Suggesstions/Opinions: Samsung i5700 or i7500

Hi,
Just met a old frd after a long time, he had a i7500, was totally impressed with the phone, great screen, running Android 1.5, have never seen a capacitive touch screen before so really like the screen response...
All this for just 15-16k, tried to do my research on the phone, found that there's i5700, which it seems will be getting Android 2.0, also it has a 800 MHz proc compared to the 528 MHz in i7500
Just need some suggestion as to which one is better
Thanks

frankmehta said:
i bought'ed' it!

Things I wanted:
Android, 800 mhz processor, LARGE sensitive AMOLED capacitive screen, multitouch (in the new 2.1 that is being launched soon), push mail, accelerometer, open source (which means one thing: APPS), 1500 MAh battery, 3G.
I was willing to spend 35 k on the phone (which meant the Nexus or the Milestone) but I saw the deal of the week on Ebay. AND I DIDN'T THINK even ONCE.

The 'SPICA' is all I need (this time around and for now)
Only thing missing is radio and LED alerts for different events. I would have also loved 128 MB of RAM more. But then, 12.5 k for this phone AND a free Photo frame. HUH? Was I even ALLOWED to think? NO.

Spica coming soon.... (only show-off section. I HATE writing reviews)

Here's the processor powering this fantastically powerful phone

SAMSUNG's Digital World
Nope. It doesn't have Amoled. The web sources you point to say Amoled based on spy reviews. I've bought the phone from Ebay too and my box says its 65k TFT Capacitative Touchscreen. But guess what, the screen is very very bright and very very good. Much better than I imagined(cos I knew it isnt amoled) Also, you'd be happy to know the Fm support is there in the hardware and a simple hack can activate it, I read on one of the forums. I'd love the LED indicators too(had them on my Blackberry 7100v for missed cals/ sms etc).
I love this phone. Absolutely fantastic. :hap2:Can't wait to update it to 2.0/2.1;)

A nice little review coming up soon. Stay tuned. And people who haven' bought it till now and wanted some opinion, please go ahead and buy it right away. The Ebay deal is with Samsung Warranty and Bill from Smart Shoppers(Chennai).

Frank, you won't need to. This is the best Multimedia enabled Android in the market. IIRC, this is the only android phone that can play divx/xvid files too. You'll love it I'm sure. But again, if you're the types who tries new phones every now and then, you may be bitten by new releases in the Android space by March-April 2010. :D

Hey thanks for your inputs guys.. am close to zeroing onto this phone.. jst awaiting more clarifications regd the internal memory limitations (wrt apps and potential ability to handle/support 2.x soon) and the battery issues.. lets keep the views pouring !

PS: Samsung India website does not have this phone yet but I chked out Samsung S'pore website and found Spica listed there.. it is mentioned TFT and not AMOLED with 16 M colors and not 65 K.. but u guys have observed on the box that its mentioned as 65 K.. jst wondering the exact screen specification and why this discrepancy as the difference is quite large..

Is the 2.0 update confirmed ? I did read the samsung-firmware tweet and samsung sweden's statement , but has there been positive confirmation from Samsung in this regard ? Id really hate to buy this phone and discover that Samsung aint releasing any Android 2.0 .

MA, how is the text input? Is the keyboard iffy? I wouldn't mind if the typing experience was on par with the iPhone. Also, what is very important is AUTO CORRECT. I remember selling my Samsung Omnia 16 Gb for this very reason. QWERTY on screen keyboards are very difficult to type on and typos are normal. Still, the auto correct dictionary should be active and clean up after we leave.

Also, one more question related to text entry: is there a simple keypad (1234567890) input option for non qwerty texting? Like how the 5800 had (abc) on 2, (def) on 3 etc etc. This, along with t9 would make texting quicker as the key sizes would be larger

frankmehta said:
MA, how is the text input? Is the keyboard iffy? I wouldn't mind if the typing experience was on par with the iPhone. Also, what is very important is AUTO CORRECT.

Hi Frank

The text input is on par with iPhone IMAO. It has auto suggest/correct/complete/t9 too. For the numbers, there is a kinda shift key/button on the virtual keypad on extreme left which toggles to numbers.

I found the text input in portrait mode quite alright. The Landscape mode, although has a bigger size virtual keyboard but the text input response is a little laggy and I've read reports suggesting the same. All in all, the text input is adequate. For heavy texters/ smsers/ email writers, one would always suggest a slide out keyboard based phone(like my earlier HTC S710 :D).

Have already installed quite a few apps from the market and will let you know which ones are good/ required.

CAUTION: When setting up/ starting the phone for the first time, please ensure the following( I learnt it the hard way and ended up factory resetiing my phone 20 times on the first day itself):

1. Charge the battery to full before fiddling with the phone
2. Ensure you have GPRS data plan or an active WIFI network before actually starting to use the phone for the first time. This is because it is a Google phone, so you will have to enter your google credentials for the phone to sync all/ any of your required google apps like gmail, gtalk, google maps etc.
3. Airtel users, I hope you know Net on Phone is only HTTP access, so google apps etc wont work on your Spica with only Net On Phone; please get Airtel Mobile Office(GPRS/EDGE) activated on your sim.

Any other problems/ issues/ workarounds/ tricks etc, let me know. I love this phone! Hope you do too. :)

They're both different phone altogether, I do not understand the comparison. One is an Android Smartphone while the other is a multimedia/music touch phone. The only points of comparison (IMAO) maybe that they are both phones, both are touchscreen and available for around the same price(as you've pointed)!

Are you trying to decide between these two?

Well they both are one of the cheapest SMARTphones around. i5700 also offers all that 5800 offers and more isnt it? I didnt go for the 5800 for its camera quality so was wondering how it is in the case of i5700.

sumatrix said:
they are 2 different worls buddy.one runs android and the other symbian.so there is not actual comparison between them.

we can compare bro
when every touchscreen phone can be compared to iPhone be it WM or ANDROID, then why not symbian to android!!

let people give the reason for liking any OS

i hate symbian OS(not a lot to do)

WM(most customizable but still programs hang and most of them are more productive than fun)

OSX(very nice OS, stable, fun, also quite productive with so many apps)

ANDROID (still to use one)

WebOS(still to get the palm pre)

sumatrix said:
they are 2 different worls buddy.one runs android and the other symbian.so there is not actual comparison between them.

Whatever maybe the OS, ultimately what we are going to get in terms of features and capability is what matters.
So no harm in comparisions of features and capability.

Back