50 to the seller, but costs Rs.350 to the buyer, thats 500% profit, without actual Salesmanship...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

So what what does he need to know/do???

[Legal stuff, and under the table stuff]

I think food licence will also be necessary for serving Starters...

You can also PM me if u cannot give some info on the Thread...

eggman said:
From that TOI

Yediyur corporator N R Ramesh raised the issue: "Hookah centres have been mushrooming, especially in the vicinity of schools and colleges. They are called `Sheesha bars' and students are falling into this trap and becoming addicts. Instead of tobacco, most centres use charcoal which emits carbon monoxide and creates health hazards when inhaled." Ramesh submitted his observations to the mayor.
Of course they use charcoal, what else are they to use ?

The other point and you can never be sure is whether these corporators have even completed high school. You only get carbon monoxide when there is incomplete combustion, ie a shortage of oxygen. In which case the problem isn't CO but that most ppl in the room will asphyiate and die. It is impossible to get CO from a hookah under normal circumstances in a bar. No chance!

Ramesh pointed out that these centres violate rules. "Ideally in the making of hookah, tobacco is treated with water and milk, but that's not the case in the city. There is only one centre in Istanbul which has practised hookah sale as per norms for the past 360 years," he claimed.
Utter BS!

Mayor S K Nataraj immediately ordered a ban on all hookah centres. "It's a serious issue. Health inspectors must stop illegal activities. The BBMP will put in place measures to implement this ban," he said.
Health inspectors ? Why the hell do i still get food poisoning then. Why can't they do their job there.

Illegal activites ? Like what.

BBMP officials said hookah centres don't come under its trade licence net.
And there you have it. If govt does not get its cut, then it is banned.

Very simple reason why give all these nonsense stories.

^ +1

I know , right !

The govt should educate people, if they are really so concerned, about the health hazards and then they should let them choose. Not directly ban it !!! :x

it is actually a good concept, people from here have to go to andheri or town for this, but prime location like panchphakadi is not that good , main reason being parking problem & finding place is very difficult & even if one gets a place, it would be very expensive, since its a start i would not get into debt right away if i was you.

secondly, i would prefer highway area where people can easily move & easily visible with less polution as you are already into health hazard, panchphakadi area is basically termed as FOODIES area & there are no beer bars too as far as i know.

from teen haath naka towards ghodbunder is good location as far as parking & open space is concerned, lots of construction happening, hence place would not be a big problem & it is not about prime location, people who want to will come, just like people who go to town.

O yea...the million auto wallah's who fleece people and make passes at women in broad daylight won't hurt the morals of society...but hookah???? That shit's just inexcusable! BAN IT NOW.

Got the Following Info:

Useful so I thought I can share it...

"Firstly you would need a license from the Excise department, then a VAT license from the commercial taxes dept, labour licence and clearances/misc licenses from the local municipality. These are the general licenses for this business but the clearances change from place to place and I dont know the exact details of Thane.

The biggest problem and the most expensive will be the license to operate a bar from the Excise department. Smoking tobacco publicly is prohibited in India (in name). You will be better off offering tobacco-less hookahs."

Back