PC Peripherals Static Shock To The Power Button

bluEzz

Disciple
So this fateful night.. my friend came home.. removed his jacket.. with lots of static at hand, he moved to turn on his desktop. With a plan to send thunder bolts all across his system.. he touched the power button.. he got a static shock but did not get a chance to actually press the button.. the machine turned itself on.. we all went “WWHHOOOAAAAHHâ€. :O

2 seconds later.. the machine turned itself off automatically and has now been declared dead. It is not responding to the power button either.
Thoughts?
Suggestions? :ashamed:

Tried a different motherboard? Tried with the power button disconnected totally, and using only the board's pins and a screwdriver?

Tried a hacked (always on) power supply?

When the system boted, did it shut off after a point, and what was that point - did it get to the boot screen, did it boot the OS, or stayed in a BIOS screen?

The two events may be unrelated... The static would have bled to the I/O circuitry, but don't know if it would have damaged it.

The system was on for 2 seconds. Too short a time.. nothing was up on the screen by then.

I had tried different motherboard and tried screwdriver as well. Power supply works fine with a different motherboard and all the other peripherals work ok (RAM, Graphic crad, HDD etc)

I just tried the hack (always on hack). The processor fan turns on but nothing shows up on the screen.
The Graphic card fan is also running but blank screen.

Its either the PSU or the Mobo... Cant be RAM or the CPU... In any case if its under warranty you will get a replacement...

@edit... After reading the whole thread... Its the Mofo :p...

Back