Strange problem with BSNL data usage.

Hello everyone,
I have a major issue with my BSNL Broadband connection. I have 500C. So I used to hibernate the machine
with Scheduler set to wake up at 2:00 am and download torrents. The entire system is off till
2:am EXCEPT the modem. (UTSTARCOM 300R2U). I have checked the usage in the BSNL portal and found that
almost everyday from around 12:AM to 2:15 am , there is a huge data transfer (around 200 MB !).
I have no idea how this is happening. What the hell my modem is doing during that time? I will hibernate
the system at around 10:00 pm. But the usage starts after 12 in the midnight.

Please help me. Note that I have set a port open (in the modem set the ip of the machine) thats all.

thanks in advance.
Anand:huh:
Bangalore.

Your modem remains connected with the BSNL server even when your system is hibernated. This is why your account page shows some data transfer before 2AM. All you need to do is restart your modem after 2 am everynight and then start downloading. You better dial using bridge mode and schedule your dialer to connect automatically @2:05 AM and disconnect @7:55 AM. For more information check this out-> http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/the-perfect-bsnl-night-unlimited-solution-112337.html

Hi all,
thanks for the suggestion. My problem is
I am not willing to change to Bridge mode since I have only Windows firewall
In PPoe, I am trying to execute a script which should reboot my modem. But it has a small error.

telnet 192.168.1.1 23

SEND "admin\m"
WAIT "Password:"
SEND "admin\m"
WAIT ">"
SEND "reboot\m"

here, after sending the password, its not getting the output as ">". When I press the enter key manually, the rest of the script is getting executed. What I guess is after entering password, in manual case it appears to be a new telnet window with > prompt. How to correct this in automated script?
If I am able to reboot the modem, then everything will get solved. right?

regards,
Anand

Hi Smash,

thanks for the solution. It worked for me. thanks a lot.

But there is an problem. Multiple invocation is not possible until I manually cancel the running task. Do you have any suggestion?

You could use the dial on demand option in the modem now the modem will only connect when there is a request for a connection so you could continue using PPPOE mode.

faOhJaabD

I am using the same method to start my connection at 2:00AM

Back