Strange job offer from an unknown stranger

rootyme

Adept
I just received a call from UP. And I am not sure what to make of it.

The call stated with the guy mentioning the name of the "transporation" company and the vacancies it has. He went on to elucidate a very comprehensive detail on the work profile to expect, the salary and everything along that. But I was wondering how this guy had my number. I have not applied for anything yet so was not expecting any such random job offer out of the blue. He then asked me my name and my location. :angelic:

When inquired, the guy said that he got my number from his senior. Who, I wondered. 'Dinesh' he said. The only Dinesh I know is "Dinesh Karthik" the wicketkeeper batsman from Tamil Nadu. I am far far away from both of these states. So far away that there'd be a triangle if you draw three lines joining the three different states. I am sure Dinesh Karthik has no idea about my existence.

I asked more questions. How did this Dinesh get my number, I inquired. From a group he said. What group? No idea. WhatsApp group? He nodded. But I am not on any WhatsApp group. Lol

He then asked me what I am doing these days. I said I am studying. He asked what? I said I am not comfortable with sharing since I never applied for anything.

He then finished the call saying that he enjoyed talking with me.

Last edited:
I got a call too from UP.
Saying a girl has lost her purse and it has adhaar card and all and she knows you. I asked - how you got my number?.
He said the girl had kept in a paper in her purse.

Main bola ladkhiyan mera number kagaz ke tukre mein likh ke ghum rahi hai aaj kal ....."Hum Itna famous aur hum ko hi nahi pata...." Then I also did some masti on the call and last mein I said I dont know anyone with that name .

The caller said okay and finish the call.

He said the girl had kept in a paper in her purse.

Main bola ladkhiyan mera number kagaz ke tukre mein likh ke ghum rahi hai aaj kal ....."Hum Itna famous aur hum ko hi nahi pata...."
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I mean my call also ended on a similar tone. The guy said that he enjoyed talking to me. If it were a girl, I could understand her enjoying the talk with me but a guy!!

For an unsuspecting individual, this is where the confusion stems from. What was there to enjoy in a call to a complete stranger? Seems like a new kind of social engineering.
never share personal details on the phone call if you don't know who they are
Didn't share my name or anything. Just mentioned my state when he asked my location. I am way way too far.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I mean my call also ended on a similar tone. The guy said that he enjoyed talking to me. If it were a girl, I could understand her enjoying the talk with me but a guy!!

For an unsuspecting individual, this is where the confusion stems from. What was there to enjoy in a call to a complete stranger? Seems like a new kind of social engineering.
Just unemployment is on rise and people are ready to do anything to make quick money.

Every day hundreds are being scammed.
Just few days ago I read court ordered Bank of Baroda to return 76 lakh to a company account that got scammed because no OTP was sent too.

The bank refuse to pay but the company took it to court.

Asa haal hai hamare desh ka.
I don't blame any govt. And neither want to start political debate but reality is these scams are becoming very normal now.

That girl wala call is not just first time . I have got calls in name of SBI...asking me for OTP . I said why he said because we are raising the benefits of your card...you get free dinner at five star hotel , two plane tickets free to Singapore.....I said but bank only says not to give OTP...and then he got very aggressive.
" Main bank se hi bol reha hu...card block kar dunga and all".

You're lucky then, I get at least 1-2 per hour, my phone number is 10+ years old so I guess it has spread to every spammers database. I had to give in and buy truecaller premium recently.

May be he was a bi or a gay and wanted to have a fling with a stranger irrespective of gender.
No. But I checked later. Truecaller didn't show anything suspicious regarding this number. Just the location and a name mentioned that's all. I barely get such calls.
Now mark him suspicious.

for safe side, do not keep talking if you came to know spam/advertising/fake/wrong number, you don't know may be while on call they may collecting some details from your phone (I don' know how but it may possible, after all we all are using Android !!!).

Keep thumb rule, BLOCK - BLOCK & BLOCK each and every unwanted/unknown/spam/adv./wrong number calls, it may 99% protect you from any future misuse/phishing.

may be while on call they may collecting some details from your phone (I don' know how but it may possible, after all we all are using Android !!!).
Is this an actual threat? Hacking with a simple phone call? I can understand them making the victim do things but what can be done through a VoLTE call?

Is this an actual threat? Hacking with a simple phone call? I can understand them making the victim do things but what can be done through a VoLTE call?
hackers are STEP ahead in Technology + no dearth of innocent and greedy people , this 3 things makes any thing possible for hackers

No, that is not possible. Please don't spread misinformation and fearmongering unless you have some credible, reliable source to backup whatever you're saying.

Back