All OS Stolen phone..

r19

Disciple
So got my phone picked two weeks ago in Chennai. It was at a busy bus stop and I felt some touches but wasn't alert enough to recognize my phone's being stolen. Stupid , but nothing can be done. Anyway, I thought that the police can easily crack the case as there likely would be some CCTV footage and I was going to them immediately. Instead, they spoke rudely and refused to file theft case as 'I didn't know anything about the physical appearance of the thief'(lol) and there would be complex procedures. Another also said that there were many cases like that coming from the same place(you know why), and they find them all using CEIR which I found wasn't true when I came home. Kind of gave up as it would be less likely after a day had passed but kind of wondering if something more could have been done. Had some unbacked data which probably had already been cleared by then. Who know though. Might have tried to file an FIR with a good lawyer (it should be possible to find one). At least it could have helped prevent more such cases.

With all the details you have with you. Register a complaint cybercrime portal. Even though this is not exactly that. Still, you can mention you attempted to go to the police and which was not helpful. Register that in it and take the complaint number and then. Look for the person/officer in charge of the area where u had this stolen. Look inside the contact details of the cybercrime portal u will find the email of the officer in charge or others. With this complaint number leave them a mail stating the same.

With all the details you have with you. Register a complaint cybercrime portal. Even though this is not exactly that. Still, you can mention you attempted to go to the police and which was not helpful. Register that in it and take the complaint number and then. Look for the person/officer in charge of the area where u had this stolen. Look inside the contact details of the cybercrime portal u will find the email of the officer in charge or others. With this complaint number leave them a mail stating the same.

They registered the number and put the IMEI under tracking. But it was registered as missing (CSR something is written on the document they gave us) and not as stolen. Not sure if filing a complaint with cybercrime portal with help with that. They didn't seem to try to want to nab the thieves using footage or by placing police at the stop.

Read few threads yesterday. I was too confident of police before I contacted them on that day but guess things haven't changed much from before.. Or maybe thar was just a poorer(low income) place.

You need to know someone in the Po Po department for them to help you out. They can and will track mobile phones, based on SIM, as well as with IMEI.
eg: a few days ago, a friend of mine had run away from home and family due to a domestic disagreement. We searched all nooks and crannies for him, like the local watering holes, and couldn't find him. Finally, we approached a mutual friend who is "well connected". He called up his po-po friend and we had his location within minutes. This was based upon SIM number tracking. A few hours after this, our missing friend acquired a different SIM and travelled to another town. We couldn't find him when we reached his last location. Again a call to the po-po friend, and they tracked his IMEI which was captured in the previous request and shared the location with us. Using this info, we were able to reach his location and find him before he did anything stupid. This was all done without filing an official complaint.

You need to know someone in the Po Po department for them to help you out. They can and will track mobile phones, based on SIM, as well as with IMEI.
eg: a few days ago, a friend of mine had run away from home and family due to a domestic disagreement. We searched all nooks and crannies for him, like the local watering holes, and couldn't find him. Finally, we approached a mutual friend who is "well connected". He called up his po-po friend and we had his location within minutes. This was based upon SIM number tracking. A few hours after this, our missing friend acquired a different SIM and travelled to another town. We couldn't find him when we reached his last location. Again a call to the po-po friend, and they tracked his IMEI which was captured in the previous request and shared the location with us. Using this info, we were able to reach his location and find him before he did anything stupid. This was all done without filing an official complaint.
Good that it went well. The police said that they've put the phone on tracking and some CSR no was given with which I can check the status online. I think since they've given a number it should have been put in tracking. Hopefully someone puts a SIM in it and it gets tracked

I went to the station again. At least they were talking properly. The phone seems to have been put on tracking, at least it was on some list. I'll put it on the Center govt site if there's no update. The phone's still coming up on Android's find my device so it seems the net connection hasn't been activated. I asked about CCTVs and some vague answers were given. Things like they do it at a blind spot, they do it in groups etc. There was a policewoman(not on duty) near the crime scene who I contacted immediately, so ideally that person should have contacted and caught by looking at cctv footage.
Any updates?

Back