Budget 0-20k Stick it out with DDR3 or move to DDR4 platform?

RadarHz

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - i5-3470
    • Motherboard - GA-H61M
    • GPU - Strix Gaming RX 570 4GB
    • RAM - 4GB + 4GB (Kingston + Transcend)
    • PSU - P550B
    • SSD 240GB + HDD 500GB
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Everything except CPU/Mob/RAM
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • i5-9400F
    • H310 motherboard, whichever one I can afford
    • 8GB x 1, 2666MHz RAM, will leave the other spot for a later upgrade
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • RAM/SSD?
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Online/TE Deals if found
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • RAM
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming, all I need is 900p30 or 720p60
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • AAA Titles
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1280x720
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Not really
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 20H2

I've been running this system since 2012, with RAM/CPU/GPU/SSD upgrades along the way. Still works perfectly fine but I can tell the age of the hardware. Microfreezes during games is quite noticeable now. I'm thinking the 9th gen i5 should hold up for the next half a decade or so if I don't really care about having the newest and the best?

I might end up selling my AMD 2700 with a ASUS A320MK motherboard soon (not sure for now), so might give you a heads up on that if you would be interested, but at the same time to get you a motherboard+ram+processor unless its used is kinda hard especially something that would definitely be more useful going forward. Is extending your budget till atleast 30k for new stuff an option?

I don't want to cross the 20-25k limit because it feels like overpaying for stuff that I won't really use. Also I cannot edit the original post for some reason, but deals for used hardware, especially combos are good enough for me if priced in this range.

20K is the price range I'm focusing on because thats what a new i5-9400F + H310M + 8GB should cost. I prefer the i5 with 6 cores because of video transcoding purposes.

Last edited:
I don't want to cross the 20-25k limit because it feels like overpaying for stuff that I won't really use. Also I cannot edit the original post for some reason, but deals for used hardware, especially combos are good enough for me if priced in this range.

20K is the price range I'm focusing on because thats what a new i5-9400F + H310M + 8GB should cost. I prefer the i5 with 6 cores because of video transcoding purposes.
For video transcoding 8Gb is really weak along with the 9400F why not wait for a while, raise your budget and then look at the market? As of now we dont have any 11400 announcements in India which would even push down the 10400 prices further to make it an equivalent option could be attributed because of the lockdowns.

It's a lot faster than what I'm working with right now, which is kind of what I was going for. I don't need it for production purposes, so it doesn't have to be any quicker than the slowest 6-core i5 out there. As long as I don't have microfreezing issues it's enough for me, and the i5 9th gen looks capable of that.

But I'm not in any rush either so maybe I will wait and see how the market turns out later.

If all you care about is 1080p/30fps i5 9400f is enuf atleast for 5 years give or take . And u can buy above combo for 20k easily..
Lookout for used deals

Open the whole thing and apply new thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, blow dry cabinet insides. See if the freezes stop. You still might not need to upgrade.

Back