Stretching Exercise ?

Dark Star

ex-Mod
I almost screwed my left leg previous year.. The gym is crap though its the one of the best they didn't have proper physician to guide.. Nor a person who can guide stretching ..

Now I used to trademil for 30mins i.e 20mins of running composed of speed varying b.w 9-10 kmph and 5mins of rigorous ranging b.w 14-12 kmph...

I didn't do too much or to be precise nill stretching .. No trainer for that and the so called sir don't give shit abt the members.. Even if I ask him he tell me a lame exercise and get to his work i.e guide all girls :mad: ...All he do is training girls and giving crap abt us:mad:

I am started to feel that I might start the same pain that I used to have in previous year in my left leg.. I didn't want that to happen again... I even requested the owner to appoint a trainer specifically for stretching ... lets see if he can ?

But I don't wanna give up like I did last year due to utter pain that I develop while running in trademil and on roads... Mostly 1-2hrs of running everyday..2 times a day...

Kindly suggest me some good stretching exercise for legs which shouldn't require help .. Should I show my left leg to some doc ? .. You know there is no one to guide or even bother helping me in the crap gym :mad:

Regards

Which part of your leg is paining ?

Its better you go and meet a physiotherapist , looks like your gym doesn't have one.

The region of calf muscle basically.. I try do some stretching but its not worth and its too less :(

Man I am so pissed with the trainer that I might kick him some day. :mad::lol:

why dont u tie so called bands ..i mean like knee bands...same might b coming for calf region.....

Even i used to get sprain muscle in my left leg...and i used to get same while doing strtches...i used to tie those fracture type cloth on legs.....that did help me reduce the same....but i would suggest try some genuine bands related to part of the body

^knee band will help the knee only, i have used it. For calf am not sure if there is any tie or stuff. Its better he gets a physio checkup as its a recurring issue for him.

Dark Star said:
The region of calf muscle basically.. I try do some stretching but its not worth and its too less :(

Man I am so pissed with the trainer that I might kick him some day. :mad::lol:

Why not complain to the owner if you arent getting proper attention?
Or take refund and go to some better gym..

And please do visit a doctor before there is some permanent or serious damage..

Don't run instead walk for 30 mins till you legs are back to normal

I know some really good exercise for knee strengthening, those did wonders to my knee when ligaments were damaged.

I've had the same symptoms after after stretching exercise

started recently and i think it could be due to nerve damage speculation only...

while walking pain is confined to the calf muscles region

so my walking speed has reduced considerably

i've not consulted any doctors yet but if this continues my brisk walking will be hampered surely...

Run on the tread mill only 30min at a time and not more than twice in one workout. Make sure the tread mill is not inclined. Don't hold on to it while running if you do . You could try and start with light calf raises if you can & if doesn't pain. Make them stronger. Lightly massage them. Google for some yoga exercises for the calf muscle.

@ Saiyaan - can you please elaborate about the knee exercises? I have some knee issues myself which I need sorted out. I have just started on a few exercises to strengthen the quadriceps. I seem to have strained my knees due to overwork, and so I need to get them in order. Its not unbearable right now, more like a niggle, but I don't want it to aggravate. Seems like a case of "runner's / jumper's knee" - the terms that I found on the web :p

@ Darkstar - you can get a calf support to help support the calf muscles. However, it doesn't solve the problem. Your calf muscles are not strong enough to take the load while you are running. You need to do some strengthening exercises to make it stronger. There are some available on youtube, I google searched for others as well (I was looking for muscles strengthening around the knee, as it seems wobbly lately). But the best bet would be to consult a physiotherapist / sports trainer / orthopedist.

Cheers

~M

Changed the trainer today.. The new trainer told me some calf muscle exercise and its feels a bit better .. after doing that I was able to run at 12kmph though I think I overdid a bit.. will reduce my running exercise and hopefully have great schedule from tomorrow :)

BTW they are appointing a stretching trainer and physiotherapist from 1'st :yahoo:

man i think u should consult an ortho...if u remember i had also asked a similar question a while back here....turns out i have shin splits and minor slip disc..

i really suggest u show to the doc even if its just a small pain..

Hi! I go to the gym everyday and I am from CHD itself. Well in most cases there is always some part of the body that starts to hurt. Unless you think that it is very severe there is not much to worry about. Although as you would want to continue gym-ing I would suggest get it checked. The doc would probably just say take rest... well thats bull shit. Use a band like thing for the shin. that would cover your calf too. Other than that for stretching you can try sit-ups/squats, lunges... and for calf specific you can try calf raises(this is not stretching.)

Cheers and good luck! :)

Dark Star said:
Changed the trainer today.. The new trainer told me some calf muscle exercise and its feels a bit better .. after doing that I was able to run at 12kmph though I think I overdid a bit.. will reduce my running exercise and hopefully have great schedule from tomorrow :)

BTW they are appointing a stretching trainer and physiotherapist from 1'st :yahoo:

Stop running you bugger :p

mallik said:
@ Saiyan - can you please elaborate about the knee exercises? I have some knee issues myself which I need sorted out. I have just started on a few exercises to strengthen the quadriceps. I seem to have strained my knees due to overwork, and so I need to get them in order. Its not unbearable right now, more like a niggle, but I don't want it to aggravate. Seems like a case of "runner's / jumper's knee" - the terms that I found on the web :p

I did three exercises.

1.Sit down on the floor with your back resting firmly on the wall. Keep a medicine ball (2kg) below your knee. Now raise your leg while pressing the ball and keep it still for say 10~12 secs and lower your leg. Do this for 10 times (I think i did only 1 set).

2.Next remove the medicine ball & in the same position take a exercise rope, put it around your feet and hold the handles with your hand, move your feet forward and your hand towards your stomach. Do this for 2 sets , 10 times each.

3. Then there is this sandbag weighing 2kg which you can tie to your ankle. Take a inflated medicine ball or fitness ball (don't know the right term), position it against the wall such that your knee rests on it and lift your leg. Count till 5 and lower your leg, 2 sets 10 times each.

This is what i did for two months and results were really good, now i can run @ 14kmph without any issues for 10 mins, haven't pushed myself more than that at that speed. Can keep running for 20 mins @ 12kmph.

Wear knee band or cover or whatever you call it while walking/running till your issue is solved.

Hope this helps, i have personally did these and it worked. :)

^ Ya wearing knee bands while playing / cycling. The problem is that I get knee pain even while I sit on my chair in the office for too long in the same position. Maybe my posture / chair height is not proper. I have to get this fitness ball. Any idea where I'll get it in Mumbai ?

Thanks for the tips btw. I had visited an uncle who is an orthopedist and he had also suggested the 3rd exercise with a sand bag

However, have been lazy to get the sand although I have the bag :p

But I guess I need to be more particular now, can't take chances with the knee.

Thanks a lot !

~M

Google for something called "Zhang Zhuang". Stand in the first and second positions for an 1/2-1 hour everyday for a week or so, and you should notice considerable improvment.
Give it a shot before passing judgment on it. Good luck, :)

Back