Budget 31-40k Storage Mountain

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Hi All,

So my HTPC is all up and ready.

Now the next step i want to do, is a dedicated storage machine. Just for my HDD's. I dont want it as a NAS as of now. But if i want to make it a NAS, it should be done using software without any hardware changes. So please recommend me some Hardware according to that.

As of now, I have around 8~10 HDD's.

This machine is NOT for gaming or HD movies or anything. Just HDD access. With blazing speeds.
eSATA/Port multipliers etc.

I need the optimum cabinet\PSU\Lan\Sata ports possible for this.

The one I have in mind is Cooler Master Storm Stryke for around 12k I guess.

Dunno how much is COSMOS II

What is your budget?

What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Nothing

Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Nothing

Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Cab - cooler master storm stryke

P.S - This is what i found doing google. If something better, pleease

Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes

Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Open to online purchase

Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes

What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Storage

Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Dont need products from company which do not have a good service background

If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Nope

What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Either 27" or 43" FHD. But this will be headless

Are you looking to overclock?
No

Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 Or anything if u guys think is best

I vote for one of the A85X boards, those have 7-8 ports native and some will add on more controllers for a proper storage mountain. Plus add-in cards - 4 ports each - and you could end up with lots of drives without any issues.

You can build a 20-drive array with one of these: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4451#ov and three of these: http://dx.com/p/4-port-sata-pci-express-controller-card-for-desktop-black-139319. You can take that to 24 (and about the limit for the number of drive letters you can have), with one PCI card like this: http://dx.com/p/silicon-image-4-port-sata-pci-expansion-card-4660 I use the PCI model and it works great with 3TB drives under Win7 x64, and I use Homegroup/Windows Shares to access files from stationary and mobile clients.

That many drives will need a bunch of fans, don't skimp on on cooling. You should have enough caddies and cubbyholes to mount all the drives. You may want to think about a custom enclosure for this project, even if it's a bit ghetto. Drives need to be kept stable and cool for best performance, don't neglect.

Good Luck.

@stalker...

SFF??? for atleast 10 HDD's??? No!!

I want one roomy.

@cranky...

Thanks make. Let me check.

But thats why I am ready to spend a bit more for cases like this. Isnt that enough??? I cant build one mate. No skill or contacts.

1. Any idea where can i get that board??? :(
2. How can i get 3 of those cards? Only one PCIe port. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
SFF can work well for upto 8 (maybe even 9 drives). Not sure about cases supporting 10 drives. Take a look at the Fractal Design Node 304, LL 354, LL Q25 & LL Q08.

Make sure you get a super beefy/quality powersupply.

But thats why I am ready to spend a bit more for cases like this. Isnt that enough??? I cant build one mate. No skill or contacts.

You don't have to make a case from the ground up. You can get 9 disks into a bog-standard Elite 370 (I have 7 in mine and 2 or 3 bays still empty) using the right adapters, big ones can be modded to hold more. CM has some 4-in-3 modules you might want to try.

1. Any idea where can i get that board??? :( None at all. You have to start that hunt by yourself. Almost all A85 boards have 7 SATA ports at least, as the chipset offers 8 native ports. That was just an example.
2. How can i get 3 of those cards? Only one PCIe port. :( As mndar below your post mentions, PCIe 1x cards work fine in x16 and x8/x4 slots. Reverse is actually also true, if you can get a physical fit (a x1 slot, if cut properly at its rear stop, can run a 16x card though it will run at 1x).

Don't underestimate power supply requirements. 10 drives will be about 200-250W on their own (and yes, you have to keep maximum delivery capability in mind), and 20 will be 400-500W. I would think a high quality 600W supply like the Seasonic X650 is the way to go. You could dip to the bronze SII series, but keep the max delivery in mind always.

okay, im going to go on a limb here, this is what i would build (and i did just that in jan this year)
a intel b75 combo setup (get the GB B75M-D3H+Intel pentium g645) for 7k
4gb of ram, corsair value select is more than enough for 2k
a good psu, i would look at the seasonic s2 series
get a cm cabby (the stryker since you have narrowed down to it)
and then the 500gb drive as boot. and since you will need more sata ports, i would get an add in card like the one cranky suggest :)

ps-the intel combo can be swapped out for a AMD apu kit too :)

Did you not read what I/cranky just posted?

Why do you need to spend 12k on a cabinet?

Another consideration is, what OS are you going to be running? Will this just be a file server (windows would suffice), or do you want all the additional benefits something like FreeNAS/ZFS provide (Would need a good amount of RAM).

Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 Or anything if u guys think is best

Once you have rest of the hardware figured out, give a thought to adding another PCIe Gigabit NIC.
Then Bond (as it is called in Linux) or Team (as it called in Windows) the two network interfaces to get better network throughput.
Note: Teaming in Windows is possible only with specific hardware. Need to read up more about this.

@cyberwarfare @stalker

Answering together as it overlaps

1. I am putting more RAM, as my files are kinda big. :S I have 40 GB files. and also, in future i want to have NAS capability. I don't have the money to spend on new HDD set. Atleast i want 10TB in Raid 1. :( It means 10*2TB HDD.So that i can run anything. But please suggest the best options. :). WHS is what i am hoping too. :D
2. The mobo combo that u gave is very very nice. :D. I also had similar idea. But extra on board cards.. Can u suggest some good ones? I was wary of cheap SATA controller cards.
3. PSU.. It should support 10 ~12 HDD's without breaking sweat and must be very efficient. So please suggest some models
4. Cabinet. :( :(

I dont want a crampy cabinet. I want a roomier ones. I DONT want to spend 25k on a cabby. But Cosmos 2 is like built for HDD's. Otherwise. Styker with CM 4 in 3 modules.

Otherwise which cabbies do u guys suggest?

@mndar.

NIC's. I am thinking abt it. Intel one. But I am not able to understand how that is going to help me properly. :S. Isnt single Gigabit Ethernet/ N Wifi enough?. Around 1 PC\4 Laptops and couple of tabs and mobiles.
Not all together. Perhaps.

Did you not read what I/cranky just posted?

Why do you need to spend 12k on a cabinet?

Another consideration is, what OS are you going to be running? Will this just be a file server (windows would suffice), or do you want all the additional benefits something like FreeNAS/ZFS provide (Would need a good amount of RAM).

i did read what you guys posted, but i have a reason for recommending a good cabby. the additional cooling will be worth it, as will the cable management. since his budget can accommodate it, why not go the extra mile and get it. im sure it will pay off long term. data is far more important, atleast for me

@cyberwarfare @stalker

Answering together as it overlaps

1. I am putting more RAM, as my files are kinda big. :S I have 40 GB files. and also, in future i want to have NAS capability. I don't have the money to spend on new HDD set. Atleast i want 10TB in Raid 1. :( It means 10*2TB HDD.So that i can run anything. But please suggest the best options. :). WHS is what i am hoping too. :D
4gb ram will be more than enough even for a NAS setup. So long as its a file server and not a HTPC. But if you feel that you do require ram, an additional stick can always be purchased seperately
2. The mobo combo that u gave is very very nice. :D. I also had similar idea. But extra on board cards.. Can u suggest some good ones? I was wary of cheap SATA controller cards.
my knowledge about good AIB cards is quite low, so ill stay away from suggesting any specific ones
3. PSU.. It should support 10 ~12 HDD's without breaking sweat and must be very efficient. So please suggest some models
a seasonic x series PSU would be absolutely great. the 600w is more than enough and leaves a lot of room for future upgrades too
4. Cabinet. :( :(
im still going to vote for the stryker, for the reasons mentioned above.

I dont want a crampy cabinet. I want a roomier ones. I DONT want to spend 25k on a cabby. But Cosmos 2 is like built for HDD's. Otherwise. Styker with CM 4 in 3 modules.

Otherwise which cabbies do u guys suggest?

Answered in bold :)

NIC's. I am thinking abt it. Intel one. But I am not able to understand how that is going to help me properly. :S. Isnt single Gigabit Ethernet/ N Wifi enough?. Around 1 PC\4 Laptops and couple of tabs and mobiles.
Not all together. Perhaps.
For that few devices I guess it's not worth adding another NIC.

I said i would LIKE to have RAID. Not now. Anyways, backup is what i am shooting for. But again, no money for new HDD's so.

Ah. Then Win 7 itself. But some new Home server OS is coming based on it i think.

Ok... How about this Config..

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM...Rs. 4290
AMD A10-5800K...Rs. 7802
ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 Motherboard...Rs. 8275

Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2UK 850 Watts PSU...Rs. 8702
WD Caviar Blue 500 GB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD5000AAKX)..Rs. 3655
Cooler Master Cosmos II Black...Rs. 25137

Total.. Rs. 57861

I don't want to change the cabinet. I checked the stryker ones with CM 4 in 3. It comes to about 16~17k. I will get the Cosmos 2.
And the PSU and the HDD is also confirmed. Unless anyone has any strong opinions.

But the RAM+Mobo+CPU is definitely not required for this much. Please give me some other options. Including the SATA add on cards.

Why not Seasonic? and why did you just completely ignore cyberwarfare's point about just getting simple 'value' RAM? Even Corsair 'value' RAM will be cheaper than 'Vengeance'. Unless that is, all you care about is how the RAM 'looks'.

I still think spending 25k on a cabinet is ridiculous/stupid.

Also, please take the time to read this - http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31745-data-recovery-tales-raid-is-not-backup

AFAIK, cranky also played around with stuff like RAID before finally settling on a solution involving multiple manual copies of data.

Actually. Only reason behind that RAM is the looks. Last build also i wanted one. But went with value. And the price difference is not that much. So. There.

And yea 25k for a case is ridiculous. But show me an alternative. You keep saying not to go, but you are not giving a solution.[DOUBLEPOST=1370041360][/DOUBLEPOST]and u dont seem to read properly. I am NOT going for RAID now. No money for new HDD's. All my HDD's are filled. Need a nice cozy place to plonk it and access it.

I am even looking into off the shelf DAS. but not so luck. Primeabgb had some RAIDON's. But dunno. Or Even Multibay HDD enclosure.[DOUBLEPOST=1370041470][/DOUBLEPOST]Seasonic, is nearing 10k. The PSU i had is cheaper.

If you followed the link, you would have read that RAID is NOT useful for backup (regardless of whether you want to do it now or in the future).

Aren't you in the US right? There have been frequent deals on the 650/750watters. (in the $80-100 range). that's about half of what you would pay in India. Same applies to RAM. 8 Gigs goes for around $50. Around 20-30% less than what you would pay in India.

Cranky pointed you at an Elite which would take 7 HDDS out of the box for a fraction of the price.

Also, don't take this in the wrong sense, but it might help to evaluate if you even need all this storage? How often do you go back to rewatch all those tv shows & movies?

Back