Laptops Subnote decision

Ank1t

Skilled
Hi all,

Well I've been following this segment of notebooks for a while now and its time to make a decision and I'm pretty confused! Heres the deal with the two models i have in mind :

Acer Aspire One - 1.6ghz, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram, 8.9" led back lit display, 6 cell battery, 0.3mp webcam etc

Pros : Bigger HDD, better display, much cheaper

Cons : Smaller keyboard, wifi seems to have big issues, mousepad is a little weird,

Asus 1000(H) - 1.6ghz, 80gb hdd, 1gb ram, 10" lcd tft, 6 cell battery, 1.3mp webcam etc

Pros : Relatively decent size keyboard, good build, good wifi,

Cons : Difference b/w AAO and this is +$130, smaller HDD

The wind is also in the picture but when priced along the lines of the Asus, i would prefer the 1000(H).

I didn't put size+weight as issues as they're pretty much the same for both though i guess the Asus would be slightly better with the bigger screen and keyboard.

I've used the Aspire One in Croma and it wasn't bad really..though it was smaller than i expected. Wish i could use the 1000(H) also somewhere..

So heres the thing, I dont mind spending that extra $$ but what i am in fix about is whether it is worth it to pay that much?

Had also thought of waiting for the Dell E but as of now it doesn't look like they'll have a big HDD version out and the price wouldn't be great either i guess. Plus, the biggest reason is that i have to order it in the next 5-7 days max!

Would highly appreciate it if anyone has some inputs! :)

TIA

Check out reviews for both the Acer and the Asus 1000 in the reviews section :) Might help you make up ur mind. Also, Building the perfect Netbook | Crave, the gadget blog - CNET is good. Ignore the conclusion and make up your own mind depending on ur needs :)

+hat issues with Wifi on the Acer? I didnt hit anything so askin :ashamed:

EDIT: For reference, read this: The Acer Guy Wireless problems with the Aspire One

EDIT EDIT: Keep in mind that they tested the Linux version of the Aspire, with only 512Mb RAM and an 8 gb SSD running Linux.

Ank1t said:

The link I posted has similar references from some people, but hopefully its an isolated issue :) I didnt face any issues personally, but who knows, now at least 2 of my friends have these, will keep people posted ;)

Well hope so cuz i might just pick this up ;)

Keep us informed on the wifi issue! And yeah, if possilbe, try and do an informal wifi range test. Like how many rooms apart would you get a decent signal or so :)

Ank1t said:
Well hope so cuz i might just pick this up ;)

Keep us informed on the wifi issue! And yeah, if possilbe, try and do an informal wifi range test. Like how many rooms apart would you get a decent signal or so :)

I did a basic test actually :) The signal was decent even in places where the E701 had some issues ;)

N dont ask me teh distance, all I know is that its someone elses wifi in my building :p

The E701 showed 2 bars while this showed 3 in the same place :p

Ankit, Why not get the 10k version(2gb) and add an external 640gb WD for 3k??
Or if u hav a desktop, then just a 4gb-8gb pen drive/memory card(micro sd same rates as pendrives)..
There really isnt much difference in the models except 2'more sceen..right??
When you're goin small why not a few more inches:p

Saves lotsa moola..

Party Monger said:

Or if u hav a desktop, then just a 4gb-8gb pen drive/memory card(micro sd same rates as pendrives)..

Saves lotsa moola..

Well i do want an usable laptop you know ;)

The 7" IMO is not.. Plus the keyboard is way too cramped for my liking. Those extra 2" make a diff.. extra 3" make a bigger diff :)

techie_007 said:
I did a basic test actually :) The signal was decent even in places where the E701 had some issues ;)

N dont ask me teh distance, all I know is that its someone elses wifi in my building :p

The E701 showed 2 bars while this showed 3 in the same place :p

Hmm.. any idea how it is compared to a normal laptop?

Party Monger said:

Saves lotsa moola..

Have you tried out the 701? Trust me, the 2 inches more screen makes a huge difference in usage. With the uncommon resolution on the 7" one, you will be scrolling continuously for anything that you want to so :) If your on a very tight budget then yes, but if you can afford it, you need 1024X600 :)

EDIT I personally don't see much od a diff between the 9" and the 10" esp since they both have the same resolution so you are not losing any screen area :)

+ yes, the keyboard too, the one on the 7" is too cramped. The larger ones are easier to use if you want to do any typing.

Ank1t said:
Well i do want an usable laptop you know ;)

The 7" IMO is not.. Plus the keyboard is way too cramped for my liking. Those extra 2" make a diff.. extra 3" make a bigger diff :)
Hmm.. any idea how it is compared to a normal laptop?

Hmm..Fair enough..But i do hope you hav tried it..
@Techie..yeah tried it..the approx 15k difference is not justified though..:no:

Party Monger said:
@Techie..yeah tried it..the approx 15k difference is not justified though..:no:

Depends on how much you will be using it :) If for longer then you better be comfortable ;)

Party Monger said:
Have tried the EEE 7" and the the Aspire one.

delguy19 said:
try to buy asus if u can if. and if cannot because of price go for wind i still tell everyone try to be away from acer

Yeah well lets see.. but leanin towards the acer at the moment though

techie_007 said:
Depends on how much you will be using it :) If for longer then you better be comfortable ;)

exactly

Party Monger said:

I think thats just speculation.

Reason:

1. No details or comments in the form of a press release anywhere else :)

2. The pricing is too low for the specs quoted.

3. Its not been launched anywhere in the world yet and I wont fall for the fact that India can be first ;)

Sure, it will come soon. Both this and the Dell are going to bring some serious competition to the market. Good for us :D

EDIT:

Some better sources. China launch on 5th sept hopefully. US in Oct. Lenovo's IdeaPad S10 netbook ready to order, maybe - Engadget Some writer in a hurry just converted and posted the 430$ price tag as 17k :p

Party Monger said:
Perspective | Lenovo Ideapad S10 | Netbook Updates
Says here that its launched...wait time 2weeks..
maybe thats the whole point of launching it..:p

Up Close with Lenovo’s IdeaPad S10, One Sweet 10-Incher

Pricing: Not really. US prices are 399 and 450$ (80Gb/512Mb RAM and 160Gb/1Gb RAM versions). The guy has just posted conversions of the $ prices into rupees. Do you seriously believe thats going to happen? No extra margin compared to US prices? I doubt that. Mind you, it will be good if that ever happens but I am not holding my breath :)

As for availability:

Lenovo site:

Due to high demand for the new IdeaPad S10 netbooks, we are currently unable to take new orders. Be the first to learn when IdeaPad S10 netbooks are back in stock.

Lets hope it launches in India soon :) (once its available in US, we ll come later i guess) n lets hope pricing is sane. A competitor in the Aspire One bracket would be nice :D

Party Monger said:
Lets hope for the best:)

But Its the best looking of the lot i feel..

+ expresscard slot

- only 2 USB ports compared to 3 on almost all the others :)

Lets wait for reviews ;) Those and the critical Indian pricing will decide whether it has mass appeal or just a niche product :)

Had seen that..its a good 3-4 weeks in my opinion. Won't be able to get it from US then..

Btw, tech2 guys quoted this as well

The Aspire One featuring Windows XP Home will now retail for $349 that's just about Rs. 15,500, while the Aspire One with Linpus Linux Lite is priced at $329, that's about Rs. 14,500.

So indian pricing cannot be compared to US like techie said ;)

Back