Steam Dev Day: Announcements and speculations

jc36lect3r

Skilled
The Steam Dev Day is under progress. Day 1 highlights:

• 12 new local currencies to be added in 2014. Indian Rupee NOT included.
  • Steam controller drops center touchscreen for physical buttons.
  • Steam Wallet transfers will be added in 2014.
  • Source 2 is being developed with Linux and OpenGL support.
  • Steam now has over 75 million active users.

Some pretty big announcements, especially the Steam wallet exchange and local currencies. Thoughts?

l8SRsvi.jpg

Yeah, first I was disappointed, then I thought it through and found out it might not be so bad. It will be interesting to see the pricing in other SEA regions like Malaysia.

Indian rupee not being part might work in our favor. There wont be region specific pricing.
That's what I thought too. I think Origin is a good example of how things could go. We don't get the same level of offers as the US site. And now we are slowly losing any advantages region specific pricing offered.

On the other hand Russia and Brazil get favorable regional pricing and having been getting it for a long time. I think the fact that the whole SEA region contributes only 1% of the Steam sale may have something to do with it.

So the regional currencies for SEA countries went live today. The regional pricing is actually much better than the default US pricing, although the newer games are region locked to SEA countries. Philippines enjoy the lowest prices, only higher than Russia. Now I am sad that Indian rupee is not supported yet. I would have preferred region locked games for a lower price in Steam.

Back