Sub 35K Laptop

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Suggest me some laptops around 35K preferably Sub35. It should be able to handle adobe photoshop CS2.

Can be extended to 40 in worst case scenario.

chk out if sahara laptops r available in ur city....made by fujitsu-siemens...a bit on the bulky side but excellent vfm...celeron-m,512mb,40gb,combo,15" et all for just 32k

I dont mind the weight. I dont have to run with it. But my only concern here was that it should not fall below the recommended config of business schools by much. I dont want to buy one again should I decide to go for MBA.
Which is why I said 40K is ok too.

Well Go for the acer 3000 series, aspire 3002 which i have has been discontinued and its followed by 3003 quite a nice package. Check it out here

Dealer price is 37k in Mumbai. Has wifi, 15.4" widescreen, and a dvd writer. Running photoshop wont be a problem. Acer has gone ahead and given 8-celled 4400 mAH batteries but still the battery life is a lil over 2 hrs. Good VFM buy.

hehe welcome dude.. Btw forgot to mention , get extra RAM stick installed while purchase. They create a lot of fuss later on. Buy a stick of 512 MB DDR RAM @ 333 mhz and ask them to install it while buying and get the acer seal installed again. 256 MB RAM is just not enough, 64 goes for the shared graphics.

Your budget is strictly sub 40k, but cant resist mentioning, to consider the 4600 series of acer. Dealer price If I am not wrong is 52.5k Dunno how Acer could reduce the price for it soo much. Awesome deal and VFM.

Well there are 2 seals as such on both the acer laptops i have. One where the hard disk is placed and the other in the middle portion. I havent ever done it, but I doubt if it can be opened without breaking the seal. My dealer created a lot of fuss because I insisted on getting my own memory installed. And btw, what manual are you talking about ? The first use booklet or something like that din have any instructions for adding additional RAM.

Its good if we could install additional RAM outself without nulling of the warranty. Which acer laptop did ya notice these things?

Alright I was too sure of aspire3003 but...
There is this HP compaq nx6125 for the same price.. with some things better and some less. Can someone compare/dissect these two for me. I have to take the lappie on wednesday.
http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Compaq_nx6125/4507-3121_7-31417988.html?tag=sub

How upgradeable are the laptop components should I choose to upgrade after a month or so.

BTW the most important thing that HP one misses is bright screen.

I researched abt laptops when my dad wanted to buy one and after readinf the user reviews, I came to the conclusion that HP/Compaq sucks!!!!

Of course, this was abt 8 months back and they may have changed since then. I remember reading a review for a particular model and the reviewer gavew it very high marks and the users gave it negative!!! said that it keeps conking off and the after sales support is quite bad.

This was the general impression I got abt HP/Compaq. As I said, they may have changed. Maybe the newer ones are more reliable and the after sales service may be better. But I have a mental block abt Hp/Compaq.

I suggest you go for the Acer. But this is just my view.

The compaqs which u get in the US and the 1s u get here rae poles apart in terms of quality, with surprosingly the better lot arrving in india ....

go figure :p

hey Renegade, is that model available in india?

hp/compaq only publicize the nx6110 as their entry level model. which costs ~ 35k. they publish those huge ads in mags stating notebooks on centrino platform for 35k and when you check the actual site the 35 k model has a celeron M. i kinda like the way Acer sells typical configs in particular models which are clearly stated on the website. like when the 3002 is phased out, its replaced by 3003 on their page.

i too recommend the acer for the simple reason its VFM.

i keep my laptop on almost 20 hrs everyday from the past 6 months, that speaks volumes... and no probs whatsoever.

Not much upgrade possible except for the memory.

superczar said:
The compaqs which u get in the US and the 1s u get here rae poles apart in terms of quality, with surprosingly the better lot arrving in india ....
go figure :p

Oh ok SuperCzar!!! Thanks. I just posted my views there.... Thanks for telling me. BTW, If I remember correctly, dont you have a Hp or a Compaq??

Avoid HP / Compaq.....They will make more money out of you by providing "Paid" after sales service....since their products are "uniquely" customised as per what "They" think their customers want ...... and since the co. is run by "Professionals", The proffesionals need a constant source of revenue to keep the Kitchen fires burning ...which is collected from gullible customers in the form of after sales service.

Fujitsu, Dell, Acer, IBM (levono) make good models in ur price range. select one as per ur needs.

TW, If I remember correctly, dont you have a Hp or a Compaq??

Yup...And so far, it's been good....No warranty stickers on the HDD/RAM/Mini PCI slots either so absolutely no hitches there

@deejay
since their products are "uniquely" customised as per what "They" think their customers want

Don't really get this one,..In what sense?

BTW I saw a Thinkpad R51 (Celeron M based) coming for 35 K

IMHO Thinkpads are the most rugged and dependable of mainstream laptops....

There is also a Compaq (V23something) for 35K which has teh advantage of a rather bright & sharp widescreen and Altec Lansing speakers which make it excellent for watching movies :p

Don't know much about Acers but so far, I've had a good experience with both Compaq and Thinkpads

You won't get Celeron-M based lappys from dell in India therefore that goes outta ur budget(+ Dell, Toshiba and Fujitsu way overprice their machines in India (Only) and IMHO, they are worth buying obnly if buying in the US/SG else they are not worth )

Now if u really wanna keep ur budget limited to 35K, you'll have to settle for a Celeron_M machine

(And they are not bad at all, exactly the same as a P-M but with 1MB L2 cache (compared to 2MB on the Dothan core P-Ms and 1MB on the older Banias core) and they lack deep sleep mode)

However, if u want a Dothan P-M only, you'll have to push ur budget to at least 40-42K at which price you'll get :

Acer- don't know

Thinkpad: R-51 XGA based on P-M 725 for ~43K

Compaq V2356 SWXGA based on P-M 725 again for ~44K

IMHO, If buying in India, go with Thinkpad/Compaq/Acer as they at least have the business sense to price their models competitilvely and at par with the prvaining International rates....

Unlike Dell/Toshiba/Fujitsu, they at least do not try to fleece Indian customers by pricing a sub 1000$ notebook at 60-70K

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah I am spending 40K for the aspire 3003.
main concern were the laptops without bright screen.. coz generally they have very dull display.

just check out on one thing....Though AMD definitely rules the roost (For most folks in-the-know) in hte desktop market, the Dothan core processors (Intel) are supposed to be the best bet in the notebook space!

AFAIK, the Dothans run much cooler and give much better battery life on notebooks vis-a-vis the mobile semprons and 64s

One nnotebook I can't help recommending to anyone lanning to buy one of late is the Compaq V2356 with its ultra bright screen and AL speakers for 44-45K...just check the specs on the compaq india site

You can serach for reviews by googling for the V2000 series

hmm..funny, can you post the exact model number?

I am using one of the V2000 series (V2010 or V2020, somethng like that)

and the screen brighntess and quality is much better than any notebook that I have seen

The screen was the primary reason I had bougth it

edit: just rememebred I have a pic of that next to a Thinkpad R50e in the rig gallery

The clarity is not very discernible because of the Cam pic though, but both the lappies are running on full brightness though

Back