Storage Solutions strange error with hard drive

path

Disciple
Hi
Ive been running into a strange error with an old hard drive of mine. When I boot up into it I can usually use it just fine. Then after a while suddenly the drive vanishes from the windows disk management (sometimes after a couple of days). Only way to get it back is rebooting. But I dont see any SMART errors when I use hd tune. Any ideas?

thanks

well I have 4 other hard disks so it cant be a power problem over all, but I guess I could swap out just its power cable. Unfortunately the hdd just vanished off my system for good, so scanning is now out.

path said:
well I have 4 other hard disks so it cant be a power problem over all, but I guess I could swap out just its power cable. Unfortunately the hdd just vanished off my system for good, so scanning is now out.

errr....It CAN if you are using a generic PSU and putting too much load on it :p try disconnecting ALL other drives ither than the OS drive and this one and tehn check.

+ which PSU are you using?

Im using a corsair 630 watt psu, so Id be surprised if thats the cause of the problem. But I guess shit happens, so Ill check it out :)

so turns out the drive controller is out. Ouch. I found some place here in bangalore (digicomp), willing to see if they can replace it. Anyone else know other places in bangalore?

Don't know the names but there are a number of shops on SP Road. I got an HDD fixed when I was in college, asked around 6 to 8 places before I settled on one. You get very different rates from different shops so you might want to double/treble check. Sorry can't remember the name of the place, but it was a pretty old HDD and it cost me about Rs 300 to replace the logic board if I remember correctly.

Back