Audio Stuck between ear phones or Headphones

kanand72

Disciple
Hi ...have bought the clip+ recently after reading a lot of good things 'bout it...But now need to get some decent phones to go with them..Not able to decide whether to buy head phones or ear phones...budget is ~ 2K....Whats the main difference between the 2 in terms of the sound ?
the suggestions on this site in case of earphones seem to be NE6 or RE-2 depending on the taste...what about in case of head phones.

Thanx

It depends on how you will be using it. If you are going to listen to music while travleing/outside, you won't be able to use big headphones on your head without looking stupid. Most people would prefer using earphones while commuting.

There is quite some difference in the overall sound between earphones and headphones. In general, headphones would have a much better soundstage than earphones and would give a better feeling of 'fullness' of sound.

For headphones, my suggestion would be Koss KSC75 or maybe PortaPros if you can increase your budget. Both these are portable headphones so you can use them while traveling.

If going for earphones, my suggestion would be RE2. But if you like a lot of bass, NE6 is the way to go.

Thanx man...I think headphones are for me..I would mostly be listening indoors..Outside, I dont mind the stock ear phones...But I like to relax and listen to my music and be completely immersed ..Dont want any distratcions...

So I think I should go for headphones only ..

I mostly listen to Rock --- Floyd, GnR, ...So would these suit my style ?

Can I hear them anywhere here in Hyd ?

If you can still get the Beta Brainwavez M2 on MP4Nation for 50$, then go for it.
Headphones are bulky and can't be tucked away easily in a bag when not using it.
Plus in indian monsoon's hp's will have a shorter life.
I'm saying this assuming your use is portable instead of stationary.

If your gonna use it at home then headphones it is, but i won't be the best person to advice on that since i've never bought headphones in that price range.

Convenience and portability dont seem to be an issue with you as you seem more concerned with difference in SQ between headphones and earphones. If they are then go with earphones hands down. As you'll get the best of both worlds, ease of handling and great SQ.

Headphones provide you with greater levels of isolation from sorrounding obtrusive noice, resulting in a better soundstage overall. As for the options, soundmaster Fah33m should be able to throw some light on that.

arjpillai said:
Convenience and portability dont seem to be an issue with you as you seem more concerned with difference in SQ between headphones and earphones. If they are then go with earphones hands down. As you'll get the best of both worlds, ease of handling and great SQ.

Headphones provide you with greater levels of isolation from sorrounding obtrusive noice, resulting in a better soundstage overall. As for the options, soundmaster Fah33m should be able to throw some light on that.
I'm a bit confused as to what u just said...Yes, to me what matters is the SQ of headphones vs earphones at the same price point..My thinking is that headphones are more convenient for listening....My experience with earbuds ..havent used any IEMs ...

If SQ of headphones is same or better at the same price point as of IEMs ( ~ 2K) what would the suggestions be...

just saw that Koss KSC75 is available on ebay for ~ 1.7K and the portapro ~ 3 K ..

arjpillai said:
On the contrary, it is IEM's that provide a better isolation than headphones. Since an iem sits in your ear canal rather than around or on your ear.

bennysachdev said:
On the contrary, it is IEM's that provide a better isolation than headphones. Since an iem sits in your ear canal rather than around or on your ear.
Really:S.... although the IEM does sit in the ear canal, isolation is really all about the right sizes of earbuds one uses with the IEM. An improper fit really does hamper the SQ.
That said, i thought the Headphones would be better at isolation since they cut off noise at an earlier stage.
OP, get in touch with Fah33m for the answer to your query.

It depends on what headphones and what IEMs are used. :p

Open headphones don't have very good isolation, while closed headphones have decent isolation.

IEMs in general have good isolation, but with some tips, it might not be so good.

@OP - You will have to first choose if you want an IEM or headphones. Headphones generally have better sound quality than IEMs at the same price point. But it all really depends if you are just going to use it at home or if you will be using it while commuting.

arjpillai said:
Really:S.... although the IEM does sit in the ear canal, isolation is really all about the right sizes of earbuds one uses with the IEM. An improper fit really does hamper the SQ.
That said, i thought the Headphones would be better at isolation since they cut off noise at an earlier stage.
OP, get in touch with Fah33m for the answer to your query.
Think of it this way, if ur iem is not giving you a good isolation, all you have to do is get a tip which fits you best. Most iems come with different tip sizes to fit your ears.
If your headphone doesn't give you a good isolation, what can you do.........nothing!!

viralbug said:
@OP - You will have to first choose if you want an IEM or headphones. Headphones generally have better sound quality than IEMs at the same price point. But it all really depends if you are just going to use it at home or if you will be using it while commuting.

Use will be mostly at home only ..So if the SQ of HP is better than IEM at similar price point, HP is the way for me...Any suggestions at ~ 2K ?

Koss Portapro. :)

However you will have to use GEB to get them.

Unfortunately there are a lot of fakes around so you will have to get them from a US seller.

pristinenote is selling them on ebay ....3150 + 100 for shipping...I had got my clip+ from there only...assume that theyre genuine...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

just checked on GEB..its cheaper and is available ~ 2.4 K

Pristine note sells only genuine items for sure. :)

However the price is slightly on the higher side. It retails for aroun $28 on amazon.com which is the genuine price. However they dont ship to India. :(

BF1983 said:
Pristine note sells only genuine items for sure. :)

However the price is slightly on the higher side. It retails for aroun $28 on amazon.com which is the genuine price. However they dont ship to India. :(

Can you post the link

kanand72 said:
The Global Easy buy seems to be a scam..The price quoted for this is ~ 48 - 52 $ ...whereas amazon is offerring from 30...
Not really : They're taking care of shipping + customs + the headache of importing.
On top of that your purchase is protected in case of non-delivery or a scam.

jugaad1 said:
Not really : They're taking care of shipping + customs + the headache of importing.

On top of that your purchase is protected in case of non-delivery or a scam.

What I meant was that the prices were quoted as free shipping ..So I would assume that if free shipping is not there, the price would be much higher ..

Back